Multiples

When to stop traveling for work?

I travel quite a bit for my job, and was wondering at what week should I tell my management team I need to be taken off projects that are out of town?  I was thinking 28 weeks?

I know every pregnancy is different and I?ll definitely talk to my CNM but my first appointment isn?t until July 10th and I was hoping to hear what you ladies would say/felt most comfortable doing if you had to deal with this. 

TIA!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When to stop traveling for work?

• It depends... where do you go?

I would be leery of out of country travel during any point of a multiples pregnancy, but domestically maybe until 24 weeks if you go to major cities?

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm stopping at 20 weeks -- just to be overcautious. I've heard too many horror stories. :/

We actually have a wedding of a close friend that I was supposed to fly out for ~25 weeks, but I'll be staying home (DH will be going to the wedding, however -- if god-forbid, anything happens, my parents live nearby, luckily). 

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageOrangeSmoke:

It depends... where do you go?

I would be leery of out of country travel during any point of a multiples pregnancy, but domestically maybe until 24 weeks if you go to major cities?

I already told my director I couldn?t go on my international trip to Argentina/Chile when I would be 19 ? 21 weeks.

In general the projects I am assigned tend to have me going to rural/remote areas as I work for a large manufacturing company, so I usually am going to large pulp and paper mills.

• I know this has nothing to do with your question (and I don't travel for work) but I was curious about your seeing a CNM for a multiples pregnancy - I got transferred by my original CNM practice to a regular OB b/c of the twins and was so bummed.  Yours is willing to keep you? 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageShopperKristi:
    I know this has nothing to do with your question (and I don't travel for work) but I was curious about your seeing a CNM for a multiples pregnancy - I got transferred by my original CNM practice to a regular OB b/c of the twins and was so bummed.  Yours is willing to keep you? 

Not to say I am not excited to be having twins, but I was really bummed at first that I wouldn't be able to use the midwifery practice I had been researching.  Once I found out it was twins, I called and asked - they acted like I was crazy for thinking I wouldn't be able to work with them.

They are somewhat unique though? they work with a perinatologist that is also their 24/7 on-call OB for emergencies.  They also deliver at a hospital with a Level III NICU but it has a birthing wing with individual rooms and tubs for water births.  The hospital is only ~ 1.5 ? 2 miles away.

I just figured I?ll work with them as long as I am comfortable and if at any point I feel like I?m not getting the level of care I think myself or the babies need I?ll go back to my old OB.  So not too much stress.

• Wow!  I am SO jealous!  That sounds fabulous!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I stopped just before 20 weeks (I was traveling weekly). I was over cautious, but no way I would go beyond 24 weeks, I've heard too many stories of people being totally fine and then having their babies born without warning. No way I wanted to risk being out of town and having babies in a NICU somewhere that wasn't home.
  • I would say 20 weeks- I was swelling at 28 weeks.
  • I agree with PPs that said 20 weeks. I started getting pretty uncomfortable around 23 - 24 weeks.  I had to cancel a trip to an out of state wedding at 25 weeks because I was in so much pain. (Back, belly, hips, etc.)

If you do choose to continue to travel through 28 weeks, I would make sure each place you're going has a really good NICU nearby just in case.   

Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • At my last apptmt they told me not to travel after 28 weeks.
  • j&j508j&j508 member
    My choice was ASAP.  I don't have to go often for work, but I didn't want to do much traveling when I got close to viability.  my last trip was at 8 weeks, and the next was scheduled for when I was 20 or so, but my Dr and I didn't want to risk it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
    TTC #1 Since July 2009 slightly low progesterone, endo, kinked right tube, Clomid, Lap and Hysteroscopy, and 13 months TTC = BFP! (7/23/10) Cautiously Expecting... 8/19/10 - it's TWINS!... 11/8/10 - Boy/Girl twins! Born 37w4d
  • I stopped going anywhere further than 45 minutes from my hospital after 25 weeks, but that was mostly because I had started going into PTL, and didn't want to be too far away from my doctors. If not for that, I would probably have called it quits closer to 28 or 30 weeks, when it started to get super uncomfortable to be seated for long periods of time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"