Special Needs

Medication for Asperger's child?

I have a 6 year old son who has just finished his kindergarden year. He has never been officially diagnosed but has red flags for Asperger's. At the end of the year conference w/ his teeachers (he has a regular and ESE  teachers) the subject of medication for him was brought up. He has alot of trouble focusing in class and his teachers seem to think medication will help him. I hesitate to put him on medication being so young but also want him to have every advantage possible. Is there anyone here who has their child on meds? Pros? Cons?

Re: Medication for Asperger's child?

• Has he been officially diagnosed with anything? He has red flags for Asperger's but no official diagnosis? Before discussing any medication, you need to seek an evaluation with a medical professional. What is it with teachers suggesting meds? They are not doctors.

If you DS has ADHD, yes meds may help. You need to be 100% comfortable with the decision and discuss it with your child's doctor. You will then need to figure out which medication works for your child, but please seek a full evaluation.

My DS #1 has an ADHD dx and a PDD-NOS dx. He currently is not medicated. We did try some stimulates with not great results. We have decided to wait on further pursuing meds until we try some behavior modification and we see how he does in school with the IEP in place. He did not have any support, accommodations or modifications this last year. 

• I am going to speak with a Dr about it but I'm in the process of trying to switch pediatrcians so in the mean time I was hoping to get some insight. He has never been diagnosed by a Dr as being on the spectrum but has been eval'd through several local programs as well as school. He is currently on an IEP at school and they have recomended some additional assistance next year. He has alot of trouble w/ social interaction and knowing how to interact w/ people. Growing up he goes through stages of lining things up and has trouble adjusting to change. He also goes through random stages where he will be obsessed w/ something ie dinosaurs, superheros cars. We have worked with our local CARD center as well. My guess is there is some adhd as well. I hesitate to use medications but wasn't sure what else would work.

Thanks for your insights! I will definetly be speaking w/ this new Pediatrician about possiblities and dx  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"