Trouble TTC
Options

Clomid: alternating on/off cycles?

So my mother, who is always the expert (ugh) talked to her friend who "went to the best fertility doctor in the US," and the friend said that this doctor requires people to take a month off between clomid cycles to minimize negative side effects (like thinned uterine lining). Now of course I am getting the pressure to "take a cycle off" from my overly involved mother.

My RE has never mentioned this, although she is quite aggressive and wants to jump to IUI after two non-successful cycles of Clomid even though I've been responding well to it.

I am going to ask my RE at my monitoring appt tomorrow, but I'm trying to do some research and find out if this is common practice, recommended, or just another person claiming to have all the answers.  It is unbelievable how many opinions there are out there on so many aspects of fertility treatment, even from people who know nothing about it! 

Me: 35, DH: 34, Started TTC #1 since November '11
Several Clomid/Femara rounds, then fresh IVF September '12
Fresh IVF #1: chemical pregnancy, FET #1: ectopic, methotrexate
FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image   image

Re: Clomid: alternating on/off cycles?

• Options
    I've been told that each cycle is it's own cycle so it shouldn't matter what you do/don't do on back to back months. I could be wrong?

**SIGGY WARNING**

TTC since Nov 2010 | Me: 29, DH: 31 
    DX - Severe DOR, Stage II Endo
    6 rounds medicated TI, 3 failed IUIs, 2 failed IVFs
    After nearly 4 years of trying, our 1st BFP on IVF #3 (5R, 3M, 3F, 3 day 5 blasts frozen) 
    FET - Beta #1 - 116, Beta #2 - 266!! 1st U/S on 10/6 - HB 121 and measuring perfectly! EDD 5/30/15

Everyone Welcome
    Baseball, Beagles, Beer and Babies Blog

imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I've never heard of it being standard practice. Breaks usually seem to be for emotional or cyst related reasons. I asked if there was any need to let things rest before IVF, and my RE said each cycle is its own, and the body is doing things constantly anyway.

For the record, I don't think your RE sounds overly aggressive to be adding IUI. You only get so many clomid cycles, might as well make the best of them. Mine started me with clomid and IUI. 

If you have negative s/e from clomid, the usual thing to do is switch to femara.  

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKiller Tomato:

I've never heard of it being standard practice. Breaks usually seem to be for emotional or cyst related reasons. I asked if there was any need to let things rest before IVF, and my RE said each cycle is its own, and the body is doing things constantly anyway.

For the record, I don't think your RE sounds overly aggressive to be adding IUI. You only get so many clomid cycles, might as well make the best of them. Mine started me with clomid and IUI. 

If you have negative s/e from clomid, the usual thing to do is switch to femara.  

All of this. My mom is overly involved too and had a doctor she works with go through IUI and eventually IVF with the same clinic, different RE (there are two).  So EVERYTHING my mom ran by her and her protocol was COMPLETELY different which is normal since she is a completely different person than I am. After awhile and me telling my mom to erase whatever x doctor had told her from her mind and just listen to me and what my protocol is. Since then she has been MUCH better....except for the fact she was there for my IUI and now calls twice a day to see if I "feel" any different....no mom way too early! lol

And I agree with the IUI...I had two cycles with clomid and no IUI because of timing and Oing early. I am so mad that I had two wasted clomid cycles without IUI.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for the responses. We just got in a huge argument because she told me I "need" to switch RE's because mine "obviously" doesn't know what she's doing. UGH.

With a normal HSG, great sperm count, and perfect blood work, I just don't feel ready to do IUI yet. If finances weren't an issue, I would be a lot less hesitant, but we are out of pocket and it will be around $1000.  I think we will do one more just clomid and TI, and then do IUI after that.  So much to think about - my head feels like it is always spinning.

I wish I could just get my mother to back off - no matter what I tell her, I get the same responses. I am just going to stop telling her anything about my dr appointments and my plan. She wants to pay for IUI, but I feel like then she will be "entitled" to know everything!  

Me: 35, DH: 34, Started TTC #1 since November '11
    Several Clomid/Femara rounds, then fresh IVF September '12
    Fresh IVF #1: chemical pregnancy, FET #1: ectopic, methotrexate
    FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image   image
  • Options
    imagebluek210:

Thanks for the responses. We just got in a huge argument because she told me I "need" to switch RE's because mine "obviously" doesn't know what she's doing. UGH.

With a normal HSG, great sperm count, and perfect blood work, I just don't feel ready to do IUI yet. If finances weren't an issue, I would be a lot less hesitant, but we are out of pocket and it will be around $1000.  I think we will do one more just clomid and TI, and then do IUI after that.  So much to think about - my head feels like it is always spinning.

I wish I could just get my mother to back off - no matter what I tell her, I get the same responses. I am just going to stop telling her anything about my dr appointments and my plan. She wants to pay for IUI, but I feel like then she will be "entitled" to know everything!  

Trust your instincts.  I afraid you are probably right.

TTC #1 since March 2011 dx: annovulation/unexplained Jan 2011: Hysterosonogram clear Nov 2011: HSG Clear, SA normal 3 failed rounds Clomid 2 failed rounds Femara BFP: 7-3-12 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"