Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Stressed Out by Charting?

I've noticed quite a few posters say that charting stresses them out, or they were so stressed out by charting that they quit or their partners asked them to stop charting.

I'm curious - what about it was stressful for you?

Re: Stressed Out by Charting?

• Options
    I've been charting for over 24 months, I just need a break. But, that's just me :P
  • Options

Great questions! My DH and I decided to keep charting but he found it a little "intimidating" I guess to know when he HAD TO perform. For me, I found it stressful knowing that the fertile window was here so it was now or never!

HOWEVER... in the end we both like it because it gives us information after the fact that help guide us through the rest of the month.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In general, I don't find it stressful -  I think it makes me stress less, because I know what is going on and have a temp dip to warn me that my period will be starting.  The exception is last month, but that was because I missed a lot of temps and it looks like my LP was long so I was testing a lot the last few days.

I have considered not charting during the 2ww (and a lot of times I don't on the weekend) just so I don't think about it as much. It just depends on the person and your personality.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I have anxiety issues.  Charting just makes me anxious and nervous and sick.  I know it's really pathetic, maybe I'll start back in a few months.
  • Options
    I find it stressful because it's all consuming for me...if I know exactly when I ovulate, and how many dpo's etc etc, I am constantly looking for signs, symptoms everything. This month I stopped charting however, I still have a pretty good idea of when I O'd so I will still be looking for signs, but at least I dont have knots in my stomach hoping my temp is still high the next morning. Who knows though, next cycle I may be back to charting....
  • Options

imageMrsMAF:
    I find it stressful because it's all consuming for me...if I know exactly when I ovulate, and how many dpo's etc etc, I am constantly looking for signs, symptoms everything. This month I stopped charting however, I still have a pretty good idea of when I O'd so I will still be looking for signs, but at least I dont have knots in my stomach hoping my temp is still high the next morning. Who knows though, next cycle I may be back to charting....

That is EXACTLY how I feel about it!

• Options
    Ditto AMF. I could see how those things may stress someone out. I give myself a hard time for forgetting a temp, drinking, waking up too late to temp, checking this and that. It's so consuming at times.
  • Options
    It isn't stressful until after I o and then I obsess over my chart.
  • Options

Charting drove me into addiction, and lessened my chances of conception because I was far too excited/stressed/anxious. I didn't produce CM and DH never wanted to have sex with me haha. It was a job... and I think I have come to realize whatever will be, will be. Not to mention the blow from AF was so awful because I had come up with this theory in my head that because I was charting and temping I would absolutely get pregnant on my first attempt (even though I know the odds.) It was a mental block, that turned physical.

Just didn't work for us... but it has certainly been a saving grace for many couples.

• Options
    I agree, it helps me know my cycles a lot better but I'm constantly stalking my own chart to see if I can "figure out" if I'm p/g...it makes me very anxious and I don't think DH likes it very much but I'm going to keep charting for a couple more cycles and if still no go then I'll just throw caution to the wind I guess.
  • Options

Thanks for responding ladies!

I find the whole proess empowering and exciting, so it was hard for me to understand how it could be stressful or cause anxiety. So thank you for sharing your perspectives!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"