Food Allergy
Options

Second time around

My almost two year old has wheat, egg (severe), milk, and mild peanut allergy.  I have been avoiding peanuts my entire pregnancy this time around and toying with the idea of eliminating all dairy for my last month.  Our peditrician has a mixed response to this there is some conflicting research about what to do.  Any experience in this area?  If you had a child with allergies the first time around did you do anything differently the second time? Did it work? 

TIA

Re: Second time around

• Options
    DD was my first kid to react to my breast milk so I am not sure about the second time around.  All I know is that if I had another I planned on taking out ALL dairy 1 month prior to delivery and not re-introducing until LO is at least 1 month old...and then just trialing it.  No research behind that, but it is just what makes sense to me.  I don't wanna go down this road again if I don't have to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In my case, both pregnancies were the same as far as what I ate - I love peanut butter and cashews and ate them both during both pregnancies.  DD is allergic (peanuts and tree nuts both); DS has no allergies.  Oh, and we have no family history of food allergies.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think the key is having things in moderation. Eat everything in moderation.

my first pregnancy i ate peanut butter like it was going out of style. Right out of the jar. I ate eggs for breakfast every morning and was told to drink up my milk. My son has / had milk, soy, eggs, sesame, tree nuts, peanuts allergy.

my second pregnancy i avoided peanuts and ate almond butter on occasion. Had eggs from time to time and switched to almond / rice / oats milk and my second baby doesn't have any visible allergies (he's only 6 months old and doesn't have the same signs as my DS1 had at that age).

I truly believe it's all in moderation. Don't have PBJ every night, but i would also not completely avoid it.

• Options
    imagemagdusia:

my first pregnancy i ate peanut butter like it was going out of style. Right out of the jar. I ate eggs for breakfast every morning and was told to drink up my milk. My son has / had milk, soy, eggs, sesame, tree nuts, peanuts allergy.

my second pregnancy i avoided peanuts and ate almond butter on occasion. Had eggs from time to time and switched to almond / rice / oats milk and my second baby doesn't have any visible allergies (he's only 6 months old and doesn't have the same signs as my DS1 had at that age).

I truly believe it's all in moderation. Don't have PBJ every night, but i would also not completely avoid it.

that's very interesting b/c i had read on kellymom that one of the reasons for allergies can be a food that mom usually doesn't like but was eating for the benefit of her pregnancy. well i never liked milk at all but i was drinking so much milk & eating so much yogurt & ice cream during my pregnancy b/c i thought it was "good" for the baby. i was even reading my pregnancy journal & i wrote that i was eating tons of milk, greek yogurt, cheese & ice cream. 

are you bf'ing your 6 month old? has he been ok with everything in your diet? do you just limit milk or do you not drink it at all? 

• Options
    imagebrowneyedgoil:
    imagemagdusia:

that's very interesting b/c i had read on kellymom that one of the reasons for allergies can be a food that mom usually doesn't like but was eating for the benefit of her pregnancy. well i never liked milk at all but i was drinking so much milk & eating so much yogurt & ice cream during my pregnancy b/c i thought it was "good" for the baby. i was even reading my pregnancy journal & i wrote that i was eating tons of milk, greek yogurt, cheese & ice cream. 

are you bf'ing your 6 month old? has he been ok with everything in your diet? do you just limit milk or do you not drink it at all? 

I
    am BFing DS2 and he's only had mucus in his poop which i think is from dairy, but doesn't seem like an allergy, just intolerance but i still eat it. He's been fine with everything. I even tried a little bit of peanuts and he didn't react

I don't drink cows milk b/c i just don't like it any more. I drink almond milk at work with my cereal. But i do not avoid cheese at work. I do eat everything with moderation and that is the only difference with ds1 and ds2 while i'm BFing and during pregnancy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"