3rd Trimester
Options

Selfish induction after due date?

Has anybody talked to their doctor about getting induced after their due date but before 41 weeks? My doctor told me it's up to me when to induce and I told her I didnt want to do it too early so she set me up for an NST and ultrasound yesterday and we set up a doc appointment for next week. LO is looked fine yesterday and she's measuring about 8 lbs. But my selfishness wants her out this week because everyday next week is a birthday, anniversary, or holiday. So my question is, has anyone talked to their doctor and gotten a positive response about selfishly inducing before 41 weeks?

BEAN *06/29/2012*

Re: Selfish induction after due date?

• Options
    If your doctor will do it, go for it. Induction after 40 weeks isn't selfish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm thinking it's totally fine. You're after your EDD, so go for it!

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Who put it in your head that induction is "selfish"?  IRL, everyone I know seems to be induced at 39+ weeks.  If you've got progress going on, I'd go for it.  If you're not progressing, I'd talk to your doctor a bit more and make a decision from there.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    If your doctor will do it, go for it. Induction after 40 weeks isn't selfish.

Exactly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My personal opinion on your personal situation depends on whether you are actually a good candidate for induction. If you haven't started progressing at all and you have no other medical reasons to induce, I personally would wait it out. 

Inducing without favorable signs (effacement, dilation, etc.) doesn't set you up for a great outcome. Sure, everything could be totally fine, but you could also end up with an avoidable c-section.

Talk to your doc. There are scores for induction that would tell you if it's worth trying sooner rather than later. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You've done your time :) As long as your DR is OK with it go for it!
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • Options
    My induction with DD1 was awful and took 3 days.  I would personally be selfish and not induce, unless I had a really high Bishop score.  Even then, though, I'd be likely to wait it out, despite holidays and such.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My answer may be different if I was 40 weeks, but at only 35 right now I can say that I wouldn't want to be induced just to avoid the baby being born on someone's birthday or the holiday.  Your body has natural things that it does to prepare for labor and you should let it do those things if you can, if it's not harming you or the baby to wait.  I would like to avoid being induced if at all possible.  The labor can be so much worse and you can end up having a c-section if the induction is going slow and they're impatient with your progress.  If it's not medically necessary and it's just to pick a date that you want, I wouldn't do it.  Again though, maybe I wouldn't be saying this if I was already 40 weeks!
  • Options

As long as your spouse, you, or your doctor don't have a problem with it, go for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If your selfish I am selfish. I am going for my weekly appointment tomorrow and only have 8 days to go... I will be asking if I can be induced if he goes past his due date just for the fact of not wanting to be pregnant for an additional 2 weeks lol So no, I wouldnt say you are being selfish! Good luck Big Smile
  • Options
    While I think it's a personal decision, I don't think it's necessarily a selfish one if you are a good candidate for induction.  I was 39w yesterday, and my Dr. expects me to deliver in the next few days-- and I am really hoping this will happen-- but we scheduled an induction for next Thursday, when I will be 40w 2d, just in case.  
    "Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
  • Options

Just keep in mind that induction can take a couple of hours, or a couple of days - so try not to get too set on a specific day. They have a mind of their own at this point :) Ultimately, she'll still come when she's good and ready. Good luck!! 

And as a side note - I was always jealous of kids with 4 of July bdays. Who wouldn't want fireworks to celebrate their birth every year? ;)   

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    I had elective inductions with both daughters one at 40.2 and one at 39.4. Doctor has already said he will induce at 39 weeks if I want. Go for it if doc and hubby agree. 
  • Options
    imagemrs.kapow:

My personal opinion on your personal situation depends on whether you are actually a good candidate for induction. If you haven't started progressing at all and you have no other medical reasons to induce, I personally would wait it out. 

Inducing without favorable signs (effacement, dilation, etc.) doesn't set you up for a great outcome. Sure, everything could be totally fine, but you could also end up with an avoidable c-section.

Talk to your doc. There are scores for induction that would tell you if it's worth trying sooner rather than later. 

This! And just to add to it, inductions are hard on you and your labor support team. I got induced with DD at 41w2d because of pre-eclampsia issues. I wasn't effaced or dilated at all, but after 2 cytotek treatments and 20 hours on pitocin, I was able to vaginally deliver my daughter. I hadn't slept for over 48 hours and DH hadn't slept for probably 38 hours. This took a toll on both of us. I was so exhausted and then I had to take care of a little baby.  My milk took forever to come in - the lactation consultant thought it was partially because I wasn't rested - but now I had a crying baby that I was trying to nurse every 2-3 hours. 

So also consider the toll an induction may have on you and DH.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i'd pick 6-30-12 ! easy to read/write/remember! (not for you,, but for their whole life!) 

• Options
    In my opinion, avoiding others' birthdays/anniversaries is a silly reason to induce. My OB told me nothing positive happens in pregnancy (no further lung development, etc) after 41 weeks, but you have until 42 before conditions can start to get dangerous. So I would wait until 41 weeks personally.
    image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Selfish isn't the right word, but, personally, I would just wait it out. Inductions can lead to unexpected things like a harder, longer labor or even a c-section. A harder labor may mean that you won't be up to enjoying all that is happening next week. If for some reason your dur date was wrong, baby might benefit from the extra couple of days to develop. In all honesty, even with an easy vaginal birth you likely won't be up for big celebrations nect week. I think the best way to participate in those things would actually to still have baby in. I don't think that induction is going to solve anything you've mentioned, and could actually hamper things even more.
  • Options

imagemlf625:
    If you've got progress going on, I'd go for it.  If you're not progressing, I'd talk to your doctor a bit more and make a decision from there.

This.  GL mama! 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    imagemrs.kapow:

Definitely this! Labor is long and hard without adding induction under unfavorable circumstances to the mix! Those few extra days might wind up being the few extra days you aren't in extended exhausting labor. 

• Options
    imagemhanson18:

I'm thinking it's totally fine. You're after your EDD, so go for it!

This. Talk to your doc to see what he thinks, but the baby's cooked. I don't think it makes much of a difference now.

• Options

Go for it! You're past your EDD so as long as Doc approves it I say go for it. I know my hospital's rule is past 39 weeks they'll do it.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemrs.kapow:

I was only dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced on Monday. I guess if the doctor doesn't feel like I'm a good candidate, then she'll just say no. No harm in asking. Thanks for all the input ladies!

BEAN *06/29/2012*

• Options
    Having had one induction where I begged for an epidural and another birth where I gave birth naturally --- I would avoid an induction as long as it is safe. Induction was HELL for me. I hate pitocin!

• Options
    If you are inducing because you have a busy schedule next week how are you hoping to celebrate any of these birthdays or anniversaries with a fresh little newborn while recovering from birthing?
    Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • Options

imageInfinityDreamer:
    If you are inducing because you have a busy schedule next week how are you hoping to celebrate any of these birthdays or anniversaries with a fresh little newborn while recovering from birthing?

It's not the fact that I'll be out and about celebrating these things. It's that I want LO to have her own special day, more so. Among other reasons like her father is 2.5 hrs away working a lot and it would be nice for him to for sure be there for her birth instead of maybe missing my call at work and having to rush to the hospital if I go into labor.

BEAN *06/29/2012*

• Options
    imagefilxoxo:
    imagemrs.kapow:

I was only dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced on Monday. I guess if the doctor doesn't feel like I'm a good candidate, then she'll just say no. No harm in asking. Thanks for all the input ladies!

Exactly. You and your doc get to make the decision and it's all dependent on your body.  Good luck! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I decided that I will be induced 2 days after my due date if I don't go before that because of maternity leave related reasons. My doc lets women choose when they want to be induced. As long as you and your doc have discussed pros/cons and you're comfortable with it I don't think it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    If you, you're doctor and dh are ready go for it. I've been induced for two of my children and didn't have a bad labor because of it. They were both fairly short labor's, 12 hr's for my oldest and 7 for my youngest. So it can be different for everyone. I wish you a speedy and easy labor.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"