November 2011 Moms

Spoiling Baby Clicky Poll

So LO has quite the personality and has from day 1. He has no problem letting you know when he wants something and if you aren't getting it for him fast enough. He has enough toys for a couple babies, from both us and family. He also gets plenty of attention 24/7. Now, some may aruge that this is how it should be and that's not considered "spoiling".... others argue that since baby's personality is developing, overindulging them with toys, etc is setting them up to be spoiled now and later on in their lives. What do you think?

[Poll]

Re: Spoiling Baby Clicky Poll

• I think that it's possible in the sense of an insane amount of toys or in giving in to temper tantrums that even little babies sometimes throw, for example LO started kicking and crying when I took her out of the swing at the park today. But not in the sense of being held and snuggled.

Although I do think it's unhealthy to teach them that you will neglect your needs in favor of their wants even though I don't think that would be considered spoiling.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I adhere to the adage, "year 1 is for enthroning, year 2 is for dethroning". 

ETA:  I don't think that piles and piles of toys are necessary at any age, but I'm all for lots of love and attention, even past the 1 year mark, but I do become more aware and start setting limits 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My personal opinion is that it's not a matter of spoiling but of setting an expectation.  There is no way that I can always respond to everyone else's needs immediately all the time, this includes the non-emergency needs of my girls.  I appreciate that DD2 can sometimes sit on her own on the floor and play, if she cries I cannot always run to pick her up (e.g. I'm in the bathroom) but she needs to know that she can still count on me to meet her needs so there is a balance somewhere.  We have a house full of toys it seems but they have accumulated over 3 yrs and we try to buy very few but buying toys is like everything else in life, a personal decision on how to spend your money.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Eh, not really an issue for us.  Here's the thing you learn about toys real quick - the kids, especially those under 4, don't really care about toys THAT much. My DD has lots of toys, but really prefers being outside with us, playing in the park, going swimming. I guess I am more about experiences, than toys. Granted, we have lot of toys, because we have two sets of generous grandparents, but I myself never buy toys. I buy a lot of books, though!

P.S. You can't "spoil" a baby this young. They simply don't have the capacity to understand that they are being spoiled.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"