October 2011 Moms
Options

Making bottles

This weekend I'm going to do formula bottles during the daytime.  Do you usually make your day's worth ahead of time and then heat them up or do you just make them as needed?  Sorry, if this is a dumb question.  Not BFing will be an adjustment!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Making bottles

• Options
    If you are mixing powder formula, the easiest thing to do it to mix it in water that is at temp for you baby. It takes a lot longer to warm up a bottle cold from the fridge than it does to get the tap water hot. 
  • Options
    We make our day's worth with the dr brown's formula pitcher. We use playtex drop ins bottles, so warming up takes all of two minutes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We keep the Britta filter on the counter full of water and make the bottles as we need them with room temp water from that. We don't warm it up. We pour the filtered water into the bottles, add the powdered formula and serve. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagepreggersin2011:
    If you are mixing powder formula, the easiest thing to do it to mix it in water that is at temp for you baby. It takes a lot longer to warm up a bottle cold from the fridge than it does to get the tap water hot. 

Does this mean you're making the bottles hot tap water? I thought this was a big no no? Maybe I'm misinformed? 

• Options
    imageMs.Jade:

imagepreggersin2011:

Does this mean you're making the bottles hot tap water? I thought this was a big no no? Maybe I'm misinformed? 

I'm interested in everyone's take on this. DH insists that warm tap water is fine, but I prefer to use the filtered water from the fridge door and warm it in our bottle warmer.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We boil water and keep the water in jars, and make bottles as needed. She takes them at room temperature.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

There is some environmental concern over contaminants like lead in warm/hot tap water.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/health/29real.html 

My sister watches E during the days I go into the office and she is ANAL. She called Similac and kept their representative on the phone until she had all of her questions answered. She learned that you should use filtered or bottled water (for some babies with immune problems boiling is necessary), pour in the water, shake thoroughly, feed to baby, and discard anything she doesn't eat in an hour. This is how we do it or else E's auntie will kick our butts. LOL

• Options

I was under the impression that tap water is only really a concern for newborns.  That said, I use water from the Britta filter.

I microwave (gasp!) the water in the bottle, shake it up to even out the temperature, then add the formula.

• Options
    imageMs.Jade:

There is some environmental concern over contaminants like lead in warm/hot tap water.

My sister watches E during the days I go into the office and she is ANAL. She called Similac and kept their representative on the phone until she had all of her questions answered. She learned that you should use filtered or bottled water (for some babies with immune problems boiling is necessary), pour in the water, shake thoroughly, feed to baby, and discard anything she doesn't eat in an hour. This is how we do it or else E's auntie will kick our butts. LOL

I have heard a lot of mixed things about floruide and magnesium levels in bottled water. . You can't use just any bottled water and nursery water is not recommended for formula. We have good tap water quality and it meets the standards for use in formula.
  • Options

hmmm - this is a delicate subject as everyone does hings differently and swears their is the best, ritght and only way Big Smile

Ive been mixed feeing since day one so have refined my technique. This is what we do:-

I take water from the britta filter, boil it, let it cool a few moments and  add it to the formula.

I make up a full 24hrs worth of bottles and put them straight in the chiller section of the fridge.

When I need a bottle I take one out and - shock horror!!!, warm it up in the microwave.

I give it a damn good shake, test the temp on my wrist and then give it to the bubba.

works for us.

• Options
    imageoverture:

I was under the impression that tap water is only really a concern for newborns.  That said, I use water from the Britta filter.

I microwave (gasp!) the water in the bottle, shake it up to even out the temperature, then add the formula.

We do this except we use an under-the-counter filter from a hospital FIL works at, instead of a Brita. (It was a gift or we would be using an Instapure filter)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecantalopes24:
    imageMs.Jade:

I have heard a lot of mixed things about floruide and magnesium levels in bottled water. . You can't use just any bottled water and nursery water is not recommended for formula. We have good tap water quality and it meets the standards for use in formula.

I'm an environmentalist so I NEVER use bottled water for anything. This is just what the Similac representative told my sister when she called. 

• Options
    image101Mims:

hmmm - this is a delicate subject as everyone does hings differently and swears their is the best, ritght and only way Big Smile

Ive been mixed feeing since day one so have refined my technique. This is what we do:-

I take water from the britta filter, boil it, let it cool a few moments and  add it to the formula.

I make up a full 24hrs worth of bottles and put them straight in the chiller section of the fridge.

When I need a bottle I take one out and - shock horror!!!, warm it up in the microwave.

I give it a damn good shake, test the temp on my wrist and then give it to the bubba.

works for us.

This sounds sensible. Do you have glass bottles or are you putting plastic in the microwave?  

• Options
    image101Mims:

works for us.

This sounds sensible. Do you have glass bottles or are you putting plastic in the microwave?  

• Options
    imageMs.Jade:
    imagecantalopes24:
    imageMs.Jade:

I'm an environmentalist so I NEVER use bottled water for anything. This is just what the Similac representative told my sister when she called. 

You just said you did?

• Options
    imagecantalopes24:
    imageMs.Jade:
    imagecantalopes24:
    imageMs.Jade:

You just said you did?

I think you misunderstood my post. We use the Britta filter (see above). The Similac representative told my sister to use filtered or bottled water. We do filtered. 

• Options
    imageMs.Jade:
    image101Mims:

works for us.

We use BPA free plastic bottles

• Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses!  When I've made bottles before I just heated up tap water in a glass measuring cup.  I thought tap water was just as good as bottled water?  Should I get a Brita?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks Crystal for the good water info!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagecrystalbaby:

imageamyc216:
    Thanks for everyone's responses!  When I've made bottles before I just heated up tap water in a glass measuring cup.  I thought tap water was just as good as bottled water?  Should I get a Brita?

It depends on the bottled water. Tap water can be better than bottled water sometimes. And most bottled water is in containers that aren't BPA-free, so you have to take that into consideration. If you're going to get a filter, I would recommend a Pur brand filter over Brita, as they take out more contaminants. If I remember correctly, Brita only removes chlorine and some heavy metals. There is a Pur brand filter that removes some pesticides and disinfectant byproducts.

We use bottled water because our tap water comes from an aboveground source, which have more organic matter in it than groundwater, which leads to higher disinfectant byproducts. In the summer time, our water is not in compliance for disinfectant byproducts and there is a high amount of fluoride added. I guess what this long, drawn out response is saying is to pick the poison that you're comfortable with. I'm more comfortable with buying bottled water that may have some BPA leached into it rather than using tap water that I know has over the EPA limit of disinfectant byproducts (which are also a carcinogen). 

This. We have really high water quality so I feel comfortable just using a Britta, but this is correct. You need to know what's in your own tap water and how it stacks up on the quality side. 

• Options

We use tap water, at room temp.

I fill up her bottle from the sink, scoop in the formula and voila!  No heating (awesome for when we are out and about), no flitering etc.

The only thing my pedi said was that if you don't have a good tap water source in your city, then it's best to filter/boil it. Even that I read only goes for itty bitty's, not really kids our ages. Does this mean when they start drinking more water, you guys will still only give them filtered?

Congrats Starbuck :y & HHB on their sweet baby boys!
    Lots of love & luck to Mdluv & Zook
    IUI#4 = BFP!!
    When the world says give up... hope whispers try it one more time

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagePapps:

I fill up her bottle from the sink, scoop in the formula and voila!  No heating (awesome for when we are out and about), no flitering etc.

The only thing my pedi said was that if you don't have a good tap water source in your city, then it's best to filter/boil it. Even that I read only goes for itty bitty's, not really kids our ages. Does this mean when they start drinking more water, you guys will still only give them filtered?

I boil the water for bottles as i dont give them to bubba straight away - I do 24hrs worth in a batch.

If i made up bottles as and when they were needed Id prolly be ok now just using some boiled for the formula, and then top up with filter water .Our water is really poor quality so  thats why I dont just give tap.

• Options
    I went from BF to FF within the past 2 months. What works for us is to mix bottles ahead of time and put a few in the fridge. He got pretty used to the room temperature or cold bottles pretty quickly. Overnight since he still eats I put a bottle on ice in his room until he wakes up to eat it. I honestly found FF to be much easier than BF despite everyone suggesting otherwise.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecrystalbaby:
    imagePapps:

Yes, but that is only because that is what we drink. I don't worry about it when we're out and about though. I'll drink tap water at restaurants. 

Yep. We only drink out of the Britta at home and we have water filters at work too so I fill up my bottle there. I drink tap water at restaurants too, but I like the taste of water from my Britta.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"