Baby Showers

Weird to invite my mom to 2nd shower?

My mom has offered to throw me a shower, and two of my best friends also recently offered to throw me a shower (yay!). I am super grateful to all of them. My question is, would be it strange to have my friends invite my mom to the shower that they're throwing? I'm having them invite my sister, so she'll be invited to both showers...I think my mom would be really excited to go, since she likes all my friends. Is it weird if it's a bunch of late 20s women, and then my mom? Am I overthinking this?

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
BFP 9/27/14
MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14

Re: Weird to invite my mom to 2nd shower?

• Wouldn't your mom be offended if she wasn't invited? You should absolutely invite your mom.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay that's what I figured! Yes, she would most likely be offended...but I wasn't sure if it would be weird. But thanks for the wake up call (I guess I needed reassurance from another person, lol). 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely invite her. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Why not combine the showers, and have one big one? 
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    I think your mom & sis are ok to invite to the 2nd shower as they are immediate fam but leave it at that. I was pissed when I offered to throw a friend a 2nd shower and she invited the same guests from her family shower. It added about 15 ppl and cost me a fortune.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your mom is a given regardless of who is throwing it.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Typically your mom and your H's mom would be invited to both showers.  They're pretty much the exception to the rule about not inviting anyone to more than one shower.  If you're worried your mom will feel weird, just let her know that you're inviting her but you understand if she doesn't want to come since she already threw one for you.  She can decide for herself if she wants to come or not.

I had a separate "friends" shower and my MIL still wanted to come and did.  My mom would have but she already had plans to be out of state that particular weekend.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedanieliza1127:

Typically your mom and your H's mom would be invited to both showers.  They're pretty much the exception to the rule about not inviting anyone to more than one shower.  If you're worried your mom will feel weird, just let her know that you're inviting her but you understand if she doesn't want to come since she already threw one for you.  She can decide for herself if she wants to come or not.

I had a separate "friends" shower and my MIL still wanted to come and did.  My mom would have but she already had plans to be out of state that particular weekend.

Hmm I was not planning on inviting my MIL actually...she will be invited to the shower that my mom is throwing. Is this really rude if I don't invite her?  

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
  • imageLoCarb:
    I think your mom & sis are ok to invite to the 2nd shower as they are immediate fam but leave it at that. I was pissed when I offered to throw a friend a 2nd shower and she invited the same guests from her family shower. It added about 15 ppl and cost me a fortune.

Oh yes, definitely would not add on all the other relatives who will be invited to my other shower!!

That's the reason I didn't want to combine--I would rather have two smaller showers with fewer people so it's less overwhelming, rather than one big one with a ton of people. That's how my bridal shower was and I found it stressful.  

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
  • Well I don't know!  I'm really close with my MIL so when I mentioned my "friends" shower, she pretty much let me know that she hoped she was invited, so we invited her. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecwm11985:
    Wouldn't your mom be offended if she wasn't invited? You should absolutely invite your mom.

Absolutely this.  If your mom is anything like my mom, she would want to attend 35 showers if that's what I was having :)

• imagehilsy85:
    imagedanieliza1127:

Typically your mom and your H's mom would be invited to both showers.  They're pretty much the exception to the rule about not inviting anyone to more than one shower.  If you're worried your mom will feel weird, just let her know that you're inviting her but you understand if she doesn't want to come since she already threw one for you.  She can decide for herself if she wants to come or not.

Hmm I was not planning on inviting my MIL actually...she will be invited to the shower that my mom is throwing. Is this really rude if I don't invite her?  

She really might be offended if you don't invite her. I think it is pretty generally accepted that mom and MIL are usually invited to both showers if there are 2, and so she might take it as a snub if you don't invite her. Even if she won't necessarily fit the crowd, you might want to consider inviting her just to keep the peace!

In my case, my MIL hosted a shower for all of her friends plus me and my mom and grandma, and now my BFF is hosting a shower for all my girlfriends, plus my sister, mom and MIL. Whereas all my girlfriends know and love my mom, my MIL won't necessarily "fit the crowd" of the second shower, but I wanted her to know she was welcome anyways.

• imagehilsy85:
    imagedanieliza1127:

If you get along with MIL, then yes, I would think it would be a little rude to not invite her.  But it all depends on how close you are to her, and how hurt her feelings would be... 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • OP, you are supposed to invite your mother (and your MIL, unless you two basically hate each other). I would have my MIL at my first shower, but my mom asked my aunt if she could invite her and my aunt said no (this aunt is not helping with the shower at all, but it's a reallllly long story).
  • I'm inviting my Mom to my 2nd shower that my girlfriend us having for me with me for mainly just my friends. She us excited to come see what my friends do for me. I've also been to numerous friends showers and their moms have been there...not weird at all!
    2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • Usually the only people invited to both showers are your Mom and your MIL.  Some people invite sisters...but usually they are only invited to one shower.
  • Yes - invite your mom!  Moms are great to have at showers because they are either really nice or really quirky but either way they are always excited and bring life to the party!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"