November 2011 Moms

OMG! My dog just killed a baby bunny and ruined their nest!

So he has never killed anything before and is the most gentle giant in the world. Idk what came over him, but I feel like complete ***.  He's a dog...why am I so mad at him for acting like an animal!? 

I went outside with DD to let him in off his lead.  Two little feet were dangling out of his mouth.  Turns out, there is one little puncture wound towards the bottom of it's abdomen and it was breathing for a short bit before it just passed. 

I flipped OUT on Cooper (dog) and he ran under the deck...then I hear crying!  2 more baby bunnies go running to the edge of the house away from him.  Mama rabbit was just running around the yard frantic and watching us. 

I read to restore the nest, which I did and the mom will return at night to call them.  I'll see if they are there in the morning and if they are, and are cold, mom abandonded them.  But, if they are and are warm, then they are find.  If they are not there, and they are still where they are tonight, I may relocate the nest to them since by tomorrow they and I would have nothing to lose if the mother doesn't return to the violated nest tonight. 

FML!  I have such bad feelings towards my dog for this.  I feel like such crap about it.  And there's this dead bunny in my lawn.  UGH!  I went out and gave them veggies leaves and water. lol.  Omg, I'm 8yo again.  This waiting and watching is going to kill me.  I need to refrain from getting close to them any more so that the mom can hopefully have a safe chance at coming back tonight. 

Has anyone else's dog killed anything?  How did you NOT kill your dog after this?  Ugh!  He's in his cage right now but Idk if I am overeacting.  He's a dog fgs.  Craaaaaaap. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: OMG! My dog just killed a baby bunny and ruined their nest!

• You probably are overreacting, but I have to say that I'm in tune with your emotions over this. It sounds like you're doing all the right things to give those baby bunnies and their momma a fighting chance. If their mom doesn't come back, you could look up a wild life rehabilitator in your area who will take the babies. Any exiotic vets in your area would most likely have a list of those persons. GL!
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    One year for Valentines my DH bought me a show rabbit. We were still in high school at the time. My golden retriever got it out of its cage and chased it all over the yard attacking it. It ended up dying. I was crushed. :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for writing in ladies.  It's so stupid.  I know that it's all about circle-of-life but I can't help but feel terrible for these little ones and wanna see a safe and happy outcome. 

The bunnies are still hiding on the side.  I was thinking of using some of the nest to build one by them.  I read that you can relocate the nest, but this would be farther, but they haven't moved since the mother left, and I'm sure she saw them run there.  UGH!  Stupid, furry, cute little things.  I hate it.

• You're upset at your dog for acting like an animal because so many of us personify our pets as humans, and when their animal instinct kicks in, we are shocked they act like that.

My dog tried to attack a nest of baby quail that were behind our water heater. I heard very aggressive barking that went on for at least 20 minutes. I go outside and I see her chasing a baby quail. I grabbed her and brought her inside, closed the dog door and went outside to see if she got any. She didn't thankfully, but her animal instinct was in full force.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• I'm sorry about the fluffy baby bunnies. My parents dog recently destroyed a nest in their back yard but their dog managed to kill every single one. Bunny Massacre! I'm not a really big animal lover (dog wise) but it still sucks to see cute, helpless baby bunnies having to fight to live Sad Sorry you're having to deal with such a yucky issue of pet ownership.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"