Food Allergy

First child has MSPI, how to approach LO 2

C/p, sorry for odd format Long, long question, but feed back would be greatly appreciated. initially had planned to EBF DD, and did for ~ 6 wks. At this time she was not back up to birth weight, had rashes, screamed nonstop, and had bloody stool. We switched to formula at that point. By 2.5 months she was hospitalized for weight loss and diagnosed as FTT. After trying several formulas per pedi's orders, it was determined she has severe MSPI. She is on Neocate and will be transitioning to Neocate JR next month, because she has failed all of her challenge tests.

I'm at a loss as to what I should plan on feeding the girls. My research shows that there is a 70% they will be MSPI as well. I do not want to go through all of that again for both their sake and mine. I'm also afraid that feeding complications will lead to prolonged hospital stays for them. Because of some of my health concerns my MFM plans to deliver before 37 weeks, so I don't want to add any extra stress to them.
 I've asked the pedi, and the pedi GI for their advice. Pedi said start with BM, GI said start with a normal formula. I plan to ask a neonatologist as well. As of now, I'm honestly torn what to do for their first feed, and would like to have a plan.Honestly, I'm not hell bent on EBF, or even BF at all for that matter. Im also not thrilled over elimanting soy and milk from my diet to BF.After all we dealt with last time, I realize formula is just fine with me.Given your experience, what would you suggest?

Re: First child has MSPI, how to approach LO 2

• i haven't had a second child yet but i think i will cut out dairy/soy about a month before i deliver my next just to be on the safe side. 

however, being that you are having twins, if i were you, honestly, i would probably just start them on neocate being that the diet is so time consuming & restricting i don't think i'd be able to take care of twins, another child & have time to eat/plan meals. 

i think i would want to start them on neocate, so as to not go through all of that again & maybe after a month or so, try some regular formula & see what happens?  

• If it were me and I was considering BFing then I would do like PP mentioned and eliminate dairy/soy about a month before delivery.  If you are not interested in that and you really would prefer to formula feed (and that seems easier knowing you will have newborn twins and a 1yr old) then I would start on regular formula.  one could have MSPI and one may not.  One may only react to dairy and one may react to both dairy and soy.  Neocate is expensive stuff that insurance certainly wouldn't pay for if there is no documented intolerance for them (but my insurance doesn't cover it anyway so I don't know about yours).  Then you can try soy formula if necessary and then alimentum/nutramigen and finally neocate if needed.  I understand your history and concern, but what you experienced is not the "norm."  Even with intolerance most babies will not have FTT and this time you know what to look for.  If your kids aren't gaining weight, or are spitting up a ton, or have bloody stools etc then you know you need to change.  That is just my opinion...but do what you think is best for your kiddos.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS1 had a myriad of serious food allergies--including all dairy--- and I BF'd him for 19 months--- 12 of them not realizing how bad it was.   Ugh. 

Anyways--- so for DS2 I started bfing in the hospital and I knew right away that he was allergic.  I even asked the nurse and they said "no--those rashes are normal"...but my gut said otherwise.  Well, around 2 wks old we had his poop tested at the pedi's office and sure enough--they said it tested at about the highest it could be.  So I made the hardest decision ever to stop BFing (I actually kept pumping just in case the formula didn't help though-and kept doing that until about 6-8 wks).

We did Alimentum.  He did awesome on it.

He's developmentally great (unlike DS1 who has delays) and actually seems to have outgrown the allergy or at least not showing serious signs.  We are now giving small amounts of cow's milk.  I can't believe it!  I think still having the smallest amount of protein in the formula does help.

So that's my experience.  You have to do what you really want.  Remember, life with 2 is tough....I can't imagine life with 3.....2 being twins.   Make it as easy on you as possible.  If you want to change your diet, go ahead--but I knew that life was going to be crazy enough for me with a special needs DS1, so this was for us....and it's been great.  And wow--formula is so much easier!!!  LOL.  Glad I didn't know that when I BF'd.  LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"