Cincinnati Babies

Q re: PPD & Lexapro

I know I should probably call my doc, but it's Saturday, so I thought I'd get your input.

So, my OB put me on Lexapro for PPD. He said I could probably go off of it once my hormones regulated, which he thought would be in 3 - 4 weeks from when I saw him. So, one bottle o' pills. (although he wrote the script with 3 refills)

Well, I'm almost out of Lexapro, but haven't gotten my period yet. Which tells me my hormones aren't regulated yet, right? I don't want to stop the Lexapro, and end up depressed like I was before. But the copay is $50, and I really don't want to pay that again.

DH says let the prescription run out, and see how I do.

WDYT?

Re: Q re: PPD & Lexapro

• What about a different med?  I've been on the generic Zoloft (sertraline) for a year and I only pay $5.00 a month.  Could be my insurance, though.  Anyway, the Sertraline helped my ppd a ton.  Also, I did go off of it for a while and I tapered myself off of it.  Taking it every other day, than every two days.  My dose is super low, so I could do that (50 mg a day), but if you have a higher dose I wouldn't quite cold turkey.  Good luck!
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was also on Zoloft for PP anxiety/OCD and got the generic. Maybe ask about a different pill? When I stopped taking it I cut my dose in half (from 50 to 25) for the last two weeks - you really shouldn't stop them cold turkey.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • A word of advice, don't just quit the Lexapro cold turkey. You'll want to wean off of it.  When I quit taking it, I took a half pill for a week, then a half pill every other day for a few days, then every three days etc.  Your body needs to adjust to coming off of it.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Kristen is right. As a pharmacist I have to tell you not to stop it cold turkey. Even though you haven't been on it too long you still need to slowly come off of it. Maybe check the cash price (it shouldn't be too different from your $50 co-pay) and if it is cheaper maybe get a 2 week supply. I wouldnt stop though. Bad things happen when you stop cold turkey. Google serotonin syndrome. Hope this helps.
  • It's hard to tell when your hormones have regulated, but I'd err on the side of caution. I slowly weaned myself off at the advice of my OB. I went from 20mg/day to 10mg/day for a week, then tried one day without it to see how I felt. I felt fine so I continued to stay off it. I was on it for 3.5 months before I went off, though. I know the copay sucks, but it may be worth the peace of mind to see if you can try to wean yourself off it. PPD is usually worse when you have it rather than in how you remember it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"