Preemies

Just thought I'd say a quick hello

(This ended up being not so quick!)

Im a lurker because I'm not 100% sure I belong here. My LO was born at 36 weeks exactly, he weighed 6lbs 3oz at birth and right now at 3w3ds old he weighs 5lbs 15oz. We haven't had many complications thankfully, he is very small, and we fought jaundice for a while. The main concern was that he didn't gain any weight in the first two weeks, but thankfully last week he gained a little bit last week after we started giving him formula. 

The hardest part is that my boobs seem to have failed me. =(  LO couldn't latch well or suck, so we tried a nipple shield..but he still could suck enough to get much out, and his jaundice was really bad, so our LC suggested EPing and feeding him form a bottle so that we knew how much he was getting. So we've been doing that for about a week and a half. Last week we were told to start fortifying it so he'd gain some weight (and it totally worked) but my supply ha been really decreasing. I started Fenugreek, and drinking a beer at night, along with power pumping but nothing seems to have worked. Today I only got an oz and a half total from 7 pumping sessions. =/ So I'm thinking we're going to end up making the switch to formula.

My doctor keeps referring to LO as a premie, and our LC kept calling him a "late-term premie" but we haven't gone through everything most premie parents have. I've been lurking though because I have no idea what to expect as far as milestones and growth spurts. He's almost a month old and I don't think we've have a growth spurt yet (isn't there supposed to be one at one week and around three weeks?) 

Anyways, Hello, and if you'll have me I'd love to stick around. =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just thought I'd say a quick hello

• Congrats on your LO!  I'm sorry you are having such a tough time with BFing.  I know there's a some late term preemie moms who post on here, but generally you can go by adjusted age for milestones.
  • Congratulations on the birth of your little guy! Because your son was born at 36 weeks he is definitely considered a late term preemie. Your experience with BFing sounds exactly what happen with my two babies. BFing is so hard, but try not to beat yourself up over it. It sounds like your LO is doing well not, finally starting to gain weight, etc. Definitely stick around and ask questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"