Pregnant after a Loss

What if I'm sick when baby comes?

I've had a sore throat for two days now. ?Luckily it doesn't seem to be progressing to anything, but it doesn't seem to be going away either. ?:-( ?How do I avoid giving it to my baby when he comes out with his little baby immune system? ?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What if I'm sick when baby comes?

• I'm sure someone else will have a better answer, but my mom was sick with a cold when she had my little sister and everything was fine.  Of course, she wasn't feeling her best during the recovery, but the doctor's weren't worried about her spreading it to my sister. I hope you start feeling better soon and early congrats on your delivery!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Angel Baby: 5/29/08

• All right, so I may be making this up but don't you pass antibodies to your baby, so he will have some defense against your cold?
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejnealet:
    All right, so I may be making this up but don't you pass antibodies to your baby, so he will have some defense against your cold?

That's what DH said, but I'm not sure. ?I don't think they get it from your blood. ?They probably do get antibodies through breast milk, but I'm sure they don't get your full range of antibodies because they still need all their shots and stuff, and they are definitely immune-compromised for the first few months especially. ?I'm not sure how that works.?

• not positive, but i know that several of the girls from here were sick when they delivered and it had no ill effect (pun intended) on the baby.  i think the biggest concern is you getting enough rest.
  • Collestrum (sp?) is really good for immune defense too - so can you make sure you nurse right away? 

Talk to your doctor - I'm sure women deliver with colds or worse all the time.

• OMG, DrG!  I've been wondering about you!  Good luck!
  • I was scared to death of this for 10 days  (between 35.5-37wks) where I was having a lot of PTL signs (major ctx, etc) during a bad bout of the worst cold ever. My OB was worried and put me on antibiotics, which seemed to do the trick. I never got a straight answer about how my sickness could affect my kid - but she did agree that going through labor and caring for a newborn while feeling crappy would not be good.

I know its bad to take antibiotics when its not necessary, but in this case, maybe it would be good to make an exception and just take a z-pac to be safe??

• The day I had DD I came down with a sore throat which quickly turned into a cold. I was so concerned about passing it to her but the doctors told me that since I was BF that she was getting lots of antibodies in my collestrum sp?. The doctors also said that she would have a better chance at getting my cold if I didn't BF. Luckly DD was fine. After we came home from the hospital DH came down with the cold and DD was still fine. Thank God for antibodies. HTH and GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"