Baby Showers
Options

coed bbq shower app. number of guests?

My MIL is hosting our shower and since DH wanted to be included, she decided on a coed bbq for it. She asked us to start a guest list so she can order tables and plan food but since its not a typical shower that I've ever been to (only woman, games, ect) we're not sure what a good number to invite is. If it was just a bbq we'd make it a bash and invite everyone but since its our shower, I don't want people to get the wrong idea (less bbq, more gift charity) if we invite too many guests.

How many do you think is appropriate? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: coed bbq shower app. number of guests?

• Options
    I would just count up your closest friends and family and use that number. (Closest meaning those you hang out with on a regular basis and who of course wouldn't think twice about being invited to your baby shower.) We have a smaller group of family and friends, so if my husband and I were having a co-ed BBQ we'd probably invite about 20-30, but you might have a few more. For any party, I think it's better to start by making a list of the people that really should be there than to start with a number and try to fill that quota, you know?
  • Options

imagejociejones:
    I would just count up your closest friends and family and use that number. (Closest meaning those you hang out with on a regular basis and who of course wouldn't think twice about being invited to your baby shower.) We have a smaller group of family and friends, so if my husband and I were having a co-ed BBQ we'd probably invite about 20-30, but you might have a few more. For any party, I think it's better to start by making a list of the people that really should be there than to start with a number and try to fill that quota, you know?

This. And also, check to see how many people your hostess is comfortable. If you have 50 close friends and family,  but she's only prepared to host 30, go worth that smaller number.  

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just off the top of our head we have about 40 thats close friends and family not including aunts and cousins that will be offended if they dont get invited and his mom is perfectly fine with 40 or more. I think I'm just overly concerned with coming off like a charity case even though the theme of the shower allows for more people
  • Options

I'd say it depends on how many people would want to share the event with you.  If many of your friends are couples, that will drive the number up.  Mostly though, speak with your MIL and see what would work for her.  I agree with others that 30-50 invited (knowing not all will attend) isn't unreasonable.

BTW, I think it is a cute idea.  You can even come up with some fun couples/co-ed games, like a relay race.  Get some dolls (goodwill, friends, even stuffed animals) and set up a relay where the team has to undress the baby, change a diaper and dress the baby again.  I would love seeing some of the guys I know attempting to change a diaper quickly.

image BFP #3 02/14/2012 - EDD 10/20/2012 Started prometrium right away, hoping this one sticks Beta #1 (02/15) 37. Torrey born 10/21/2012 w 6lb 14oz, 19.5" long Beta #2 (02/17) 87 Doubling time 38.91 Beta #3 (02/22) 495 Doubling time 47.84 Beta #4 (02/28) 8108 Doubling time 35.70 ~grow baby grow~ Updated EDD 10/26 BFP #2 01/10/2012 - EDD 09/18/2012, Chemical Pregnancy ended 01/13/2012 BFP #1 12/03/2011 - EDD 08/06/2012, Natural M/C 12/13/2011
  • Options
    If your MIL is okay with hosting the amount, no matter the size, don't worry about the "gift charity" aspect. If you are inviting your close family and friends and they are indeed close they will not think you are a charity case...they will come to have fun and shower their friends with gifts for their little one. Most people don't automatically go to a negative place, they simply want to celebrate...I'm sure your friends and family are the same way.
  • Options

We will be having a co-ed BBQ with mainly family, and the total number of guests invited is 67. But, he has a very big family, so that accounts for over half of them.  Plus, we know not everyone will attend, so it will probably be more like 40-50.

http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"