October 2011 Moms
Options

SCOTUS

The Supreme Court just ruled to uphold the Affordable Healthcare Act. As VP Biden would say, "This is a big fv<k!ng deal."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand go.

Re: SCOTUS

• Options
    Obama said he was going to change Health Care and he did it!  I am happy he was able to get this done.  Many have tried and failed before!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm not stating my opinion on whether I agree or disagree.I will say no one has ever said it's unconstitutional for the state I live in to force you to have car insurance and they can fine you pretty hefty and suspend your liscence and registration if you don't. I believe at a certain point you can be arrested and spend up to a year in jail. I don't really see the difference. I'm not going to discuss anything else about it.

ETA: And I can't speak for the whole state but the area I live in has very little access to public transportation and most things require a car to get to because you would get killed walking places. The majority of families have to have 1 car per adult driver because of work commutes and not being able to walk places if someone else has the car.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecantalopes24:
    I'm not stating my opinion on whether I agree or disagree.I will say no one has ever said it's unconstitutional for the state I live in to force you to have car insurance and they can fine you pretty hefty and suspend your liscence and registration if you don't. I believe at a certain point you can be arrested and spend up to a year in jail. I don't really see the difference. I'm not going to discuss anything else about it.

This is actually a really interesting analogy.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I happen to agree with/support the ruling but I also understand that I'm not a constitutional scholar. Even if I didn't agree with the decision, I would have been so glad to have a final word on it and close the book.

When I think of all the time, money and energy that has been wasted on this argument, I get really frustrated. Like pp, I'm happy to have a president who accomplished what he said he would.

I understand politics can be a touchy subject on TB but it's been slow lately. I thought it was time to get people talking.

• Options
    btsrc5btsrc5 member
    imagecantalopes24:

Automobile insurance is actually very different than health insurance.  The required coverage for auto insurance is for LIABILITY insurance... which is if you cause injury or harm to OTHER people.  You are not required to have coverage for your own vehicle or for yourself.  It protects an individual and their assets should they be at fault for a loss.

ETA: the required limits are extremely low - no one should ever just get minimal limits. 

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

Well, I don't live in the states, but I'm impressed that the Court upheld it, and impressed that Justice Roberts actually acted as a justice and not a politician. I haven't read the decision, but the little I've read indicates that they did an intelligent analysis. 

And I went to law school in the US so I feel justified in having an opinion!

• Options
    imageamcclindon:
    imagecantalopes24:

This has been my argument since this healthcare reform came about. I live in WA state and it is illegal not to have car insurance here as well. We also cannot talk on our cell phones while we drive. IMO, healthcare insurance is VERY important. I'm so happy this has been upheld. I work in the medical field and I see on a daily basis how many resources are wasted due to people either not having medical insurance, or not understanding how to use their insurance. I think part of the reform needs to focus on education -- i.e. It is not okay to call for an ambulance ride to the ER when you have a scratchy throat, or my personal favorite, girls coming to the ER (with no insurance) for a pregnancy test so they can take the results to the state and get medicaid. So ridiculous.

ITA. MH has worked in a couple ERs and the stories he's told me are crazy. I have someone who works under me who has state insurance and takes her kids to the ER even if it's normal hours for her pedi. Partially I think it's so she can call out of work for the day.

• Options

imageamcclindon:

This has been my argument since this healthcare reform came about. I live in WA state and it is illegal not to have car insurance here as well. We also cannot talk on our cell phones while we drive. IMO, healthcare insurance is VERY important. I'm so happy this has been upheld. I work in the medical field and I see on a daily basis how many resources are wasted due to people either not having medical insurance, or not understanding how to use their insurance. I think part of the reform needs to focus on education -- i.e. It is not okay to call for an ambulance ride to the ER when you have a scratchy throat, or my personal favorite, girls coming to the ER (with no insurance) for a pregnancy test so they can take the results to the state and get medicaid. So ridiculous.

Don't you have a Planned Parenthood in your town?  Jeez girls, the wait is much shorter!

• Options
    Yes we can  :)
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Is it bad that I dont pay attention to the changes?

All I know is that My DH says that Obama should not be reelected

• Options
    imagemrsgabus:

If you're not a political person, you're not a political person. That being said, I hope when you vote, you vote based on your thoughts, not just your DH's opinion.

• Options
    imageFianschneid:
    imagemrsgabus:

If you're not a political person, you're not a political person. That being said, I hope when you vote, you vote based on your thoughts, not just your DH's opinion.

I should explain. I am not Political In any way. IF I were to vote I would make sure I at least looked at the candidates to find out which one I liked or disliked the least.I still have another 2 years before I can apply for US citizenship If we dont move back to Canada,Since Im only a Permanent resident I cant vote

• Options
    imagemrsgabus:
    imageFianschneid:
    imagemrsgabus:

I should explain. I am not Political In any way. IF I were to vote I would make sure I at least looked at the candidates to find out which one I liked or disliked the least.I still have another 2 years before I can apply for US citizenship If we dont move back to Canada,Since Im only a Permanent resident I cant vote

Ahhhh. That makes a lot of sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"