Military Families

PCSing and I can't find a doctor who will take me after 32 weeks

We are moving to Thomasville, Georgia at the end of August. I am waiting for an official move date now. I will be 34 - 36 weeks when we move and every doctor that TRICARE recommended won't take me after 32 weeks. The receptionist said I can be a hospital walk in but I am not happy with that at all.

I am having my 3rd C-section and I want a tubal ligation. You can't just allow anybody to do this. My doctor here in Maryland will see me the week we leave and I will hand deliver a copy of my file and he will forward the file to the doctor.

Who do I call? What do I do?

Re: PCSing and I can't find a doctor who will take me after 32 weeks

• Is there a military hospital in the area you are moving to?  I had some problems when I moved at 34 weeks so I just walked into the Naval Hospital and said I can't get an appointment/doctor in time out in town.  Even though they weren't normally taking new patients, they made room for me.  I am sorry you are having a hard time finding a doctor.  It is ridiculous that is is even a problem!  Good luck!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • IF you are not near a military base, I have two suggestions.

1) go to your current base's TRICARE Service Center, explain the situation and see what they can do for you.

I do believe that you are moving from the North Region to the South Region, so they may not be able to help you, but maybe they can give you the name/number of a SUPERVISOR in Humana that can work with you.

2) Can you make an appointment EARLIER?  Make an appt, go down for a couple days, see the doc and then head on home?

3) As long as the provider takes Medicare, they take TRICARE Standard (though they may ask you to pay upfront and have you go through the TRICARE reimbursement stuff). 

Not to mention, you need to ensure that not only the OB takes TRICARE, but that the Anesthesiologist and Hospital take TRICARE reimbursements, since it seems you are not in a catchement area - i could be wrong though)  

The thing is, this is not a MILITARY / TRICARE issue, but an individual civilian provider issue.  They do not have to listen to their HMOs (be it TRICARE or Humana or the Blues) tell them to who they can take or not take unless they are in the network.  Again, if you are in a catchment area, you will need to have the HUMANA rep contact the docs (if they are in the network) to force the issue - ie get a referral.

SUCKS. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepeetie44:

We are moving to Thomasville, Georgia at the end of August. I am waiting for an official move date now. I will be 34 - 36 weeks when we move and every doctor that TRICARE recommended won't take me after 32 weeks. The receptionist said I can be a hospital walk in but I am not happy with that at all.

I am having my 3rd C-section and I want a tubal ligation. You can't just allow anybody to do this. My doctor here in Maryland will see me the week we leave and I will hand deliver a copy of my file and he will forward the file to the doctor.

I think opening a dialogue with an OB now would be your best bet. Tell your OB what's going on & have him call their office for you to speak to a Dr & explain that you really have no choice. Maybe he could forward your tests/progress/whatever to the GA OB to show you're not just skipping out on care. Also, I had a friend who got in with North Florida Women's Care around 36 weeks when she changed her mind about her midwife. It wasn't easy, but she proved that she's been getting care all along & not just someone who walked up to give birth after ignoring Dr's orders for 9 months. If I were you I would literally not take no for an answer. You are PCSing, not choosing to move, so I would think you're easily an exception. PM me if you want to talk more :)

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • imagecatdwg83:
    imagepeetie44:

I think opening a dialogue with an OB now would be your best bet. Tell your OB what's going on & have him call their office for you to speak to a Dr & explain that you really have no choice. Maybe he could forward your tests/progress/whatever to the GA OB to show you're not just skipping out on care. Also, I had a friend who got in with North Florida Women's Care around 36 weeks when she changed her mind about her midwife. It wasn't easy, but she proved that she's been getting care all along & not just someone who walked up to give birth after ignoring Dr's orders for 9 months. If I were you I would literally not take no for an answer. You are PCSing, not choosing to move, so I would think you're easily an exception. PM me if you want to talk more :)

Make sure when calling an OB you lead with this information, and I agree, REFUSE to take no for an answer. Im sorry you are going through this!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for the advice and the support. I followed everyones advice at some point within the past 2 weeks. Today I called the Women's Center for the 15th time and a kind lady on the other end made me an appointment and told me how and what to do about my medical records (fax a copy and carry a copy). I am relieved and I feel so much better now.

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"