Secondary IF

HSG and oil-based dye?

Hi,

I just found out about a potential link in conception and the type of HSG dye used.

Basically, the study says that using an oil-based dye doubles the rate of conception over a 12 month period (from 27% to 41-44%).

My little mind is crazy trying to figure out what kind of dye they used on me. Some further research said that it is poppy-seed oil with a little iodine added.  How interesting!  The oil-based dye is about twice as expensive, so maybe they don't use it as much.  

All that said, the article was from 2009 (which is, like, decades ago in internet and science time).  Maybe there is an "industry standard" dye now?

Any thoughts on this, ladies? 

Here's the link: https://alabamafertility.blogspot.com/2007/08/does-hysterosalpingogram-make-you-more.html

Edited to add: Not that this makes ANY difference to my current pregnancy status, or any difference on our future path to conception.  It is just the hamster wheel of 2ww insanity.  So I thought I'd share.  Sigh. 

CageyMack
37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

Re: HSG and oil-based dye?

• That is SO interesting.  Especially since I had my HSG yesterday and go tomorrow for my follicle check.  I am pretty positive he said thought that mine was a water based solution. Oh well!  I did think while I was going through the procedure that I wonder if shooting the iodine through helps to wash out the tubes a little?  Wishful thinking :)
  • I live in Alabama and considered using the doctor in the website you referenced so i have read it. I thought it was very interesting too. 
    TTC #2 for 18 months RE for 7 months progesterone=BFN/ clomid=BFN/ IUI#1 with clomid =BFN laparoscopy-Diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis. IUI#2 letrozole/follistim combo...baby #2 due 3/23/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know the details behind the dye, but my RE did say that he generally sees increased odds of conception after a HSG, even if there weren't any blockages to begin with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"