High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

questions about blood sugar levels

They said I do not have gestational diabetes but one number on my 3 hour was off (the last number) and they said that I have to test 4 times a day. And, if the numbers were over target for 3 days (??) I have to call and see a different doctor. Now, I am worried I heard wrong..is it 3 READINGS or 3 days of readings that have higher than normal results that I should call?

I am kinda worried that the diet won't kick in the first few days because I have been eating HORRIBLY for the past few..like literally carb central..its all I want to eat it seems..so literally I had like cookies, rice krispie squares yesterday, etc. And, I think that's affecting today's morning number. I'm in canada so our numbers are different than yours..my target number for the morning is 5.5. My number was 5.9 this morn so 0.4 off. Is this incredibly high? or super worrisome? I know the fasting number is important.

Also, up until now my fasting numbers at all tests have been perfect.

Re: questions about blood sugar levels

• Options

I would call your doctor for clarification on what they're looking for.

As for the diet - it will start working within hours in some cases.  The only items I've eaten that elevate me for more than 1 test cycle are pastas and pizza.  Anything else, I might test high once and then go back to normal after that.

Not understanding your number system, I am of no help whatsoever on whether that's high or not, sorry!  Fasting numbers are the ones they worry about the most.  That was the only number that was high for me and I'm on glyburide for it.

Good luck! 

image Anniversary
  • Options

Ok...I'm type 1 diabetic and the way they do your numbers in Canada are by A1C percentages. So instead of saying your target number is 95, it's 5.5 (for those that read this and get confused). First off, they probably said 3 READINGS, not days of readings. Having 3 readings out of scale on a diet controlled GD means something isn't being controlled properly. And sorry, I'm going to sound mean in this but why would you be eating so terribly in the first place? Plus, numbers don't roll over. If I was 12.6 at night, a normal pancreas should regulate the number overnight and it should be around normal range in the morning. Your PAST meals have NOTHING to do with your current numbers. Each day is the start of something new.

I don't know how far along you are but the farther along you get, the more of your need for insulin increases. A 5.9 is high for a fasting number. It's even high for me and I've been diabetic since I was 4. I'd be looking into cutting out the carbs and actually sticking to the GD diet if you want to avoid being medicine controlled. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    esalyiesalyi member
    imagedeziraeb:

Ok...I'm type 1 diabetic and the way they do your numbers in Canada are by A1C percentages. So instead of saying your target number is 95, it's 5.5 (for those that read this and get confused). First off, they probably said 3 READINGS, not days of readings. Having 3 readings out of scale on a diet controlled GD means something isn't being controlled properly. And sorry, I'm going to sound mean in this but why would you be eating so terribly in the first place? Plus, numbers don't roll over. If I was 12.6 at night, a normal pancreas should regulate the number overnight and it should be around normal range in the morning. Your PAST meals have NOTHING to do with your current numbers. Each day is the start of something new.

I don't know how far along you are but the farther along you get, the more of your need for insulin increases. A 5.9 is high for a fasting number. It's even high for me and I've been diabetic since I was 4. I'd be looking into cutting out the carbs and actually sticking to the GD diet if you want to avoid being medicine controlled. 

Uh I just called the nurse and my doc 5.9 is not a high fasting number. Normal fasting numbers run up to 6.1, so it is well within the normal range. My target is 5.5. 0.4 over is not off enough to be worrisome. Stop fear mongering on this board.

• Options
    I apologize if it came off as fearful but I understand how their numbers work. In the US, a fasting number should be below 95, your equivalent to 5.5. A 5.9 for you is about a 105-110 for us which is worrisome under our guidelines. In the US, fasting numbers are EXTREMELY strict, with little to no wiggle room. Most women will tell you if they fail three numbers, their doctors change something with their diets. I apologize again if I worried you without concern, that's just how it works here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am with deziraeb. My fasting numbers have been wonky and they immediately put me on pills, the glueby-something. Your fasting numbers are not just harder to control but because you are sleep if they are consistently high could endanger the baby. I have controlled my numbers from 10 wks with diet and exercise. Now that I am at the last stretch I am needing more help.

Oh, and my fasting should be 60-90. Anything constantly over 90 is bad and cause for action.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"