VBAC

Trying to figure out if VBAC is the best option..

DD was a vaginal birth, DS was c-section due to his size (the doctors kind of scared me into it, saying he was measuring over 13lbs and they didn't want to risk anything), now with this baby I want to try VBAC because I loved the instant bond and time I got with DD that I didn't get with DS. I'm scared because both of my babies were pretty big, 8lbs14oz and 9lbs15oz. Part of me liked knowing exactly when DS was coming because I could make sure someone was around for DD. We are far away from family, etc. and planning made things a little easier the second time around. I'm not sure what my best option is? Any thoughts/opinions? I know ultimately it will be my decision, or mother nature's... but anyone have a similar experience?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Trying to figure out if VBAC is the best option..

• Big babies are born vaginally all the time. My grandmother had a 12-pounder that way. Since you have already had a bigger baby vaginally, you're a perfect candidate for a VBAC even if this one is big. My first was average size and was a C; my second had a head size off the charts and was still a successful VBAC. 

You've had both types of birth, as I have, so you know that the recovery from a vaginal birth is usually much easier than after a C. That's especially helpful when you already have another kid or two running around.

The only snag I see is lining someone up to watch your kids when you go into labor. But that should be easier than needing much more help for the 6-week recovery from a C! 

DD 2007 DD 2010 Expecting #3
  • While your babies were on the larger size, I wouldn't call them "big babies" that could not be birthed vaginally.  On one side of my family, the women are all under 5 feet and consistently birthed babies pushing 12 lbs.  My DS was over 10, but that wasn't the reason for my c/s. 

What I'm trying to say is that the size issue shouldn't scare you.  It will be much easier to have three and deal with a vaginal recovery than a c/s!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I would completely go for the VBAC! You gave birth to a almost 9 lb baby vaginally, chances are really high that you can do that again.

Do you want anymore kids after this one? I would think about that, also.  It's going to be easier to have more VBACs if you have one right now.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Thanks for all your responses. We had our first appointment the other day and discussed VBAC and I am looking forward to it. Part of me is still upset I felt forced into a C-sec to begin with for DS because of the doc. I know I need to just get over that though. Hopefully all goes well and this can be successful.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MIL said DH was almost 11 ibs and she delivered him naturally. You can do it if she can! My doctors told me a billion times that DS would be a HUGE baby and he came out at 7 ibs 10 oz. I diod not get a c-section because of his size, I got it because of my Toximia but after being told he would be huge and him being perfectly average weight I don't think I would choose to have a c-section for fear of babies ize because who really knows baby size until they are out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"