Multiples

C-Section Deliveries...Come in!

I have a c-section planned for 38 1/2 weeks due to a myriad of factors.  I am nervous and I was wondering, how was your experience?  What surprised you the most?  What was the scariest part?

Re: C-Section Deliveries...Come in!

• The thought of someone sticking a needle in my back to numb me and then cutting me open (sorry to be blaunt) scared the crap out of me. However the day of the c-section I was calm. To me by then all I wanted was for the babies to be here and be safe. I truly didn't care how they came and when all said and done I would opt for a c-section again. (I've never had a vaginal delivery so I can't personally compare but friends have said you are never normal down there again! I'll take a couple of weeks of soreness in the incision and being normal "down there") That said, I would make sure you get up and walk. Walk as soon as you can and walk often. It took me forever to have the stregth to make it down the hall! Also, stay on top of the pain meds. Remind the nurses yourself if needed. You get behind on those  you will be sorry! If you have stairs in your house I highly reccomend you set up shop on one level of your house and do not leave that level for at least a week after you come home. Yes it would suck but the alternative is being on pain meds for 3 1/2 weeks (yes, I over did it!) Other than that it was a surprisingly smooth surgery and I had no complications! Good luck, I hope you make it to your goal of 38 1/2 weeks!
  • Get moving as soon as you are allowed.  I felt much better once I was able to get up.  My spinal and c-section was great.  I had no complications.  What surprised me most was how much I bled afterwards - 10 weeks off and on.  However, there were times I did too much and if I had a do-over, would have accepted more help from family.  The scariest part for me was the anticipation of my delivery at 35 weeks.  I was nervous about NICU time.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • It was strange to me, because my first was a vaginal (and I am still normal "down there", lol). With a scheduled c it meant never going into labor, so the prep and stuff was strange. With my first, by the time I got my epidural the needle was nothing compared to the contractions, so no problem. This time, the spinal was definitely more intimidating. Also, being in an OR feels different than being in a labor room.

The sensations during the surgery are strange, but there wasn't a lot of pain involved during the procedure. It was very uncomfortable and I felt like I was going to throw up. Mine was complicated because of my severe anemia and blood loss - make sure you take your iron and have your levels checked!

The pain was pretty bad the first day, but got easier each day after. Like pp said, stay on top of the meds and you should be alright. Get up and walk. Really, for me, having the babies there trumped any kind of pain I was having, with both deliveries. Best of luck!
  • I don't know if you've discovered the forum on www.twinstuff.com, but it is also a great site (yes, I'm a message board two-timer. ;)) If you go to Twinstuff Forums, look for the "For Parents" section and then the "Expecting Twins" board within that. Under "Important Topics" on that board there is a sticky called "C-section: Things I Wish I Knew" with over 50 posts of people sharing their C-section experiences with twins. Might be helpful! :) I read through it myself just in case and it was really enlightening.

All the best! :)

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • you can read my birth story in my bio. it didn't really worry me ahead of time at all. it was fine. the worst part was by far the spinal, but that was over relatively quickly.

good luck! :)

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I had a schedule C-section and but went into labor 4 days before. This was my second c-section and I have to say that it was easier then the first. I agree with previous post get moving as soon as you can. The thing that scared me the most this time was waiting in the operating room while they got everything ready. I was laying on the bed waiting to get numb and they were counting all the instruments and getting the baby warmers ready. It was really strange to be in there by myself just laying on a table. But it is fast and the recovery is what you make of it. I have known people who take to their beds for weeks afterwards and then others like myself who just get up and move. Good luck
    Jenny
  • The scariest part for me was the shaking.  They had told me that I would start shaking and probably continue for about an hour and a half (thank GOD they told me this was normal) - even though I knew, I wasn't prepared for it.  It was scary.  Non stop full body shaking (although I could only feel my upper body/arms) for about 2.5 hours, a reaction to the spinal I think.  What surprised me most was how teeny tiny the incision is - its about 2.5 inches, really low down - no idea how they took a 6 and 7 pound baby out of it!!
  • I was scared of the epidural more than anything else.  The entire surgery was a breeze.  The epidural wasn't bad at all and the surgery was fine.  I was def. scared for no reason, everything wasn't as bad as everyone tells you.  I had a great experience.  I was def. sore afterwards but nothing that was unbearable.  Good luck.

Kerri

• Thank you all for your responses!  I feel so much better.  I think the worst part is the anticipation.
  • I'd already had a spinal, catheter and IVs before (cerclage and multiple hospital stays) so I was only worried about feeling them cut me. I had a great experience and was up walking to the NICU hours after. I drove 5 days after, and was able to go to stores after 7/8 days. My incision looks great and I feel 100%.
  • I don't know if anyone else experienced this, I was never told about it, and have never heard anyone else mention it. I had the sharpest shooting pain in my shoulders during and after the c section. They said it was pain caused from gases from the surgery. It was unbearable. It went away shortly after surgery. But was so strange and something I did not expect.

Also, being numb was such a weird sensation because you weren't actually "numb" you could feel pressure and them moving things around inside of you, you could feel the sensation of the baby being removed and the pressure. Someone brushed up against my foot during surgery and it felt like when your legs goes numb and you get that pins and needles feeling. It made me jump!

• I had a great experience with my c-section.  I told my OB that I wanted one even before I found out I was having twins.  I'm just not into the whole "natural birth" or breast feeding stuff, just a personal choice.  Anyway, my OB is also a Cosmetic Surgeon so he sewed my muscle back together which he said would help with the healing.  The same day I left the hospital, I was at the grocery store.  You should ask your OB about sewing your muscle back & see if he/she thinks it would help.  Just a thought.
  • My experience was great. I loved my OB and wasn't scared of the surgery My OB was kidding around, Hubs was in the room holding my hand, the anesthia people were laughing with me, it was an all around good time. I did throw up twice though. I asked if we could play "rump shaker" on a radio bc the girls liked old school rap. Stick out tongue

I was more scared that the babies were coming out and then I'd have to be a mom :-P I think the only thing that surprised me was the pain in my shoulders. Holy shit... they say you get gas pains up and down your back after the spinal and I surely did. And it didn't go away for me for a while. Like I said, I wasn't scared. I loved my OB and would let him operate on me in his sleep.

no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagejd0614:
    The scariest part for me was the shaking.  They had told me that I would start shaking and probably continue for about an hour and a half (thank GOD they told me this was normal) - even though I knew, I wasn't prepared for it.  It was scary.  Non stop full body shaking (although I could only feel my upper body/arms) for about 2.5 hours, a reaction to the spinal I think.  What surprised me most was how teeny tiny the incision is - its about 2.5 inches, really low down - no idea how they took a 6 and 7 pound baby out of it!!

Ditto the shaking!  But no one told me about it, so that part was pretty scary.  My c-section wasn't planned (stalled out after 22 hours of labor) but I have to say, it went very, very well and I fully admit to being scared about having surgery through the whole pregnancy.

Things to ask your dr about: 

-Does he cut your abs or pull them aside?  The only thing I felt was the midwife and the OB putting their full weight into pulling my abs aside to get to my uterus.  A little sore the next few days but hey, no cut muscles! 

-How will you be stitched up?  I had all internal stitching with the exception of two.  Everything was done internally and the outside was done with surgical glue.  I have a very faint, red mark about 4 inches long or less.  Sections of it have already faded to nothing.  It looks more like a scratch.

I bounced back very fast, driving and doing steps (only way into my house anyway) the day we got home.  Best advice is to keep up on your pain meds, chasing pain is not fun, and to remember that you are on pain meds.  You might feel just fine, but most likely will hurt later if you over do it.  THis can mainly happen getting up for those late night feedings : )

I didn't have the shoulder pains some other posters mentioned and didn't have any trouble with the epidural.  That was done during labor, and they ramped it up for surgery.  I've had spinal anesthesia before and this experience was MUCH better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"