Baby Showers

Baby Shower Update, advice please.

Okay, so as some of you may remeber, I recently posted about the possibility that we may not be having a shower.

Out of the blue, a couple who we are close to told us they want to throw a shower. We've started gathering a list of friends and family to invite and it seems like they have the planning in full swing. This is great, we are extremely appreciative.

Tonight my husband was talking to his mom and when he mentioned needing addresses of family members for the shower, she told him our sister in law wants to throw one to.

The advice I need is, do I suggest perhaps they combine showers if sil still wants to throw one? Or do we somehow split the guest list between both? I'm completely lost. Thank you in advance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Shower Update, advice please.

• I would run that idea by the couple that wants to plan you a shower before mentioning it to your MIL or SIL. They might appreciate the hlep, but they might prefer to host the shower on their own. If they don't want to co-host, then you cuold definitely divide up the guest list. Maybe they could do a friends or friends-and-your-family shower, and the in-laws could do a family or their-side-of-the-family shower.
  • Although, I think it is good to check with your current hosts, I would want to talk to your SIL too.  Are you positive that she wants to host something or is there a chance your MIL just told you that?  I guess I am a skeptic since so many people have so much drama with IL's, but I would want to be positve that she wants to throw you a shower and not that she just mentioned it as an aside. 

After knowing that I would approach your friends and ask them if they want to co-host with your SIL or what their thoughts are.  If they say no then I would divide the guest list.  At least it's a good problem to have - the offering of 2 showers. 

• Loading the player...
  • I would probably not try to get them to co-host unless this couple knows your mom and SIL.  Do the friends plan to make tihs a co-ed shower or just women.  If it is co-ed I'm sure you could round up enough names of just friends to make enough people.  Both your moms would be invited to the shower regardless of whether this is a family shower.  You could then just tell your mom and SIL that the guests at their shower would be family (both sides).  Course you really need to check with all the hosts how many they can accomodate.
  • Thank you for the advice ladies. I'll be seeing my MIL tomorrow and my SIL on Friday. I'll talk to them both and let them know the details of what has already been planned and explain that I will talk to the hosts and go from there. = )

• Do 2, one family one friends.  This will make the guest list at each smaller, let each play host which I think they want and make the overall event cheaper for each host.  Plus who wouldn't want 2 parties!
    Keep growing preemie ballerina! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Do two separate: one friends, one family.

You really don't want to put your friends in the middle of family matters which can sometimes become quite dramatic.  Nor do you want to impose dealing with a new personality which may or may not mesh well with theirs, and may or may not have the same vision and taste as theirs.

Let them plan the shower they want and then give SIL the option of hosting one for family or being a guest that the one currently being planned.

• Split the showers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"