3rd Trimester
Options

Pushing with an epidural

I would like to have the option of having an epidural, but am afraid that it will prevent me from feeling contractions, therefore making it harder for me to push. And I am really concerned that I won't have the strength to push if that natural urge is dampened by the drugs, because I have been reduced to a pathetic weakling over the past few months (have been put on modified bed rest, etc, and now barely have any energy to walk up a flight of stairs!) I feel like I will end up with a c-section either way - either because I can't successfully push the kiddo out with an epidural when I don't feel contractions, or because I don't get an epidural and pass out for the pain. Bah. Would love to hear from moms who have been there and done that about this - did having an epidural impede your ability to push?

Re: Pushing with an epidural

• Options

I had a natural childbirth and it was hard to push. After 13 hours and nothing to eat, I just didn't have it in me. So instead of pushing, my nurse had me play tug of war with her, pulling a sheet. It simulates the pushing movement but you don't have to do anything but tug as hard as you can on the sheet. My daughter was born shortly after.

Here is the info:

https://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/tug.html

• Options
    With my first, I had an epidural.  I couldn't feel anything...pressure, contractions, etc.  I was totally numb.  I only pushed about three times (maybe through two contractions) and my son was born.  In my mind, I could still isolate my ab muscles even though I couldn't feel myself doing it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my epidural I was able to feel the pressure of my contractions when it was time to push. It took me about 45 mins to get DD out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had an epi and couldn't feel the contractions so the nurse told me to put my hands on my stomach and when I felt it tighten to push.  3 pushes and he was here.  The nurses will coach you on when and how to push.  Don't give up on yourself before you even try!! :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have had a epi for all my kids and while you may not feel your contractions you will still be able to push. I still felt the pressure when they came out but it wasnt painful at all. The only thing I dont like about the epi is my legs were numb for a few hours afterwards. 

• Options
    I had an epi and the nurses just told me when to push.  It really was fairly easy by that point.  I did like three pushes and DD was out.  They also let her labor down so really by that point my body had done most of the work without me having to push. 
  • Options
    Is it true that they can turn the epi down when it's time to push so that you can feel it better?
  • Options

Personally- I had an epidural and the anthestiologist told me specifically " I will NOT be able to stop- the pain associated with actual pushing.. this will only help the pain during contractions.." He was totally right.. I felt it all.

I didn't find that it hindered my ability to push at all.. not one bit.

If you can't feel it-- ask them to turn the strength down.

• Options

I had an epi but was feeling a lot of pressure when they were ready for me to push. The pressure was like what you feel when you have a BM (sorry if thats tmi). In fact that's what a lot of women describe it as when they are fully dilated according to the nurse I had. It made me want to push. I will be having an epi this time as well.

About turning the epi down. I have heard of that but I was on a pump and my DD was born so fast that I don't really think it would have had time to wear down enough to benefit me in pushing.

• Options
    I had an epi with my first and I was able to feel when to push.  At first the nurses were actually watching the monitors and telling me when to push but I could feel when it was time so they let me tell them when I was ready.  I do remember (before I started pushing) the nurses asking me if I wanted the epi "re-dosed" because I was feeling some discomfort as I got close to 10cm.  But I declined the re-dosing because I wanted to know for myself when to push.  I definitely still had pain relief from the epi but I wasn't completely 100% numb...I could definitely feel him crowning although I'm sure I would have felt more without the epi.  I'm pretty sure the nurses can tone down the epi some when it's time to push if that's something you want.  Just a thought.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    I had an epi and mine didn't work very well so I ended up feeling every contraction. Because of this, I knew exactly when to push since I could feel the contractions and the pressure. It took 2 hours of pushing and them finally giving me an episiotomy in order to get her out. I think I would have pushed another 2 hours if they hadn't given me an episiotomy.
  • Options
    Kasi80Kasi80 member
    With my epi I was completely numb.  I couldn't feel anything so they had to tell me when to push.  Some of the time I thought I was pushing but they said I wasn't.  That's how numb I was.  I only pushed a few times before DD came out. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    With my DD, I had an epidural, and was completely numb.  My dr had to tell me when to push.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had an epidural, and the midwife just told me how to push. It went fine.

• Options
    catmtlcatmtl member
    I just gave birth with the epidural and pushed for one hour total. It would have been BRUTAL without the epi as the doc was really reaching in there and stretching everything. The epi started to wear off the second half hour of pushing so I definitely felt the pressure and the urge to push. I have absolutely no regrets at getting the epi and have had no side effects since then. I was up and showering about an hour or two after giving birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagemmw0212:
    Is it true that they can turn the epi down when it's time to push so that you can feel it better?

I was at 10 cm at 6am and they kept telling me I had to wait to feel the urge to push before they would let me push. I just didn't feel like I wanted to push, I couldn't feel anything. They turned my epi totally off and we waited for a few hours until I felt like I needed to push. I sat at 10cm from 6am-10am when he was finally born  

• Options

imagemmw0212:

I was at 10 cm at 6am and they kept telling me I had to wait to feel the urge to push before they would let me push. I just didn't feel like I wanted to push, I couldn't feel anything. They turned my epi totally off and we waited for a few hours until I felt like I needed to push. I sat at 10cm from 6am-10am when he was finally born  

• Options

imagemmw0212:

• Options

I was told I had the "perfect" epidural, so I guess it probably won't happen again, but I felt ctx, but not the pain with them. I felt dd moving. I could feel my legs and knew when to push. I also stood up an hour after delivery and moved to the wheelchair on my own.

Each experience and body responds differently.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Apparently I have exceptional pushing skillz (who knew?) but I had an epi with both kiddos and had DS out in 30 minutes and DD out in ONE push.  Both were well over 9 pounds.

I don't think it mattered at all and I'd much rather have the epi, then not have it.  Especially considering that I make little monster babies. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    With my last I had an epi and while pushing wasn't perfect, I could still feel my stomach tighten up.  Consequently, I used that as my signal to start pushing.  She was out in 9 minutes of pushing.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't have an epidural until my 3rd child and I was able to push him out (9lbs2oz) in 2-3 contractions very easily. Part of this may be because I knew where/how to push already even though I didn't have complete feeling down there and also maybe the "way had been paved" already?? :)

I do know that a lot of it will just depend on how good your epi is. Some are way too strong where you literally can't feel anything or even more your legs. A good one will still let you feel sensation down there and even more your legs a bit. I think that will be your biggest issue and unfortunately you don't have a whole lot of control over that apart from asking them to turn it down which I think is becoming more standard now for the pushing phase. 

Regardless, don't go into it with such a negative attitude. You need to try and be positive and tell yourself you will be able to do. A lot of it is in your head and if you're doubting yourself now, it will be really easy to doubt yourself in labor and give into other interventions much quicker (forceps, vacuum, c-section) that you may have not really needed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

With my two kids, I was on bedrest for 20+ weeks and was concerned about muscle atrophy and physcially being able to push out a baby and asked about physcial therapy or something to help after 36 wks.  My OB reassured me that your body is capable of it and would know what to do.

I was induced with both of mine so that helped to keep the contractions going.  I did have an epidural but it was placed when I was at 9cm for DD and 10 cm for DS. Obviously, I labored through most of it and definitely felt the urge to push but the nurses didn't believe that I had progressed that quickly - hence how I ended up so dilated without an epi.  I could still feel the contractions but nothing like before and you can also watch your stomach.  With me, when I have a contraction i also feel it in my chest and shortness of breath.  Also, once the epi was in it was like drinking a red bull and without having the pain I had a jolt of energy and could focus on the baby and pushing. 

Trust your body and best of luck.

I would suggest waiting as long as possible before getting the epi if you don't have pitocin helping you along because it can slow down the process.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had an epi, could feel some of the contractions, and wiggle my toes.  The nurses will tell you when to push because you are hooked up to a monitor that shows when they start.  They will also help hold your legs up so you can use them as leverage to help pushing.  I pushed for 3 hours with my son...yes 3 HOURS!  He wasn't face down though which is why it took longer.  My DR didn't come in until he was crowning.  We had to actually stop and wait for him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My epi ended up failing, but even when it was working I could feel my legs just fine & I felt the contractions, they just weren't excruciating.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    I had an epidural. Pushed for 3 hours, they did the episiotomy, and 3 pushes later she was out. I could still feel some of the contractions and felt A LOT of pressure. My nurse was awesome and coached me through pushing the whole time. OB spent most of the time doing paperwork in the corner (she had deliver several babies that night) until the nurse called her over. 
  • Options

I agree w/ a number of the PPs- for both of my kiddos I was insistent that they not make the epi too strong- I was adament that I would be upset if I couldn't feel anything at all- I wanted at least some control. Both times, they didn't make it too strong, and I didn't feel pain but did feel pressure. As others said, the nurses/dr. tell you when to push anyway, but I felt like I was able to gauge how hard to push. DD was out in 3 pushes and DS was out in 7. I also think having some control helped avoid tearing (I didn't tear either time). That's just my own theory; who knows.

GL- you'll do great!

• Options
    The nurse and Dr will tell you when you are having a contraction and to push. Just push like you are pooing, even if you can't feel anything. With my first, I was numb, felt no paid or pressure, but I knew somthing was in there. I pushed like I was pooing and after 4 pushes he was out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"