Stay at Home Moms

Seeing how many of you workout...

I am out of shape and have quite a bit of weight to lose. I never really had to make time to workout before because of my "job". My dad and uncle used to own trucks and haul silage and I climbed up and down their trailers to tarp sometimes 60 times a day. When they quit I walked 3 miles and ran 1 mile a day. Then I started to going to school and was in class until 8 every night all week long and I started eating out more or not eating until I got home at 9 or 10 depending how late we would be in class and I still had an hour drive home.

I got pregnant with DD and only gained 19 pounds. The first 2 weeks home after having her I lost 30 pounds. So as of now I am still 10 pounds under my pre-preg weight but still have a lot to go. I am not TOO terribly out of shape because I still lift and move 50 lb feed sacks, milk sacks, dog food, bales of hay, and I fork hay every once in awhile. I have P90x but it just depresses me because I can only do about half of a days workout so then I just feel like a failure.

Any suggestions on what would be a good starter for me since I am out of shape? This week I have been helping my parents renovate their new house and move and it's sad how wore out I am at night after dealing with this 105-110 degree weather, DD and then scraping wallborder off the wall and texturing. It's embarrassing.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

Re: Seeing how many of you workout...

• I wouldn't let it get you down that you can only do half of the p90x workout.  Use it as inspiration to do try and do a little more next time and look forward to seeing the transformation/improvement.  If it was easy it would take a lot longer to see results, know what I mean. 

I am not sure what level your at, but I am guessing we are a lot alike.  I grew up on a farm and I am much better at lifting weights (because of all the farm work) than I am at cardio.  I take boot camp at the gym 3x a week.  It is difficult but I love that it is a circuit routine - it forces me to run (which I know I need to work on) and it has weight training.  Other suggestions - walking, biking, swimming, jogging....  If you have a gym nearby - zumba (if that is your thing), circuit training classes....  Also, I would probably workout in the morning if possible since it sounds like you are pretty drained by the afternoon.  Plus, it is cooler in the morning if you are going to exercise outside. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • id012id012 member

Since having my son, I have gotten out of shape and it because i'm not working.

At home I can snack all day, I can go out to lunch and etc etc. When I was working (like 10 hours a day on my feet constantly going going going) i didn;t worry about working out tooo much because work was workout!

I have recently started the 17 day diet and I can already tell im losing weight. Its pretty much is a cut out cards, no fruit after 2pm, 8 8oz glasses of water a day, some green T and probiotics (yogurt), I feel pretty good and i feel like i have the energy to work out! 

I do 30 day shred by jillian michaels. Its only like 20-30 min work out which is less daunting. We have p90x and i just cant do it. I can workout for an hour or more at the gym fine but not in my house. We also have insanity which is litterly insane! But you can google that.

Before i started this diet I couldnt make it through 30 day shed, but now im feeling pretty damn good! 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the suggestion guys! I would love to go even for a walk in the mornings with DD but it's kind of hard. We don't have anywhere around our house to walk that isn't gonna be WAY too rough of a terrain for DD. It's nearing 90 around 8 in the morning here and well over a hundred around 12. If I could go to a gym or class I know I would be more determined but DH and I are an hour away from the nearest Zumba, walk park, etc...and we try to only go to town once a week to save some money on gas.

And maybe I do just need to look at it like I can at least do half of P90x and it is intense but it will eventually work! Maybe I just need to change my state of mind. I thought about buying the Zumba game or DVD and seeing if maybe a friend or someone would come over at least 3 nights a week or me go to their house to do it. We all just live 30 miles apart so it sucks driving! I haven't heard anything about the Zumba or Biggest Loser for Wii or any of the DVD's. Does anyone use them/like them?

• imagesdo_082989:

heard anything about the Zumba or Biggest Loser for Wii or any of the DVD's. Does anyone use them/like them?

I have the Zumba 2 Wii game and it's pretty fun.  I'm a Zumba instructor and I think the routines are interesting.  It's definitely not the same kind of workout as a real class though.  Personally, when I'm stuck at home, I like to do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  I will do P90X once in a while when I'm feeling ambitious but the 30DS is awesome and it feels doable so I'm more likely to do it.  Good luck!

•  I look up workouts on youtube so I don't get bored. I can only do a few days of the same thing (i.e. 30DS) before I start making excuses. I love the workout, don't get me wrong, I just need variety. 

But youtube has tons and tons of full workouts or samples.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • imageFishstyx:
    imagesdo_082989:

heard anything about the Zumba or Biggest Loser for Wii or any of the DVD's. Does anyone use them/like them?

I have the Zumba 2 Wii game and it's pretty fun.  I'm a Zumba instructor and I think the routines are interesting.  It's definitely not the same kind of workout as a real class though.  Personally, when I'm stuck at home, I like to do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  I will do P90X once in a while when I'm feeling ambitious but the 30DS is awesome and it feels doable so I'm more likely to do it.  Good luck!

Thanks I may try all of this just so I won't get bored!

!

• imageDeblondie1:

I look up workouts on youtube so I don't get bored. I can only do a few days of the same thing (i.e. 30DS) before I start making excuses. I love the workout, don't get me wrong, I just need variety. 

But youtube has tons and tons of full workouts or samples.  

That is an awesome idea! I will definately check YouTube out. I get easily bored unless it's something I REALLY love.

• imageid012:

Since having my son, I have gotten out of shape and it because i'm not working.

At home I can snack all day, I can go out to lunch and etc etc. When I was working (like 10 hours a day on my feet constantly going going going) i didn;t worry about working out tooo much because work was workout!

I have recently started the 17 day diet and I can already tell im losing weight. Its pretty much is a cut out cards, no fruit after 2pm, 8 8oz glasses of water a day, some green T and probiotics (yogurt), I feel pretty good and i feel like i have the energy to work out! 

I do 30 day shred by jillian michaels. Its only like 20-30 min work out which is less daunting. We have p90x and i just cant do it. I can workout for an hour or more at the gym fine but not in my house. We also have insanity which is litterly insane! But you can google that.

Before i started this diet I couldnt make it through 30 day shed, but now im feeling pretty damn good! 

See I would love to do something like this! Give my body a jump start but I am just not sure what all I need to do.

• imageCnAmom:
    imagesdo_082989:
    imageFishstyx:
    imagesdo_082989:

Thanks I may try all of this just so I won't get bored!

!

I really want to get zumba for the wii and I always forget to pick it up. I tried 30ds and I liked it until I had to give it up. Stupid me thought that would be a good idea for someone with a bum knee...

30DS killed my knee after a bit too. So I started doing her yoga workout... Holy bananas does it feel horrible in a good way. And doesn't hurt my knee.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • imageDeblondie1:

30DS killed my knee after a bit too. So I started doing her yoga workout... Holy bananas does it feel horrible in a good way. And doesn't hurt my knee.  

Ooh thanks for the tip!  I love a good, hard yoga workout.  P90X yoga is my fave but it's hard to find 90 minutes in a day...

• I do a bootcamp class about 4x/wk. It's in a large gymnasium so I have DD in her stroller and push her around with me or put her in a small fenced in play area. Now that she can walk she is getting fussy but they are starting a daycare soon so that will help. Before I did this class though I did 30 Day Shred and it was great only 20min long so I could do it while DD napped. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageEmilyVReese80:

It's sounds like you already get a lot of exercise. Have you taken a look at what you're taking in every day? Your "magic formula" may lie in tweaking what you eat more than what you're burning.

To answer you question, I walk/run on my treadmill 3 times a week doing the couch 2 5k, although I'm currently stuck on week 5. The 8 minute run is kicking my butt! 

On other days I try to stay active, but I don't actively work out. I also pay close attention to the amount and type of calories I'm taking in every day. 

Like you, I have a ways to go, but since I started changing my diet activity level I feel WAY better both physically and emotionally and I've consistently lost 1-2 lbs each week. Good luck!!

I think this has a lot to do with my problem. I am not a sweet eater and neither is DH, we will buy a small tub of ice cream or cookies like once a year, so that isn't a weakness for me at all. My problem is I LOVE salty, savory foods and with DD on the go it's SO easy for me to grab chips and guac and as I am walking by the bowl dip a chip in.

What kinds of things are eating and/or not eating? I do sometimes go on a Dr. Pepper binge and drink a lot but for the most part I only drink maybe 1-2 a week. I drink water or tea at home. Giving up carbs for the rest of my life is not something I was really wanting to do but I tried it for 2 months and I didn't feel much different so I just cut back on them and feel the same as when I did away with them.

• imageEmilyVReese80:

I eat a lot of different things, so it's hard to list them here :) I try to eat whole foods or prepared foods without a lot of artificial ingredients. There's not really anything that's relatively healthy that I avoid, and i still eat the occasional sweet, I just limit the amount of calories I consume on any given day. I try to stay under 1500 cals per day. I also attempt to space that out pretty evenly throughout the day by staying around 300 cals per meal and then having several snacks as well.

I have reduced the amount of animal products I eat too, but haven't cut them out altogether. I don't eat red meat very often, but eat poultry and fish several times a week. I would say my diet is about 60% vegetarian on average.

As far as quick snacks go, I like fiber one bars, that's my one prepared food that I eat on a reg basis :). I love berries, grapes, apples, carrots, peanut butter, pop corn, and even dark chocolate for snacks. Hummus or tzaziki on cucumber is also really yummy!

Thanks! I always have veggies in the house because DH and I both eat them and I cook a TON of veggies. I don't eat meals though. I snack all day and then cook supper at night. It's hard for me to do away with red meat...since we're ranchers and raise our own beef every year. Eating chicken is like a sin to my DH...I do eat chicken and fish but not much because we have a beef. I never think of PB or pop corn for snacks those are really good ideas that stick with you! Are you using anything to help keep track of calories? Like an app, writing it down, or just keep track in your head?

• Ok thanks a lot everyone!

• I am a firm believer that diet is 80% of weight loss. I swear by south beach "diet"/way of life eating. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"