Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Size of bed?

Hi ladies, our ds is almost 4 yrs and is 37lbs/ 42". Currently he is sleeping in a bed with his crib mattress, but we are planning to get him a new bed this weekend. Should we be stepping up to a bigger size now? What size bed does your LO lay their head at night?

do you have any great ideas for where to look? We have an ikea so that is an option though we haven't found that to be the best quality and prefer something that will last a bit (and stand up to the considerable abuse he will no doubt dole out.). We know he would love a car Or trruck bed but are wondering how long something like that lasts, at what age a they going to want to switch it up again. Thank you for the advice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Size of bed?

• Options

Our daughter has a full size bed.  She's 2 1/2 now, but we moved her into it around 19 months.  She is about 30 lbs and tall...probably 40 inches now. 

She had a convertible crib, so we're using that.  We bought her mattress at a mattress shop.  I think Ikea has some nice basic beds.  You could also try a local furniture store or somewhere like a JCPenney's. 

• Options

My kiddos went from cribs to single/twin beds.  I simply didn't want the hassle of an additional bed change.  

We got both of my kids a captain's bunk style bed.  Honestly, we just got them from Wal-Mart.  The bed has 3 drawers under it and a bookshelf at the head.  It's not the nicest quality furniture, but it's completely adequate for a child.  The bookshelf is a real plus when you reach school age because it can easily hold a lamp, alarm clock, and -- of course -- books. 

DD has had her bed for almost 8 years and it's as good as new. DS has had his for 4. We only paid about $120 for these bed frames, then had to buy a mattress (but no box spring because the mattress just sits on a wooden platform!)

However, I do not allow them to jump on the beds which cuts down on a lot of the wear and tear.  DS is a little harder on his bed -- he'll flop around on it, stand on his head on it, etc.  Pretty much everything short of actually using it as a trampoline.  His bed is still like new.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At almost 4 get a twin bed.  A toddler bed would be too small.  We went to a local furniture store and got a display bed for a good price.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My almost 7 year old is in a queen beed.  She moved to this bed between 4-4.5 yrs when our youngest was born and we needed the 3-1 crib/toddler bed back into the crib.  It used to be my bed in college.

My almost 5 year old (37.5 lbs) just moved to a twin from a toddler bed/3-1 crib.  

My 2.5 year old is in the twin that bunks with his brothers bed.   He did a toddler bed for only a few months.  He never liked the toddler bed (and never slept in it) but has slept in his twin a few times.   These beds were given to us & are in great shape! 

Yay, we just got rid of cribs!!! But I can't decided if I want to save them for later and used them as fulls one day...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS has a twin bed.  He switched right into that from his crib.  It's one that my FIL made for DH.

We DO have an IKEA bed in our master bedroom and it has withstood the test of time.  We've found that just like in other furniture places, if you step up a level or two from the cheapest stuff, you can get some decent quality furniture.  We have the MALM queen sized bed.  Our kitchen table is also from IKEA and it's solid oak.

• Options

Both our kids went from co-bedding to a queen sized bed - DD at 2y, DS at 11 months (I still sleep with him, but have started weaning him off co-bedding, so he sleeps most of the night without me).  Even if we didn't co-bed, I would have probably moved straight to a queen sized bed - it makes reading stories so much easier, and it also can double as a guest bed when we have people over.  Plus, we never have to worry about up-sizing for our kids, and DD feels safer (rolling off isn't very likely).

We just refurbished an old headboard that we found for DD- it was actually my dad's when he was in his 20's, and has been in a barn for 20-some years.  DS doesn't really have a headboard or anything right now, and we aren't looking, so I have no clue a good place to find one.   

• Options
    Definitely go for a twin bed (or full-size, if you need it as a guest bed, too).  We switched DS to a twin from his converted crib when he was 3.  I liked to lay with him to read stories and stuff and the toddler size was just too small.  I would definitely skip getting a car bed because he'll outgrow that idea in a few years or so.  Not to mention that they seem like they take up a lot more room and we're definitely short on space here.
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• Options
    Both kids have been in twin beds since they were around 18 months old. I just didn't see the need for a bed bigger than that.
  • Options
    DS is in a full bed. My parents gave it to us, so I didn't put much thought into what the best size should be. It's worked great for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"