May 2012 Moms

First day of cloth diapering!

I've already had one mini melt down because, in the moment, I forgot what to do with poopy diapers.  All is better now!! Very exciting stuff for me...this is how you can tell I have a newborn.  Cloth diaper is exciting... Haha!

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                     BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
      BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                               BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

Re: First day of cloth diapering!

• Haha! We are trying to transition our little guy now. I tend to keep him in the disposables at night just because it is easier for us for now. Sometimes if it's too hot too....he seems so sweaty in the CDs. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I am about to start CD as well and am a little nervous! We have been using disposables because she is so small and hasn't fit into any of the refolds/covers until now. I have to admit that the disposables sure are easy... but she pees every hour and they are pricey! Which CD types/brands are you guys using?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a few Drybees, bumgenius, and actually my mom made a few from a pattern found at Joann Fabrics. I take an old school cloth diaper and lay it on the crotch of the cover, that way I'm not having to change the cover every time he needs to be changed. His bum looks huge when we do this, but oh well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Good luck!  I started at around 4 weeks old, and I actually LOVE doing CD laundry... Did not expect that, hope it lasts!  We only have enough right now for two full days, so she uses disposables on the third day, wash day.  The poopy diapers are a drag though... I try to anticipate when it will be a dirty diaper and put certain diapers on her that I've found work better than others.

BFP#1 EDD 11/8/11 - MC @ 9w6d, 4/15/11 we said goodbye
    BFP#2 DD arrived 5/7/12
  • I just graduated mine from pre-folds to her one size!!! Hooray for Cloth.
  • My one size are Bum Genius (she fits!) and Trend Lab (still too big)

I used prefolds with covers... Old school style up till this point. Thirsties diaper covers stuffed with regular old Gerber cotton diapers... You know the kind that most people use as burp cloths? We did disposables for the first two-three weeks. I could not imagine having a newborn for the first time and having to do diapers as well... OMG.

• Lol, I kinda did the same thing the first day I used them. I realized after he soiled one pair that I hadn't purchased a wet bag or anything like that...so they went in the bathtub until I could get to town.

my stash is exclusively OS pockets, I'm amazed that at 3 weeks I already have to adjust the elastics bigger!
    Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • erb82erb82 member

imagebornmommy:
    I've already had one mini melt down because, in the moment, I forgot what to do with poopy diapers.  All is better now!! Very exciting stuff for me...this is how you can tell I have a newborn.  Cloth diaper is exciting... Haha!

What exactly do you do with poopy diapers?  I'm not trying to snark, just interested in other people's systems.  Both my daughters are in cloth diapers, and as long as they weren't eating solids the poops just went straight into the laundry without being rinsed or anything.  Good luck with your cloth diapering, I think it's exciting too! 

• imagekatiemrob:
    I am about to start CD as well and am a little nervous! We have been using disposables because she is so small and hasn't fit into any of the refolds/covers until now. I have to admit that the disposables sure are easy... but she pees every hour and they are pricey! Which CD types/brands are you guys using?

DS was super skinny too which is why we waited.  (that and we had a ton of disposables from gift givers and they were so easy....) My stash consists of bumgenius elementals (aio), fuzzibuns elite one size, and Charlie bananas small size.  I just order some pre folds and covers.  Very exciting stuff!! 

So far he has been through six :) 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• imageerb82:

imagebornmommy:

What exactly do you do with poopy diapers?  I'm not trying to snark, just interested in other people's systems.  Both my daughters are in cloth diapers, and as long as they weren't eating solids the poops just went straight into the laundry without being rinsed or anything.  Good luck with your cloth diapering, I think it's exciting too! 

By advice from two friends that cloth, I bought Babyganics stain remover.  I spray it on and throw it in the pail to be washed on laundry day.  Then I'll put them kithara the sun one day a week (another recommendation from a friend). Apparently the sun gets out stains!  Good luck to you!

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• I love CDing!  We used sposies at the beginning before her belly button stump fell off but now we are 100% CD (although we do have a pack of disposables for emergencies).  We're mostly using prefolds and covers right now, but we have a few random fitteds, some DIY fitteds that I made, and a growing stash of one size pockets (BumGenius, Blueberry, Kawaii, Rumparooz, Alva, and Coolababy) for when she starts daycare.  Buying CDs is addictive, I have to remind myself to stop.  Embarrassed

Our method is that we just throw dirty diapers into the wetbag.  I wash every 3rd day or so and do a pre-rinse, hot wash, then an extra rinse.  Working great so far!

Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
    4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

• We've done cd's since we got home from  the hospital, save the 4 days we were traveling. Love them! We just throw poopy diapers in the wash, though it's easier (from a certain standpoint) because she'sonly pooping once a week. Of course, it's a massive, awful poop...

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Cloth diapers are so much fun! We've gotten compliments on his dinosaur cover at our weekly moms & babies group.

I spray Bac-Out (diluted 4:1) on our poopy diapers, but plenty of people don't and their diapers wash out just fine. 

We have prefolds, fitteds, pockets and AIOs. I like variety, and the pockets and AIOs make for quicker diaper changes when we are out running errands. Love the fitteds for how they contain the newborn poop! Also I'm hoping when DH comes home from his latest business trip he can use the pockets and AIOs when it's his turn to change the baby, and see how easy it is! 

• We are starting to CD after our big move to CA next week (we waited because 1 he was small, and 2 I didn't want to have to think about packing/moving/unpacking and diapering etc) but I am super excited about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"