Multiples
Options

Questions to ask potential pediatricians

Hello,

My husband and I are expecting twins late this fall :) We are in the process of finding a pediatrician, and have gotten a few names from friends in our area. We are setting up "meet and greets" in the weeks to come, and I'm wondering what would be some good questions to ask potential doctors? We have no other children, so we're looking for general questions anyone would ask, as well as any twin-specifics? TIA for any ideas!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Questions to ask potential pediatricians

• Options
    We really only have one place to go for peds.  We ended up cycling through docs until we found one we liked.  We told the doctors office that we will ONLY see that one doc and they have been kind enough to abide by our request.  He was very friendly.. knowledgeable and didn't act like an snobby bastard when we looked at various schedules for vaccines.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We asked about what he thinks the best thing to do for a fussy baby was, because I just wanted to get an idea of his personality more than his medical practices, because I knew he was competent, I just wanted to know if his personality was like ours. 

I wanted someone laid back, because I'm such a worrier. And so I liked his responses to what to do in case of fever, what fever I should go to the er for, and when to call the doctor. As far as twin questions I asked him if they are treated any differently, and he said no. Which I liked.

When we go we make two appointments right after each other and he takes time to ask and examine one baby at a time. We never really talk about them both, he treats each child totally individually.  

Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jcathjcath member

My suggestion is that you want a location that's convenient.  Going to the Dr with newborn infants is hard - you don't want a long commute. I think you want to ask about how they handle after hours calls, are they open on Saturday, can you get in on the same day if you need a sick visit? Oh and ask if they have a nurses call in line or how can you get questions answered if you aren't calling for an appt.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejcath:

My suggestion is that you want a location that's convenient.  Going to the Dr with newborn infants is hard - you don't want a long commute. I think you want to ask about how they handle after hours calls, are they open on Saturday, can you get in on the same day if you need a sick visit? Oh and ask if they have a nurses call in line or how can you get questions answered if you aren't calling for an appt.

These are all good suggestions.  If you plan to breastfeed, I'd find out their philosophy on that and whether they have lactation consultants available.  And if you're considering alternative vaccine scheduled, you'll need to make sure they're okay with that - not all doctors are willing to deviate from the standard schedule.

As for any twin-specific things, while there, you might look at how the office is laid out, in terms of whether it would be difficult for you to maneuver a double stroller if you have to take them both to the pedi by yourself.  Not a deciding factor, but something to think about.  I think the most important twin-specific question is how easy it is to get back-to-back appointments.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know you asked about the pedi, but really look at the layout of the office. Can you fit a DSNG or SBS in the waiting room, into the exam rooms, etc. Are there stairs? Do the doors have the button to push so they automatically open? Would you be able to comfortable get two babies into the office by yourself?

Sadly, I speak from experience that I didn't pay nearly enough attention to those things and I require significant support from the office staff to get in and out by myself with both babies (There are stairs and an elevator, but the elevator is TINY. My DSNG didn't fit and now my BJCM doesn't either). I am honestly considering changing practices because it's just a PIA, although I'm guessing/hoping it will be better once I have walkers.

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I know all the books recommend to interview or meet the pediatrician ahead of time but I'm wondering how common this really is.  Are you charged for the mtg?  Would insurance cover that?
  • Options

imageweddinginbloom:
    I know all the books recommend to interview or meet the pediatrician ahead of time but I'm wondering how common this really is.  Are you charged for the mtg?  Would insurance cover that?

I only interviewed two, but neither charged for it.

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for such helpful tips! I don't think I would've paid very much attention to the office and layout, but for sure will now :) Love how helpful these boards are!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageweddinginbloom:

We just thought it made sense to check them out before hand - wouldn't want to leave our first appts disappointed. I want to ask a few questions, but I think mostly just talking to them for a few minutes will give me a sense of their personality and if I think that will be a good fit. The 2 offices I've called so far set up courtesy meet and greets for 10-15 minutes. Fortunately we have several choices in the area, and since I'm off in the summers, we thought we'd take advantage :)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"