Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Question about the 3rd nap...

Hi, I usually post on the 3-6mo board, but I have a question I'm hoping some of you can help with.

Does your LO take a 3rd nap? Has anyone's LO dropped the 3rd nap already? If so, when did they drop it? How did you know it was time to drop it? How did you go about dropping it?

My LO is 5 months old and she hasn't been sleeping well at night anymore. She is also harder to get to sleep at night. For daytime naps, I put her down awake and she goes to sleep on her own. But at night, MH rocks and feeds her and she usually falls asleep during that process. I thought since she wasn't going to sleep as easily these days and staying asleep, maybe we should work on dropping her 3rd nap?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And HOPE does not dissappoint.
Romans 5:3-5

~Matt and Jen~
Married August 26, 2006
TTC since June 2008
Severe MFI
IVF #1 Feb. 2011 = BFN
IVF #2 (Long Lupron) May 2011 = BFP!!!
Our sweet little girl, born January 26, 2012

Time for #2!

IVF #1 (Long Lupron) July 2013 = BFP!!!

Beta #1 (8/1) 203! Beta #2 (8/8) 3,677! 1st u/s scheduled for 8/15!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Question about the 3rd nap...

• Options

DD put herself on 2-3-4 with a little bit of mommy nudging. I honestly can't remember a time before she had two naps.

What is your schedule like now? Her (approximate) sleep schedule is:

6:30- DD wakes

Nap #1: 8 or 8:30- 10 or 10:30 (sometimes 11)

Nap #2: 1:30ish- 3ish

Bedtime: 7 or 7:30ish

This typically follows the 2-3-4 pattern- Nap #1 starts 2 hours after waking up. Nap #2 starts ~3 hours after waking from Nap #1. Bedtime is ~4 hours after waking from Nap #2.

I would really try to stay away from having your LO fall asleep by bottle. I know it's hard and it's an easy thing to do, especially since they fall and stay asleep that way. I would try to have your LO fall asleep on their own like they do for naps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagegracefulruby33:

DD put herself on 2-3-4 with a little bit of mommy nudging. I honestly can't remember a time before she had two naps.

What is your schedule like now? Her (approximate) sleep schedule is:

6:30- DD wakes

Nap #1: 8 or 8:30- 10 or 10:30 (sometimes 11)

Nap #2: 1:30ish- 3ish

Bedtime: 7 or 7:30ish

This typically follows the 2-3-4 pattern- Nap #1 starts 2 hours after waking up. Nap #2 starts ~3 hours after waking from Nap #1. Bedtime is ~4 hours after waking from Nap #2.

I would really try to stay away from having your LO fall asleep by bottle. I know it's hard and it's an easy thing to do, especially since they fall and stay asleep that way. I would try to have your LO fall asleep on their own like they do for naps.

This helps a lot. Thank you for the advice, I'm going to try it today! That's almost what our schedule looks like now, except she stays awake for only 2hrs at a time so we fit a 3rd nap in before bed at 7-8pm. Thanks again!

We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And HOPE does not dissappoint.
    Romans 5:3-5

~Matt and Jen~
    Married August 26, 2006
    TTC since June 2008
    Severe MFI
    IVF #1 Feb. 2011 = BFN
    IVF #2 (Long Lupron) May 2011 = BFP!!!
    Our sweet little girl, born January 26, 2012

Time for #2!

IVF #1 (Long Lupron) July 2013 = BFP!!!

Beta #1 (8/1) 203! Beta #2 (8/8) 3,677! 1st u/s scheduled for 8/15!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would never force a baby to drop a nap. Usually that backfires. My DH is almost 8 months and he usually takes 3 naps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We dropped the 3rd nap about 3 weeks ago.  His last nap of the day was when I got home from work -- around 6 or 6:30, it only lasted 20-30 minutes.  He was going to bed around 8:30, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to get him to fall asleep.  He was falling asleep around 9:15 or so.  Since the last nap was so short, we decided to drop it and put him to bed at 8 instead.  He falls asleep SO easily now.  It can get rough some nights -- we have to keep him busy so he doesn't get crabby.  And he doesn't play indepently as well when he is tired, so he needs more from us.  But it's so much easier come bedtime.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS only takes the 3rd nap sometimes. Lately, it just been 2 long naps, as long as we're not out and about somewhere.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How long are the naps? My LO never took longer than an hour nap, usually it is a half hour and only takes two of those a day. She naturally on her own dropped a late afternoon nap.
  • Options
    Mine just dropped it naturally. I'm trying to get her to bring it back because a 2 nap schedule doesn't mesh as well with my toddler's schedule, and a 3 nap works great. Unfortunately she's pretty adamant about not napping in the late afternoon anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS also naturally found a better sleep/nap rhythm. Two long naps, each about 2-2.5 hours long and down for bed around 7:30 equals the best night sleep for us. He also get a bottle before every sleeping period. I try to not let him fall asleep while eating and I will take the bottle away when he starts his sleepy eating face. Works for us. (Our schedule also looks like the 2-3-4 method)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My guy still usually takes a short third nap when he gets home from daycare.  It's long enough for me to get dinner ready, so I'm okay with him not dropping it quite yet!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"