Pregnant after 35

XP/Feb 2013 Board: A tad Worried...UPDATE**

So, I had my first U/S at 6 weeks 2/3 days and the heart rate was 104.  The tech said it was great but I felt like that was low.  My husband did some research that day and said from everything he read it was normal.

Well, today I went for an OB visit and the nurse said it was low and normal is 120-160 at that time.  She also said some other stuff that made me think she isn't that on the ball.  I never got to talk to the OB.

Anyway, I am going in for another U/S on Thursday morning and I am nervous.  I have certainly had tons of symptoms but now I'm afraid it's all in my head and something is wrong:(

Pep talk please....

****Just got back from my U/S and baby is measuring right on track with a HB of 177!!!!!  YAY!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP/Feb 2013 Board: A tad Worried...UPDATE**

• I think your nurse was not giving you a fair shake if she made that comment about the HR and then didn't expand on it. 90-110 is what the literature says is normal at 6 weeks. I've also seen it as 103-126. Either way, you're still in the normal range, even if it's on the lower side but seriously? Maybe the baby was chilling out during the U/S. Maybe the HR would go higher if you ate some spicy food. It's still normal.

One U/S in the normal range doesn't seem like anything to get alarmed about. 

To help give some perspective, normal HR for an adult is 60-100. I have patients who live quite happily in the 50s. They are quite healthy. Athletes, too, have lower HRs. 

I'm sure your baby is just fine. And the U/S on Thursday morning will confirm it, right? Right!

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

•  

My first U/S at 6 weeks, the HR was 110, which the doctor said was fine for so early in the pregnancy.

Had a 2nd U/S a week later to check/confirm dates and HR was 151.

So, I wouldn't worry! Easier said than done, though, right? :-)

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekat1221:

So, I had my first U/S at 6 weeks 2/3 days and the heart rate was 104.  The tech said it was great but I felt like that was low.  My husband did some research that day and said from everything he read it was normal.

Well, today I went for an OB visit and the nurse said it was low and normal is 120-160 at that time.  She also said some other stuff that made me think she isn't that on the ball.  I never got to talk to the OB.

Anyway, I am going in for another U/S on Thursday morning and I am nervous.  I have certainly had tons of symptoms but now I'm afraid it's all in my head and something is wrong:(

Pep talk please....

This is exactly why my doc won't do even a dating u/s until 7w because the heart usually just starts beating sometime during the 6th week.  A matter of a few hours difference between when your u/s is done can mean the difference between no hb being seen or slower hb or a faster hb.  By 7w the hb should be firmly established and strong.  There is still a wide range as to what a strong hb is at that stage.  At my dating scan (7w3d) this peanuts hb was 178 which is above the average of 130-160.  Baby is perfectly fine.

I would talk to your OB and tell them what their nurse said.  I don't think she knows what she is talking about and she shouldn't be giving expectant moms more stress, particularly moms with a loss history.

Anyway, good vibes sent your way.  Have fun watching your peanut show off today!

• Thanks ladies!  This is very helpful!
  • My OB's office wouldn't even SEE me until 8 weeks for this exact reason, which annoyed the heck out of me since I've had two m/c's. I totally understand your worry, but I see that your ticker puts you past 8 weeks now, they should be able to tell you for sure if things look good... and the fact that you are having symptoms is a very good sign.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"