Military Families
Options

Quickest way to contact deployed DH during labor

If anyone has had a spouse deployed while you went into labor what was the quickest way to contact them? Should I contact the red cross 1st or should I contact his stateside shop and have someone from there contact his shop where he is deployed or is there another way that is more efficient? I just want to get a hold of him ASAP when that time comes!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Quickest way to contact deployed DH during labor

• Options
    I haven't been through that but I would think Red Cross would be the most efficient.
  • Options
    I could be wrong but I believe red cross will only inform him once you have given birth. His rear detachment is probably your best bet. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    I could be wrong but I believe red cross will only inform him once you have given birth. His rear detachment is probably your best bet. 

This is correct, and I agree with contacting the rear detachment or the FRO if you have one.

• Options
    imageSheilaE:

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

This is correct, and I agree with contacting the rear detachment or the FRO if you have one.

Yep, call Rear D.  You should also contact your key caller or your FRSA.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I/we called his cell phone.
  • Options
    DH was stateside when the OB decided to induce me due to pre-e, and I had to get a message through by the red cross.  They were able to get him released to come home, but they had to confirm with my doc that it was a medical emergency.

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    NSLNSL member
    Skype wound up being the fastest way for me to deliver the message.
  • Options
    I'm 39 weeks and was told the fast way was a Red Cross message...I was told to call as soon as I went into labor and they would deliver the message so he could get on the computer. If he was off base, they would deliver 2 messages...one that I was in labor and one that our LO was born. I was told this by the Red Cross and in our deployment briefing. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I think  I would do both. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    July 2007 m/c 6 weeks
    November 2010 m/c 7 weeks 1 day
    MTHFR (Compound hetero with copies of A & C)
  • Options

imagedaisy770:
    I'm 39 weeks and was told the fast way was a Red Cross message...I was told to call as soon as I went into labor and they would deliver the message so he could get on the computer. If he was off base, they would deliver 2 messages...one that I was in labor and one that our LO was born. I was told this by the Red Cross and in our deployment briefing. 

This is really not true if you are wanting him to be able to call you or Skype with you during the delivery.  It can take up to 24 hours or longer for the Red Cross to get a message to some one.  It all depends on how the person getting the message views it.  If there are a number of messages coming in about deaths or serious injuries, your labor may not be seen as a priority and be put on the bottom of the pile.  If you are wanting him to get to a computer ASAP, call the Rear D.  If your FRG is passing on this info, they are seriously incorrect.  Contact the Rear D and the Red Cross.  

• Options
    It looks as if your husband is in the airforce contact his unit deployment manager and they should be able to pull some strings. is he in the middle of his deployment or what because when i was end if a member was towards the end we did everything to get them home. i was a unit deployment manager while in. good luck
  • Options
    MiahTMiahT member
    I would contact both Rear D and the Red Cross.  The Rear D will have the fastest way to get word to him, especially if his command is already aware that you're going to deliver soon.  However, if something comes up and you end up needing him home for a medical emergency, the Red Cross has to be involved.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your advice! I really appreciate it. I think I will do what many of you said and contact both. I too had heard red cross may not contact him right away which worried me, but then DH said that a guy who works with him was contacted by the red cross last week when his wife went into labor and he got to leave work to Skype with her. He is air force, but unfortunately he is only 1 month into a 6 month deployment so I don't think they will send him home, but I am determined to get him on Skype. Maybe it'll be convenient and I'll go into labor during the couple hours a day that he's not working or sleeping lol. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I contacted our FRO and then the Captain's wife of my DH's company emailed her DH to try and find mine.  That was around Midnight and by 5 am they still hadn't got ahold of him.  Luckily he ended up calling me early that morning so he was able to Skype.  I didn't even bother with the Red Cross.
  • Options
    Red cross will only notify him when you have already had the baby...horrible! I tried calling 4 different times begging to get someone to contact DH and no one would. I had I wait til he got online. Talk to your FRG leader though I'm sure they can contact someone down range faster anyway.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I went into labor while my husband was deployed, my supervisor (we're ADAF) called my husband's home station First Sgt who contacted his deployed units First Sgt and luckily due to timing, time difference, whatnot-my husband was able to call me while in labor. I'd definitely contact his unit deployment manager, First Sgt, supervisor...everyone and anyone. The more people trying to contact him, the better. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"