Working Moms
Options

Nanny Benefits

What types of formal benefits or perks do you offer your nanny?  Our current nanny, who was just short-term, is moving on, so we're starting the process of finding someone new.  She's insured through her husband and we don't offer any formal benefits, but we allow her to eat whatever she wants at our house and do her laundry, perks like that.  Anyway, we hope to attract someone who will stay for the long haul and I'm not sure what nannies expect for benefits.
Son #1 - September '09
Son #2 - October '11
Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation

Re: Nanny Benefits

• Options

We wanted someone for the long haul too, so I tried to be generous in terms of time off, pay, etc. Here's what we do:

• We pay her hourly, but if we come home early, I still pay her until whatever time she was scheduled. I also pay her in full if I cancel on her with less than a week's notice.
    • We pay her for several major holidays when DH and I are off.
    • We pay her for two weeks of vacation, provided it's taken when DH and I are on vacation. if she takes additional weeks outside of that, she isn't compensated.
    • We pay her for 2 sick/personal days per year.
    • I buy her gas cards here and there since she drives about a half hour to our house and I know her car isn't that great on gas.
    • I give her additional pay (sort of like a bonus) on the weeks that she comes early/stays late to help DH when I am OOT traveling for work.

We love love love our nanny, and I'm very open with her and communicative in terms of asking what she wants/needs to be happy with our arrangement. I feel that she works incredibly hard for us, DS loves her, she teaches him and spends a lot of really quality time with him, so I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to keep her happy and with us. HTH. Godo luck!

• Options
    Thanks for the responses!  We do pay her for the holidays we have off and have paid her for the few sick days she's taken, so it's good to know that's what others are doing.  I don't know if it's typical to offer health insurance or other formal benefits (retirement?), how to set those up and how much it'll all cost.
    Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"