Natural Birth

Natural birth with induction - is it possible?

I've been patient.  At least I think I have been.  I'm 42 weeks tomorrow, and I'm cranky.  I've gone in every three days for the last two weeks for NSTs and BPPs.  Today, they did a growth scan.  This baby is approximately 10 lbs 6 oz.  That is huge, but it didn't worry me too much.  What did worry me is that my fluid went from 11 cm on Friday to 6 cm today.  Five cm is the lowest they'll let you get.  The OB at the hospital (not mine) kind of lectured me about "this is why we don't let them go past 41 weeks" and "the baby could be in danger."

I called my OB because I was freaking out after what the other doctor said.  He said they'd push my induction from Friday up to Thursday.  I feel really conflicted about this - I really wanted a natural birth, but I'd rather an induction than a c-section.  How likely is it that I can still have a natural birth with an induction?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Natural birth with induction - is it possible?

• I haven't done it, but I know a couple of women who have had births induced with pitocin, and not gotten any other meds.  So it's possible.  Goodluck!
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • I know some women who have had a natural birth after induction.
    I was induced with my first and wanted a natural birth but opted for an epidural because the pitocin contractions were so strong and so sudden.

After 42 weeks though it does become dangerous, my home birth midwife strongly advises not to go past that mark.

• Loading the player...
  • It can be done.  I know of two women who have had inductions, but done the rest of the birth without any other medication.  Also, if you're concerned about your fluid levels, drink a ton of water.  I went 1 week, 3 days over my due date and my fluid levels had begun to drop. They advised me to drink lots of water, and my fluid levels increased enough to no longer be a concern.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally possible. I was induced with pitosin at 40 weeks, 1 day. I went on to have a 3 hour labor and delivery, with no pain medication. I was able to labor in the tub for half of the experience. 

After I had my LO, I had about 10 minutes of cuddle time before they ended up rushing me to surgery. I had to have a spinal and an hour of repair work in an OR. My LO was sunny side up, came out with her hand on her forehead, and was 9 lbs, 2 oz. 

I had a med-free birthing experience, but ended up with a spinal after all was said and done. Go figure! 

• I have no words about natural birth following induction other than I've read that women do it.  Sending you good thoughts. 
  • I've been induced twice. The first time was at 41 weeks due to low amniotic fluid. Because I was 5cm dilated when I checked in, we went straight to the pitocin, when that wasn't doing much, they broke my water. I was able to do it without any pain meds. It was intense, but manageable. With DD, I was induced at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I was not dilated at all, so the induction took much longer and we tried many methods before I went into active labor. I ended up getting an epidural after I had a small placental abruption - could have been caused by the pre-e or the pitocin. The abruption put me at a higher risk of a c-section and I did not want to be knocked out for that. Luckily, she was born just 48 minutes after I got the epidural. Anyway, it can be done. Are you dilated at all? Have you heard of the Bishop score? Sending labor dust and strength! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried any natural remedies for induction? I think natural birth with induction is definitley possible but much much harder. Chances are if they induce they will require you to have other interventions as well that will require you to remain in bed, like an EFM, IV line, etc. This will prevent you from getting into other postitions than lying on your back. I would def. look into natural remedies for induction.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for giving me some hope.  As of last check Monday, I'm 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced, and -2 station.  The OB said I had a favorable Bishop score, though he didn't tell me what it was.  I'm thinking it's about an 8.

Good to know about water affecting the amount of fluid.  I'll try to up my fluid intake today just to be sure the baby's okay.

imageMrs.Reyna2008:
    Have you tried any natural remedies for induction?

By 42 weeks, I have tried EVERYTHING there is for natural induction (aside from castor oil).  I have chased down every OWT that exists.  It just wasn't happening.

• I was induced, and I attempted a natural birth, but had preeclampsia and the contraction pain was skyrocketing my bp, they almost made me section but the epidural calmed my pain hence calming me. 

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out! 

Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • imageMrs.Reyna2008:
    Have you tried any natural remedies for induction? I think natural birth with induction is definitley possible but much much harder. Chances are if they induce they will require you to have other interventions as well that will require you to remain in bed, like an EFM, IV line, etc. This will prevent you from getting into other postitions than lying on your back. I would def. look into natural remedies for induction.

I was induced with cervadil (wasn't dilated at all), followed by pitocin, and had no other meds. I was right at 40 weeks, and was induced because of my own health issues (baby was fine, and I was too once she came out). I was hooked up to an IV, fetal monitor, and to a blood pressure monitor, but was able to get up and move around quite a bit, and spent a lot of time on a birthing ball. Once I'd been there awhile and everything looked good they let me take off the blood pressure cuff and just get checked once in a while. A couple hours after they started pitocin I'd dilated to a 3 or 4 and they broke my water; which made contractions really pick up - NOT fun but doable, and then I started progressing really fast, so knowing the end was in sight helped me through it. Just a few hours later she was born and it was SO NICE to be totally back to normal and free of all the hook ups and monitoring within moments of her birth - I was up and walking around right away.   You can do it!

imageimage
  • Never been induced but my friend was essentially induced and went epi free. Her water broke and contractions did not start, so they put her on pitocin. Talk to your Dr. about doing a low dose of pitocin and also once it's started and your body is in active labor, see if you can have them lower it or even turn it off. Research dosages. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I had an induction with my first and went pain med free.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was induced with pitocin, had back labor, and still went pain med free. I consider that a natural birth because I didn't use an epidural or other pain meds. It can be done and I am surprised that they let you go past 41 weeks. Most people I have heard of that are overdue are induced only go a few days past 40 weeks. Good luck to you.
  • I was induced last time and went mostly pain med free by which I mean I had a half cc of stadol to help me calm down.

My labor was insane though,  I went from telling DH it was time to give up and go home  to a baby on my belly in an hour.  My water broke(on its own) and I went from feeling nothing to being in transition immediately and it caused me to panic because it was so unexpected. I needed the stadol to help calm my panic because DH sucked at calming me down. lol   They took me off of pit once my water broke at 5pm and DS was born at 6:07.  

I will say that I don't think induction had anything to do with why my labor went so quickly, all of the women in my family have basically the same birth story.  lol  

• Thank you all for your stories, they're very reassuring. 

imagejo4janet:
    It can be done and I am surprised that they let you go past 41 weeks. Most people I have heard of that are overdue are induced only go a few days past 40 weeks. Good luck to you.

I guess I knew this baby would be late from the get go.  Part of the reason I picked my doctor is that he would let me go late if I wanted to. I chose to be this late, though now I'm wondering if it was a good choice :o)

• I did the Evening Primrose Oil as a vag suppository and my water broke the next morning.  Labor did not progress so I received two (out of four) doses of Cytotec.  It was enough to get things moving and I did have an epi free delivery. 

Talk about the induction options with your doctor.  We went with cytotec because it allowed me to be on the monitor for 20 minutes every three hours and not attached to an IV (hep lock). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cytotec works by ripening your cervix.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) mine is already really soft and mostly effaced, somewhat dilated but I'm not contracting.  So pitocin I will get.  Wish me luck - I have less than 12 hours until they start me up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"