Working Moms
Options

Salary comparison websites

Does anyone know of any good websites where you can look at typical salaries for your area and profession? I'm thinking of speaking to my boss about a raise and want to have some information to provide him.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

Re: Salary comparison websites

• Options
    I used the big job search websites, like Monster. I didn't think to check LinkedIn, but they might have something. If your school has an alumni center, they could probably help you out too.
  • Options
    Try salary.com
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've heard that salary.com is inflated, but I used it to get an average.  My job didn't really fit into any description I found, so I created a spreadsheet using a combination of several jobs and the different ranges.

I've also used Payscale.com, because it allows you to customize your role a bit.  You can add education, # people managed, years experience, size of company, etc., and it produces a range.  It will tell you the number of simplar positions in the area, and shows salary, bonus, total comp, etc.

I'm going through this process now.  It's a long one at my huge, slow-moving company.  I submitted my spreadsheet and back-up to my boss about 6 weeks ago, HR did their own study, and I found out yesterday that they agree that I am grossly underpaid.  Let's see when/how this gets resolved...

Good luck!

• Options
    jlaOKjlaOK member
    imagemae0111:

I've heard that salary.com is inflated, but I used it to get an average.  My job didn't really fit into any description I found, so I created a spreadsheet using a combination of several jobs and the different ranges.

I've also used Payscale.com, because it allows you to customize your role a bit.  You can add education, # people managed, years experience, size of company, etc., and it produces a range.  It will tell you the number of simplar positions in the area, and shows salary, bonus, total comp, etc.

I'm going through this process now.  It's a long one at my huge, slow-moving company.  I submitted my spreadsheet and back-up to my boss about 6 weeks ago, HR did their own study, and I found out yesterday that they agree that I am grossly underpaid.  Let's see when/how this gets resolved...

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion.  I really liked payscale.com because I was able to put in my professional license, which, in my field is a big salary separator. I regret not being well prepared when I originally negotiated my salary and now I'm paying for it (literally).

Good luck with your own negotiations, it sounds like you are getting close. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options

imageemu0013:
    Try salary.com

Just tried that and it was pretty much right on for both me and DH.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member
    I don't trust them. I have checked a couple out of curiosity and looked up my current job. My pay is 100% determined by a chart, no negotiating whatsoever. I am at the very top of the pay scale for my position. Every salary comparison site I checked showed the average for my position as about 10K more than I make, which isn't even remotely possible.
  • Options

imagess+el:
    I don't trust them. I have checked a couple out of curiosity and looked up my current job. My pay is 100% determined by a chart, no negotiating whatsoever. I am at the very top of the pay scale for my position. Every salary comparison site I checked showed the average for my position as about 10K more than I make, which isn't even remotely possible.

I work as a Compensation Analyst for a large government contractor. We consider up to 120% of the market as In the average/acceptable range. Yes, it's high but there are always circumstances as to why someone is paid higher than average (I.e. special skill set, etc). We also benchmark our jobs/salaries to our industry not across the board. A bank software engineer may be paid differently than a govt contractor sw engingeer. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"