Houston Babies

Diaper Bag Rec

So I'm bored and looking online for diaper bags, there are soo many options! So I wanted to see what everyone recommends, what diaper bag do you have? pros/cons? TIA.

Re: Diaper Bag Rec

• Do you have a price range and style in mind?
  • We had the most success with the DadGear diaper bag. My girlie one was not as well laid out - so my husband's became our go-to bag.

That said, we used an official diaper bag for only a short time. It became too much to carry around.

We soon traveled with this small messenger - and, when bottles were still necessary, a small cooler/thermal bag for those. Two great small bags working well together.

In our situation, we tend to go from home to school/work and home. We keep the smaller messenger bag on hand in case we need to eat out or go by somewhere on the way home.

These days, we need little more than a bib, a cup, a diaper, and some wipes.

That said - if we have need of another big diaper bag the DadGear one has our vote.

• Loading the player...
  • I have a Skip Hop and HATE it...  Used it for 2 weeks and bought a new one...  I splurged and got the Kate Spade..  I can't say enough good things about it...  Especially now that I know I have to carry it for the next 3 years...  at least...
  • imagejeneric04:
    Do you have a price range and style in mind?

I'm open to anything, I don't want to limit myself, so any style and price works for me! Smile

• imagebpaullo:
    I have a Skip Hop and HATE it...  Used it for 2 weeks and bought a new one...  I splurged and got the Kate Spade..  I can't say enough good things about it...  Especially now that I know I have to carry it for the next 3 years...  at least...

Oh no!  I just bought a skip hip... what don't you like about it?

I got a Kate Spade too (in a different color) for some variety, but I thought that I would like the Skip Hop.  Haven't used either yet though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I like our SkipHop, tons of pockets and you can directly strap it to the stroller
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • My Kate Spade hooks directly on to the stoller and I really like that.. The Skip Hop does too, but not as easily... I have the Skip Hop Dash.. I'll sell it to you for 1/2 price it's gray with blue edging... Anyway, it doesn't open very wide. I always had to take everything out of it to get to the stuff on the bottom. The pockets are nice, but just were not the right size for the things we needed. The Dash has a top flap. I felt like I was always trying to stuff the stuff into it to get it closed.. I will admit that I tend to over pack... it was just not large enough.. The Kate Spade opens really wide. It has 2 outter pockets that are perfect. 1 for my stuff, 1 for baby.. It has a nice zippered compartment inside for my wallet.
  • Bpaullo, which Skip Hop do you have?  I rreally like the one we have.  Could it be because Cameron is still little that I'm finding it useful?

I love the stroller attachments too Pagas.

• We have the Via Messenger bag.  It is actually DH's (he likes the antimicrobial pocket for dirty diaper storage). 
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Almond!!!!  That is the best pic EVER...  Sooooooooo cute!!!!!! I just want to nibble him up......

I have the Dash..  It just doesn't open very wide..  It has a flap and I felt like I had to shove the stuff down to close the flap...  DH has the Duo.  I like it better than the Dash, but not as much as the Kate Spade.  The Kate Spade also hooks onto the stoller and it's a much easier process because the hook things are longer and are more of a clasp than lock.  It's easy to do with one hand...  It also had a larger interior pocket perfect for my wallet...

• My friend gave me her SkipHop and I like it.  I use it for two children and it works well.  I love that it straps on to the stroller.

• I switched to the Spark by Skip Hop bag at Target, which is similar to the Duo and liked it.  I had a Lands End Little Tripper before that, and it was just ok to me.  I now just carry a bag or big purse with diaper/wipes, snack, and sippy added.
  • I have a Fleurville Sling Tote that I bought during their "scratch and dent" sale, so I got a great deal on it.  I'm not a fan of messenger-style bags, so this one works really well for me.
  • forgot to mention that Kate Spade goes on clearance all the time.  I got it for less than $100....
  • Mine was hand made from a boutique outside of Dallas (shower gift).  I love it because it is small but has 4 pockets inside for various uses and 2 small pockets on the outside for bottles.  I hate anything that is much bigger than my purse.  I pack rather light but you learn a lot after #1 to prepare for #2 :)

You should have seen my PBK diaper bag for our first outing with #1.  I think we could have lived out of it for 2+ weeks it had so much stuff.  I tossed the huge bag after 1 month.

• I had this one from Target.

https://tinyurl.com/64gb8q

When I first got it I thought it would be too small, so I tried about 3 others too. Always came back to this. I loved the insulated pockets for bottles. Admittedly I am not an overpacker, but we were always able to carry everything we needed. It says mini, but i think it was average size, bigger then a purse.

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Since I am preggers with #2 I splurged and got the Elizabeth Storksak. I love it! It has lots of pockets and lots of room. It is all leather and can be used well after last baby is out of diapers. It could be used for a computer bag or just a large bag to carry a lot of kiddo stuff.

• I have several diaper bags, but my favorite is a one strap backpack from Pottery Barn Kids. I can wear it and carry Ava and not kill my shoulder. I can just pull it around front to get my wallet, etc. out. It was cheap too! Only around $30. ?I too have a Skip Hop (the Target one) but have yet to use it! Good luck.?
  • imagelakeys:

Since I am preggers with #2 I splurged and got the Elizabeth Storksak. I love it! It has lots of pockets and lots of room. It is all leather and can be used well after last baby is out of diapers. It could be used for a computer bag or just a large bag to carry a lot of kiddo stuff.

Andrea, is that you?  I was wondering when I'd see you here :) 

I also have a Storksak and it was great when DS was small, I couldn't believe all the crap I was able to stash in that thing, I was always prepared.  Now since I don't need as much and I do tend to over pack I am on the hunt for a smaller bag. 

image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • i rotate between a lesport sac bag and a kate spade backpack.

my lesportsac is the perfect size (not their diaper bag - that is HUGE), and like pp, i just grab our small thermos tote when we need to bring some milk.  it has LOTS of pockets, and is divided, so i keep clothes & diapers on one side, and snacks/water cup/cosmetic bag with paci/lotion/etc. on the other side.

i like the kate spade backpack, but would not have been able to use it when she was younger, and we were packing more things bc you have to pull everything out to get to anything on the bottom.  but i still like it a lot.

my bff just got a kate spade diaper bag for her bday and for #2 on the way... she likes it a lot...

ditto bpaullo about kate spade sales... keep your eye out for them, and check out the outlet! (there's one at the 290 outlets)

• I had a skip hop Duo and hated it.  Main pockets were really deep, but then the bag was narrow and didn't open very wide, so everything just fell to the bottom and I couldn't find anything.

Just goes to show that different people like different things!

• To add, I would suggest buying a bag in person instead of online, if you possibly can.
  • I always liked my Petunia Pickle Bottom, but am now down to simply a backpack for convenience!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh thanks ladies! I think I found a few I really like so I am going to go check them out in stores sometime. Smile
  • We love our Petunia Pickle Bottom. We got one of the larger ones and it has a great strap so you can wear it messenger style. It has lots of pockets and a removable changing pad and zipper baggie. I got it at a great price in thier seconds and discontinued sale.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i have a Vera Bradley baby bag and love it.  I started out with a Kate Spade diaper bag but the one I got didn't open wide enough for me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i have a fleurville sling tote that has been in the bottom of my closet since my son was 3 mos old. i never carried bottles, so maybe my needs were different but i have carried a large purse or tote with my baby items in heavy duty plastic zipper bags from the container store for 19 mos now. the sling tote was both too small and too bulky. the pockets didn't function well and the outside pockets were almost useless. it was really hard to find things in the bag... i paid full price for it, too. i think it was one of the biggest wastes of money of all the baby gear i bought (this style of bag, not buying a diaper bag in general)...

however, with #2 on the way i think my fashion + function routine will change and i will be buying a diaper bag again...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"