Multiples
Options

Need help with feeding solids (what to do)

So, I have no clue what I am doing here, and need some help.  We started cereal a few weeks ago.  They really did not like the rice cereal so we have been doing oatmeal and they are doing well with it.  I feed them each 2Tbsp of oatmeal once a day.

This morning I am in the midst of making them their first veggies (I am going to do butternut squash).  I went on wholesomebabyfood.com so I know HOW to make the squash, but was wondering what you guys do in terms of how much food per day.

So, do I continue to give them the oatmeal and add the squash as well.  Do I only give them the squash and see how they do or do I give them half a serving of squash and half a serving of oatmeal?

Should I be feeding solids twice a day?  My pedi was of no help and as you can see I am clueless, so if today is our first veggie day, what do I do? 

Thanks 

Re: Need help with feeding solids (what to do)

• Options

Our girls started solids at 5mo. The first month, they had one meal a day. Usually cereal and fruit or a veggie (cereal with a veggie just sounds yucky to me).  When they are starting new foods, make sure you give it to them for 3 - 5 days straight before trying something new.  That's in case they develop an allergy -- you'll know what caused it.  As for amount, I usually just feed them until they don't want any more, but it wasn't much.  It was less than a stage 1 jar of fruit / veggie between the two of them.

A little after 6mo, we moved up to 2 meals per day based on our pedi's recommendation.  They now have oatmeal plus fruit about an hour after their first bottle.  They have fruit and veggie sometime in late afternoon - usually I can use half the jar of fruit for breakfast and finish up the fruit jar and add a veggie stage 2 jar for lunch.  I read somewhere that they go up to three solid meals per day at about 9 months.  Good luck!

Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

When you say they didn't like the cereal, were they pushing it out of their mouths?  If so, they aren't ready for solids.  Wait another week and try again.

Solids should no replace formula/bm until close to a year.  I would try and do solids once a day around noonish or early afternoon (avoid it at night time if it hurts their tummies).  I think we did cereal/oatmeal for a long time, when they were just taking one feeding a day.  When they can put away a decent amount of cereal go ahead and add in something else.  I made my own food too, lite peaches and pears I thickened with rice cereal, adding no sugar added applesauce to thin out oatmeal.  We stuck with one of two different foods until they were close to a year.  The good thing about making food ahead and keeping in the freezer, you can always take out more if you need it.  Sometimes they'll be hungry, sometimes not.  Just let them dictate to you what they want to eat.  We had preemies so I would always want them to eat more but you can't push it.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks for posting as I had the same q's!!!
  • Options
    Me too.  I had the exact same questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"