High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone have BIG babies due to Gest Diabetes?

So... I have gestational diabetes, was diagnosed around 27 weeks.. it is being controlled by Metform 500mg 2x daily.

We had an ultrasound yesterday (35wks1day) and he is measuring approx 7lbs15oz, 90% growth. They say obviously the gestational diabetes is a factor, however my husband was 10lbs5oz so genetics is also a factor.

Anyone have any experience? I figure they will do another scan at 37 weeks and go from there. Will they induce if he is getting too big?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!! :)

Re: Anyone have BIG babies due to Gest Diabetes?

• Options

I didn't have a big baby due to GD, but I did have one of the biggest babies I've ever seen anyone post about on The Bump (and I've been around for 3 years).  My 11lb, 10oz-er was born at 38w, 5d via c-section.  I would strongly, STRONGLY (and I can't say this enough) advise you to not consider an induction prior to 39 weeks, especially with a boy.  Your due date is plus or minus 2 weeks and inducing at 37 weeks could mean bringing a 35 weeker into the world before he's ready.  Boys tend to do worse than girls, especially white boys.  My 35 weeker spent 2 weeks in the NICU.

I know it's easy to think 37 weeks = full term, but honestly, baby is only considered full term at 37 weeks if he COMES ON HIS OWN.  Another thing I can't impress upon you enough....big baby does not always equal ready baby.  My 35 weeker was almost 7 pounds when he was born and again, spent 2 weeks in the NICU.  You don't want that, especially if it can be prevented.  

If he gets to be too big, they may offer you an elective c-section.  I'd go that route before I considered an induction prior to 39 weeks.  Just my feeling, though, after having a late-term preemie.  Good luck with whatever you decide!   

Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
  • Options

My girls were small, but had they been measuring large I would have fought any doctor who recommended induction before 39 weeks, for exactly the reasons MSUMama said. I'd rather wait until closer to my due date and then have whatever type of birth is necessary at that point.

I was induced at 39 weeks with both of my girls because I was insulin-dependent GD. They were both healthy with none of the issues common to GD babies.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have type 1, not GD. I think diabetes AND genetics factor in to it. Both of my kids were big at birth (see below) but DS is still large for his age, whereas DD is teeny tiny now.

DD: 8 lbs 8 oz at 36w5d

DS: 9 lbs 2 oz at 36w0d

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I just grow them big.  DS1 was a preemie, didn't have GD and he was 6lbs.  DS2 I had GD and he was almost 9.5lbs.  FWIW, DS2 was here in about 1.5 hours from start to finish.  DH said it was maybe 20 min of pushing.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Also, those ultrasounds aren't entirely accurate, so it can be hard to make a decision based on those.  I had GD and had an ultrasound at 39 weeks which showed the baby was measuring at 8.5lbs.  They were concerned that if I went past my due date the baby would be too big (along with the concerns about the placenta, etc.) - so they wanted to induce at 40 weeks.  We ended up giving birth at almost 42 weeks and the baby was only 7lbs 3 oz.  I felt like if we had given in to the induction, she would have been so tiny and maybe had some complications as a result.  That's just my experience, I don't know how accurate those scans have been for others.  My sister also had GD and gave birth to a 9.10 lb baby naturally (VBAC).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"