Special Needs
Options

I hate not knowing what typical is

My oldest son did not develop typically  - blood disorder, severely delayed speech, fine motor delay, SPD, ADHD dx, PDD-NOS dx... My youngest seems typical? His speech developed much more typically. He has not received any services and is very social, BUT he has a wicked temper. I think it is just due to age and being the younger sib, but he has temper tantrums when things do not go his way, will hit or push his brother, etc... typical? Have any of you had a younger sib evaluated just because another sibling had issues?

He has another year of pre-k and I have never received anything but great reports. No one has expressed concerns, I just worry. Should I seek any kind of evaluation just to be sure?

Re: I hate not knowing what typical is

• Options
    All I can offer is a big hug and empathy because we are in a very similar situation. It is so hard not to over analyze every thing. DS1 received an ASD dx in Jan and DS2 was born in March. You are not alone in this, Im sending you a big hug.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have three boys, the older two are both on the spectrum.  I am driving myself crazy with wonder about the baby.  I analyze little thing he does with my autism glasses on.  So far (at 5 months old) he is reaching milestones at an appropriate pace, however we are having some concerns with eye contact.  It is hard not to see it every time it happens.  

Perhaps you could sit down with the autism diagnostic criteria  and look at each area and note if your son has any concerns in those areas.  That could give you some peace of mind or the push you need to have an evaluation.

Big hugs.  It sucks. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good idea. He has excellent eye contact. I've never really worried until recently. I'll find the M CHAT online and see.
  • Options
    No advice other than the MCHAT, but sympathy.  I have 2 on the spectrum.  Plus, I've decided boys are weird.  All boys.  We have quite a few typical friends and every time I'm worried about some behavior one I see one of my children do, I then see a typical child do it and I'm sort of WTF.  I saw a little boy lick the window at Little Gym yesterday.  My girlfriend's son was sort of yell/singing exactly like what I describe as a verbal stem with my younger.  I know it's sort of the whole picture, but it does make explaining "how we knew" a lot harder when everyone says, "yeah, my kid does that too."
  • Options
    He just wants things to go his way and throws a fit when they don't, but that is the only issue. He's verbal, social, not repetitive stuff , no lining things up, or the need for a strict schedule. He doesn't have sensory issues or problems with transitions. I think it's just me worrying! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"