Baby Showers
Options

Shower at a restaurant question.

My MIL is throwing me my shower; she is such a wonderful woman. We were going to have it at our home because she is currently having all of her floors pulled up and redone through the whole house (Spanish tile instead of carpet).  I thought it would be tacky to have it at my house but didn?t want to say anything to her because I didn?t want to be rude or hurt her feelings. She called me earlier today told me she read in an etiquette book that it would be tacky to have it at my house. So we decided to have it at a restaurant so here is my question, when you have it at a restaurant do you just order a ton of appetizers (what my mother in law would like to do) or do we buy everyone lunch (which is what I thought we should do).  I know some ladies here have had showers at restaurants or been to one so your suggestions of what would be correct would be great.

Thanks
J

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Shower at a restaurant question.

• Options
    Really either way is fine.  Some restaurants will let you create a limited menu that the guests can choose from, or if she's thinking of setting up like an appetizer type buffet, that would work great too.  It doesn't have to be a full meal right off the menu.  As long as something is provided, appetizers and cake or a specific limited menu, you'll be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kjskjskjskjs member
    I think it would all come down to what time of day you have the shower. If it is near a normal meal then I would assume you should buy a full meal but if it's in between meals just do some apetizers.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekjskjs:
    I think it would all come down to what time of day you have the shower. If it is near a normal meal then I would assume you should buy a full meal but if it's in between meals just do some apetizers.

Its going to be about 2pm so in between meals for sure. We are having a very nice bakery making a cake for the shower as well.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    At 2pm, I wouldn't expect a full meal.  I would eat lunch before I go.  I think you'd be fine with appetizers and cake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My experience has always been a full meal but I think you could definitely do apps if there was plenty of food to go around.
    BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options

I'll address the other aspect - it's not tacky to have the shower at your home.  If anything, it makes sense.  You don't have to lug all these gifts back to your  house.  As long as it's clear you aren't hosting it, having  it at your house is perfectly fine.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I haven't had much of a hand in my shower other than picking what food I would like. The place my MIL is having it has a buffet that they can do. I think my shower is around lunch time. If I were a guest and it were around a meal time I would enjoy being able to have my brunch/lunch/dinner then.

See what the venue offers and take into account the time the shower is going to be at.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageEstwd2:
    I guess I'm the only one, but honestly if I went to a restaurant, I would expect a meal. I've never been to a shower at a restaurant where a meal was not served. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because based on responses here, it does. But after I finished some apps, I'd be looking around for the main course.
    I probably would be too.  For it to be just apps, I'd probably wonder "then why did we have it here?  Why didn't we do this at someones home instead?". 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    My mother, sister and aunt are having a shower for me at an Italian food restaurant. it's over a lunch time, so we are serving a meal. It's a set price per person and we are able to pick 5 items off the menu...it will be set up buffet style, unlimited of each item we picked for the group.
    2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • Options

The bottom line is, the guest shouldn't leave having to pay a bill. 

Set up a special menu, order for them or foot the bill for their choices, it's all the same and up to the hostess--as long as she pays at the end. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I'll address the other aspect - it's not tacky to have the shower at your home.  If anything, it makes sense.  You don't have to lug all these gifts back to your  house.  As long as it's clear you aren't hosting it, having  it at your house is perfectly fine.

I agree with this quote.  Also, regarding food...a bunch of appetizers and drinks for everyone would be fine for a 2 pm shower.

• Options
    If you only order apps, please make sure your waiter gets a good tip. The bill will be so small but with a large party, they'll likely be doing just as much work as if everyone ordered a plate. I'm surprised there are all these laws of courtesy within social settings but little when it comes to waitstaff. Earning dollars is as important to them as having a non-tacky party is to you and your MIL. 
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

AMEN!!!  Especially for a baby shower it's not an etiquette faux pas because this way the new Mom doesn't need to be hauling gifts especially if there's any chance by then that you'd be on bedrest. 

If she's set on having it at the restaurant though, I'd base the decision on what the pricing is.  By the time you buy all the apps for people it oftentimes is cheaper to just order a meal then give drink tokens (one per person up to a certain amount)...  It's all in what her budget is...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I've thrown several showers for friends in their own homes.  While it puts more stress on them to clean, not having to lug stuff home was awesome.  In each case MTB was on light bedrest, but still, it was really nice, and they got to show off the nurseries.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"