Working Moms

Math Major Careers (not teaching)

I graduated with a BS in Math and Computer Science 5 years ago and have been working as a software engineer since then.  I would really prefer to change careers and do something that would use more of my math background.  I am not interested in teaching, mainly b/c there are tons of unemployed teachers in our area.  Just curious if anyone else on TB has a degree in math and what kind of career you have.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Math Major Careers (not teaching)

• Interesting question...

is this helpful?

https://www.maa.org/careers/profiles.html

• vigurlvigurl member

Finance/Accouting, Actuary, CPA

ETA my degree is not in math but these are options for you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • aglennaglenn member
    Underwriting is an option (banking or insurance).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Statistics...research...good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I have an undergrad in math and an ms in statistics.  I work in sales forecasting - trying to predict sales for my company, which then drives the financial planning as well as the supply chain.

BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.
  • You could also get into the investment world - quantitative analysis and models, monte carlo simulations, etc.

I have a BS in Math, and I thought about being an actuary for like 5 mins... I just knew it wouldn't be for me.  I actually work in Marketing, and there's a lot you can do with a Math background in Marketing.  Analytics, forecasting, etc.

I don't use my degree every day, all the time, but it helps me to determine if data in our material make sense, I can understand the analytics I'm seeing and interpret the data, etc.  It gives me a unique perspective that most of my colleagues don't have, and I think (hope) they appreciate that.

Good luck!

• shannmshannm member
    I am not a math person so this may be far out there....can you write code?  Our institution is constantly looking for people that can help with bioinformatic datasets.  No biology knowledge required based on who does it for us now.  Very hot area.
  • My husband and I both have BMath degrees (which for those in the know tells you what university we attended - >300 math graduates every year, man, my university crowd was fun), him with a major in CS, me with a major in Combinatorics and Optimization, with a minor in Pure Mathematics. I am back in school working on my PhD in computer science (sort of physics related, with a lot of bayesian stats) but before that, I worked doing "systems engineering", which included modeling some worst-case braking failures and communication latencies.I did some safety engineering work too, working out paths of failures and mean time to failure, and so on.

My husband works for a company that makes switching and routing software, his math-iness has helped him move into a role where he does more design and algorithms work, less coding. The timing stuff and failure modes does need a lot of analysis. Plus part of his job is blowing holes in other people's designs.

If you like stats, there's a lot of data mining related work. It involves some coding, but there's algorithm work and tweaking. (start with machine learning, a lot can be done with just singular value decomposition). Work involving computational linguistics or computer vision might be of interest too. Operations research or similar kinds of positions might suit you - I almost took a job related to industrial engineering, looking for optimizations in the supply and manufacturing chain. Sounded fun, was just in a far-flung suburb.

My current career aims are either to get a college/university teaching position, or moving back into a very analytic engineering role, probably in aviation or another safety-critical field (again, that's my background). I like failure analysis, and doing proofs of correctness on protocols.

(I can give more detail on what some of my friends are doing if you want - it's what comes from graduating from a school where a CS major requires more math classes than the average math major elsewhere.)

(Whew, that's a stream of consciousness! Can you tell I had a career crisis a few years back?)

• Math Degree here..... I wound up in Finance/Accounting.  I actually really enjoyed when I was in performance analytics.  Good Luck!
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • My DH has a teaching degree with a math minor and is getting his master's in curriculum instruction. He has taught for 12 years, but is now out of the classroom and he is a Math Teacher Leader, meaning he teaches hundreds of other math teachers in his district the best way to teach the curriculum.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My BS is in Math and I got a job as an operational analyst. Lots of logical reasoning, flowcharting and cost-benefit analysis. It's really rewarding. I work for a bank, but lots of companies need them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"