Working Moms

When do you fit in exercise??

I am having such a hard time. I don't want to sacrifice time with DD and I work F/T. I would do early, early mornings before work, but we don't have many street lights (fur running) and my gym isn't open that early. After DD goes to bed, I'm pretty pooped and want to see DH for a few minutes. Lunch is tough because it's hot outside and I usually have meetings anyway. I suppose I'm just stuck, huh? 

Re: When do you fit in exercise??

• Never. Sad  DS isn't very good with the sleeping so far so any type of exercise is shelved.  When it was just DD I would hop on our stationary bike as soon as she went to bed.  It's tough, I agree.  You spend all day working, dealing with dinner and bedtime, and the first thing on my mind is to just crash on the couch with the remote and my laptop.  I am super unmotivated when it comes to exercising.  What I've found helps is that when I come home and change I purposely change into workout clothes.  Once DD was tucked in I am more motivated to bike if I'm already in my workout clothes.  I also told DH to hold me accountable.  I gave him permission to ask me if I'm working out tonight.  Doing those two things really helped me.  Some weeks I biked for an hour almost every other day, which is a big deal for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aglennaglenn member
    I change it up all the time depending on what works because it is always a juggle, but right now I'm doing early mornings at home (we have a treadmill and I have some workout videos) and/or lunch time at work (there is a gym in my office building and I'll go do some weights and abs so I don't get too sweaty).  I work from home a day here and there and will run on those days, and I try to get to a yoga class on the weekends.  It's not as consistent as I'd like and it takes  a lot of effort to make it happen, but I try to make it a priority because it helps a LOT with my stress level.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • jlaOKjlaOK member
    I either workout at lunch or right after work (before DH and DS get home). If all else fails, I'll go after dinner or after DS goes to bed.

View Full Size Image

• I don't have time to either.  I suppose I could join a gym close to my house and go early in the morning at like 6:30 a.m or earlier but I'd pretty much rather chop off my leg before doing that. 

Plus the baby is still waking up to nurse a few times a night so that wouldn't work right now anyway.

We have no work out equipment at home so that's out.

And we have no gym at work so that's out.

We work on the 7th floor and my boss suggested running up and down the whole flight of stairs a few times.  He was joking, but I suppose that would work :)

Oh yeah and after work is out of the question obviously because I wouldn't see the kids.  And they go to bed late and the little baby nurses to sleep so that's out too!

Right now I play softball once a week (tue nights) so I have a softball game tonight but that's only once a week and that's really not cutting it.

So I've postponed regular workouts until after the kids are older.  We do a LOT of stuff on weekends though so that helps. 

• CHI-06CHI-06 member
    It is SO hard to find the time.  Right now I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred because I can do it in our basement any time of day and without someone else to watch the kids.  I can only fit it in 4 days a week and it's only 20 minutes.  I make sure to fit it in Sat/Sun and then just twice during the work week. 
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • I had to choose an event to train for... otherwise, I would always find an excuse not to do it.  So, I've done two sprint triathlons and many 5K's this summer.  Currently training for an olympic distance triathlon. 

Time wise, my husband goes to the gym early AM and I either bike or run with the family in the evening. One evening, I have swim practice, but it's right as LO is going to bed so I don't feel so bad.  Another night, I have volleyball and DH and LO come with me to that.  On the weekends, I go early in the morning either with my training partner or if she's not going with me, then I'll take LO with me and run or bike.  

Sometimes I feel guilty thinking when he's with me running or biking that it's not quality time.  However, he loves to be outside, is always content out there, and I figure I'm setting a good example by getting him active now and it will hopefully continue for the rest of his life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This is what I'm worried about.  I started doing Weight Watchers and its going well but overeating has never really been my problem - I need to exercise.

I joined an Ilovekickboxing.com gym and I'm going to my first class tonight, I'm excited but the idea of being away from Livi longer twice a week doesn't thrill me at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's hard, especially when you have a little baby. I did find that once DD reached the age of 1, I was able to fit it in better, some of the mom guilt wore off a bit if I choose to exercise over spending more time with her. Not sure if that will happen again, now I have a 7 month old and a 3 year old, and it's even harder for me to choose exercise over time with the kids! So I try not to make it a choice like that, instead, I try to focus on how much better I feel after I give myself that time.

I also am very active on weekends WITH the kids, going for long walks while pushing a double stroller will get you in shape pretty fast!

• I am super lucky because my office has a gym downstairs so I go on my lunch. Yes I do get sweating and stinky but I deal with it. My work is pretty good about understanding to. Plus after I cool off for a while I go back to looking pretty normal, lol.
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    I go to the gym at lunch and block the time off in my outlook calendar. 
  • DH and I have designated evenings to work out(his is Tues and mine is Wed).  We try to ride our bikes together on the weekend and I will fit in an extra workout either Sat or Sun morning.
  • Im having a very hard time with it. I have a little gym in my basement, elleptical and all..but finding time is really bad. My husband even bought me Zumba classes, and Ive gone only once. Weekends are crazy as well. What Im trying to do is at least watch what I eat. I know nothing can replace working out, by watching what you eat doesnt take time.
  • It took me a while to get back into the swing of things but I do it in the morning now - at 5am.  Its light enough to be outside for the summer.

I've also taken one of the girls on a walk in the evening or we go out on a family walk/D1 rides her bike.  Or pre-D2 I would consider my exercise time also to be bonding time for D1 and DH.

• I quit making excuses of why I couldn't work out almost two months ago.  I am lucky in that I have a gym at work, so most days I get a short 45 minute workout in on my lunch break.  My husband works third shift, 4 days on/2 days off.  When he is off the night before, I go in super early to work out (I am here shortly after 5:30 on those days).  I also have 24/7 access to my gym at work, so I come in at least one day over the weekend for a longer workout.  We also have a Y membership and I take one class a week (a spin class right now) there.  If you quit making excuses you will find a way and opportunities to work out.
  • There's not ever a "good time" for this. You have to just fit it in and make it work!

Some nights, I take DS for a walk in our neighborhood in the stroller - I walk pretty fast and he is heavy, so I consider it a workout : ) That way you're still seeing your LO but also exercising.

Also, most nights I do the 30 Day Shred when DS goes to bed (between 8-8:30). It's only 20 minutes and I sweat so much! Perfect amount of time for me.

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I go swimming after DS in bed for the night.  I always worry that he'll wake up, and he has a few times, but DH pats his butt and back and DS goes back to sleep.

On the weekends, I go when DS goes down for his 1st nap of the day... 

Honestly, there are times when I'm just so exhausted and I feel like I never get to spend quality time with DH during the week, but once I go I feel sooooo much better about life and things in general. 

We just make the minutes that we do get to spend with each other really count and weekends are the sweetest time ever.

• vszappvszapp member
    Oh, if only DD liked the stroller! She cries within 10 minutes every time. I keep hoping she'll get over it. I do use a carrier to go for walks but it's rarely enough to get a real workout.

• I can empathize! I wake up at 430 already because of my commute so waking up earlier is not likely (my gym is open that early). I also feel guilty after a full day at work to go to the gym.  For a while it wasn't even possible because my husband got home around 7 and by that time it was dinner, get LO to bed and then ourselves ready for the next day.  Now DH has a better schedule where we can alternate picking up LO, so we each go to the gym twice a week when the other picks up LO.  Then on the weekends we take turns.  It's hard and I feel guilty leaving him for yet another hour or so...but I really want to model healthy behavior for him too.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Oh...but if you can't get there Jillian's 30 day shred is pretty good...it's only 20 minutes long and if you need to, you can double up for 40 minutes...it's only $10 at Target.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • imagemexicolombiana:

We work on the 7th floor and my boss suggested running up and down the whole flight of stairs a few times.  He was joking, but I suppose that would work :)

Ha!  I work on the 40th floor of my building...now that would be a workout!  Of course, I would be dead, but that's beside the point.

I work from home 2 days a week, so I will go walking in the mornings (about 20 minutes) after the nanny gets here.  I also try to walk on the weekend.  I do weights and crunches during the day to take a break from work.  It's not much, but better than nothing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've modified what a workout means to me. I used to be a real runner, like I ran the marathon in 2010. At first when I was ready to workout post baby, I only did it when I could go on what I considered a real run. That also meant I had to wash and dry my hair to be presentable, something that takes me too long in the morning.

About 2 weeks ago, I started running just 1 mile at 5:30am. I figure any workout is better than nothing and my hair doesn't get so sweaty that I have to wash it again. I do shower though! I also started doing an ab workout with DH after LO is in bed. We figured out how to get you tube on our TV, so there are tons of free videos we can do! We just do a15 minute one every other day, but again, better than nothing!

Oh and DH and I have been taking LO for a leisurely 2 mile walk I'm the evenings, weather permitting. It's not what I used to call a workout, but I'm hanging out with my family and burning calories. I'll take it!

• I have to wake up at 4am to get into the gym.  It is the absolute only time I can go.  It only allows me 5 hours sleep/night, but I am determined to get my body back.  I look like crap.

• 2-Step2-Step member

imageCHI-06:
    It is SO hard to find the time.  Right now I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred because I can do it in our basement any time of day and without someone else to watch the kids.  I can only fit it in 4 days a week and it's only 20 minutes.  I make sure to fit it in Sat/Sun and then just twice during the work week. 

This is my only hope of working out too. I was doing really good and then we had a couple months where one or all of us have been sick one right after the other and sleep is almost nonexistant. I'd like to get back into the groove next week though. I have to get up at 5:30 to get in the workout in my basement before the kids wake up, then I try to do do two weekend workouts even if I don't get in any morning ones.

I'm starting to think about doing a yoga class one night after work. It would mean less time with the kids though, which I already have guilt about!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"