Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Am I Doing This All Wrong??

My son is 6 weeks old and we are having an increasingly difficult time getting him down at night. He has never really given me much more than a 4 hour stretch at night, but lately it is absolutely impossible to get him down. We do the bath-nurse-bed routine and it's just not working. 

During the day he pretty consistently eats, plays, naps BUT the only time he naps well is when I am either holding him or I am wearing him in his sling. I feel like he won't sleep unless he is held or worm, and obviously this won't work at night. 

I have tried just letting him cry and get over it on his own, but after 30 minutes decided that wasn't working either- I think he is still too young for that.

I can always get him to sleep, but he wakes up within 5 minutes of me putting him down-day or night. After attempting to out him down for 3 hours tonight, I am seeking your advice!! Thanks!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I Doing This All Wrong??

• Options

At 6 weeks old, he doesn't yet have the capability to self soothe, so letting him cry won't usually work. 

Have you tried the  5 s's? That really helped us: 

Swaddling: Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support your baby is used to experiencing within the womb.Side/stomach position: The infant is placed on their left side to assist in digestion, or on their stomach to provide reassuring support. ?But never use the stomach position for putting your baby to sleep,? cautions Karp. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is linked to stomach-down sleep positions. When a baby is in a stomach down position do not leave them even for a moment.Shushing sounds: These imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb.Swinging: Newborns are used to the swinging motions within their mother?s womb, so entering the gravity driven world of the outside is like a sailor adapting to land after nine months at sea. ?It?s disorienting and unnatural,? says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.Sucking: ?Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system,? notes Karp, ?and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain.?

BFP #1 - BFP #2 - Blog
    <3 and Luck to my BFPB StephK!!- Emma is here!!

• Options

I am interested in the responses - we are having the same problem!

Same age as well!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member

Letting him CIO at 6 weeks makes me sad for your LO. He cant associate himself apart from you nor can he self soothe. 

With that said, when you put him down, can you keep your hand on his stomach, chest, or head for 5-10 minutes til he falls into a deeper sleep? My LO will occasionally need that "feeling" of me for a bit after I lay him down. 

• Options
    I got my LO to start laying down by rolling a towel up and placing him propped on it so he is not completely flat. Also, hold a hand over his chest and try touching his forehead or cheek. We also use a musical seahorse right by his side that he loves.
  • Options
    Do you own a Sleep sack? The best gift I got was a halo sleep sack swaddle  (needs to be the swaddle type). My LO likes to be held during naps but at night as long as he is swaddled (in a swaddle he can't easily punch out of :)). He feels secure in the swaddle and goes right to sleep. Buy the swaddle sleep sack. Best thing ever.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options

I agree with the swaddle, but I've found that the swaddle like they do in the hospital helped my baby the best.  I have the sleep sack swaddles, and it's hit or miss whether they work - but the blanket swaddle in a flannel receiving blanket, works a charm every time.  I'm guessing because it's the first thing she felt after exiting me (well, almost the first thing).

If it's hot I just put her in a diaper or onesie.  We also have the muslin ones, but honestly, they don't work like the flannel does.

• Options
    kdjuddkdjudd member
    imageBonitaKaz:

At 6 weeks old, he doesn't yet have the capability to self soothe, so letting him cry won't usually work. 

Have you tried the  5 s's? That really helped us: 

Swaddling: Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support your baby is used to experiencing within the womb.Side/stomach position: The infant is placed on their left side to assist in digestion, or on their stomach to provide reassuring support. ?But never use the stomach position for putting your baby to sleep,? cautions Karp. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is linked to stomach-down sleep positions. When a baby is in a stomach down position do not leave them even for a moment.Shushing sounds: These imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb.Swinging: Newborns are used to the swinging motions within their mother?s womb, so entering the gravity driven world of the outside is like a sailor adapting to land after nine months at sea. ?It?s disorienting and unnatural,? says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.Sucking: ?Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system,? notes Karp, ?and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain.?

This. I got a miracle blanket from Amazon and it really made a huge difference. Sometimes my LO still wants to be held at night and that is fine, but for the most part we can get her to lay down in her RNP when she is swaddled and some white noise is going on in the background. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks girls! I appreciate your suggestions and will be trying them tonight!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"