March 2012 Moms

Crazy crying fits

My son will be three months this week and just in the past couple days has been waking up suddenly and screaming uncontrollably. We are unable to console him when he is having one of these episodes. They usually occur in the late afternoon and evening. The only thing that seems to help is swaddling him and cuddling him. He will fall back asleep but then wakes up again doing the same thing shortly after. Could he be having nightmares, starting teething???

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? It's so hard to see him so upset.

Re: Crazy crying fits

• Could he be working on a poop?  Sometimes DD is fussy if one's coming, but never screaming fits. Sorry I don't have any better ideas. Hope it stops as suddenly as it started. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ds1247ds1247 member
    Emma was doing something similiar to this last week.  We decided hers was because she needed to pass gas or go poop.  We started rubbing/massaging her belly after bottles and also started laying her on her back and moving her legs up to her chest to help ease the process.  She does fine earlier in the day, but it was a problem later in the day.  We also would give her gas drops or gripe water at night if she didn't go the bathroom before bed.  We also swaddle her every night and this helps.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Our DS does this around the same time, when he does, I assume its either teething pain or poppy/gas.

The ONLY thing that will console him is COLD breast milk or a bath.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Clara was never colicky as a newborn, but she's been super grumpy in the afternoons lately.  She's overtired but will not nap (but sleeps fine at night and naps great earlier in the day).  I've heard a lot about sleep regressions right around 4 months, and other moms who have older babies than mine had issues like this too.  I guess maybe not all sleep regression/wakeful periods happen at night.

It does seem like I commonly hear complaints of cranky babies right around this age, so maybe it's just a thing?

image  image  image

• kel716kel716 member

I've read that crying late in the day is a way for babies to relieve tension...  they're tired. 

I also think a lot of it is because they are starting to become more aware of what's what, and crying is a way for them to communicate.  We're dealing with it too, and a part of me thinks it's because she is bored and looking for other things to do- just eating and sleeping isn't enough anymore. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"