3rd Trimester
Options

Baby registries (vent)

Why do we create them?  People coming to your baby showers ask, what do you still need, um, lots, check out my registry.  Yet at the baby shower all you get are clothes, and cute stuff...  Mind you I appreciate everything everyone buys for me its kinda like, well they give us coupons to complete our registries, but I have to buy EVERYTHING I put on there.  Just came from my work baby shower, they did better than my regular baby shower, some of them did buy a few things off the registry, and got me diapers (had like, none) and wipes.  So was definitely thankful for that.  Sorry just needed to vent, cuz i have a bajillion things left on my registries now. Ugh.

Re: Baby registries (vent)

• Options

Yeah, I totally understand. We got a ton of stuff, and while not much of it was what we registered for, it's still stuff we'll use. We did get some things from the registry but they were not taken off the registry, which has left us with two infant car seats and forced us to ask someone for a gift receipt because Target is... well, not a company I wish to do business with anymore. I'm glad we didn't end up with two swings, since we were given the exact one we wanted(!) but it wasn't bought from the registry.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they wish with their money because chances are we'd be able to use everything regardless. But you'd think, with big ticket items, if it's not on the registry you don't really expect anyone to buy it, right? Well, we ended up with a huge travel system. For our tiny third floor walkup city apartment and a lifestyle that doesn't really necessitate a stroller, at least right away, since we'll wear and carry the baby. I just don't understand, but regardless, four family members went in on it for us. DH and I are also pretty tall so most strollers are out. We put it together and it happens to be JUST tall enough for us to push without hunching over or kicking it, so we decided to keep it, although we really don't know when we'll use the stroller or where it will be stored. I want to be purely appreciative but I mean, when you know someone has a very small space and a particular living situation, I know I'd personally trust their judgement in what they need and don't need. But still I am just glad people wanted to celebrate our baby regardless.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options

Registries help you keep track of what you want and need for baby and also you get a discount coupon.  

I was amazed to read on the baby shower board and also here that some moms are fully completing their registries and don't have anything left to really buy from their showers.  So some people out there do use registries to buy gifts.  I am not sure how common that is or isn't.    

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone asked me about my registries but no one bothered buying from mine either. Instead I got a bunch of fleece blankets or handmade quilts for my summer baby who won't even be able to use any of them until winter. Seriously, every other present was a blanket. I get that people have a choice of what to buy you because it is their money after all and they really don't have to buy you anything but I don't understand why they bother nagging about getting them my registry link when nothing is purchased from it. I totally get your vent.
    image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I just had my last baby shower today and I am disappointed as well. Mind you, I am so grateful for everything I have been given, I have enough clothes to get my child through pretty much the entire first year of her life. I am left wondering, though, what the point of me taking the time to create these registries? I got probably about 1/4 of what I registered for. Luckily I got probably $200 in Target gift cards so I can at least get the exersaucer I registered for and the bedding for the crib, and other stuff to go along with that. My guests all nagged about where I registered at as well and they all loaded me up with clothes, a lot of it being long sleeved newborn stuff when she's due in August.

imageVisit The Nest!

• Options
    WIth my first son I felt so greatful that so many people gave us so many gifts and hand me downs that I kept everything!  We had an entire drawer of the changing table dedicated to bibs.  I just had a garage sale and got rid of about half of it.  I wish I had just returned (for store credit whatever) a lot of the blankets, bibs etc that I got.  Not to mention lots of things can be bought slightly used for way cheaper.  I wouldn't have spent so much on completing my registry. 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Return what you don't want and use the store credit to buy stuff from your registry.  Problem solved.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecwm11985:
    Return what you don't want and use the store credit to buy stuff from your registry.  Problem solved.

Easier said than done. In my case anyway. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

People have a tendency to buy what they want.  It's their money, so that's their right.  

Babies don't need that much in the beginning.  A car seat, diapers & wipes, a few onesies and blankets and bottles if you don't breastfeed.   Ultimately, its up to you to provide those things.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagedanielle2583:

imagecwm11985:

Easier said than done. In my case anyway. 

But doable.  We returned many, many things (including items with no gift receipt, thus having to go from store to store to see where they came from) and then bought what we needed. Its NBD. 

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's annoying as hell, isn't it? People will ask what you need prior to your shower and after, you direct them to your registry, they get distracted by some 8-piece frilly piece of nonsense no newborn has any business wearing, and you still have 100s of dollars in actual, functional baby supplies to buy.

I returned every last goofy looking newborn and 0-3 outfit that she will never wear (who gets a newborn sized fleece 4-piece layette set for a baby being born in July???) and used those merchandise credits towards things we actually need. It's the easiest thing in the world to shop off a list someone gives you, but people are gonna do what they want to do anyway.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am shocked that people don't buy stuff off your registries!  This must vary by where you live.  I got a few things that weren't on my registry but otherwise people shopped entirely off my registry with my first son.  I was one of those lucky people who got everything on their registry.  This time around a lot of people have asked me if I was going to register but because people were so generous the first time around I didn't feel comfortable making another registry.
    CafeMom Tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel ya! I spent a lot of time creating two registeries and only ONE person bought something off my lists. Everyone else just bought outfits, diapers and towels. This child has more hooded towels than I have regular ones. There quite a few items on my registery that I would have much rather recieved than yet another "monkey" outfit..but whatcha gonna do??? Tongue Tied

• Options
    I usually lurk, but I had to commiserate. My family bugged me for weeks to get a registry together and only 1 person purchased something off of it. I was actually really mad at the time. Why bug me then get me nothing but clothes. I actually was going to be Team Sneaky and not tell my family what we were having, but my husband thought it was cruel to tell his family and not mine. So I told them and got nothing but pink clothes. The worst part is, they are mostly from a store I don't have so I can't return anything. This will be one well dressed 6-9 month old!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    I got a LOAD of blankets... more than I will ever be able to use between the carrier, crib or anything else many times over. Many were hand made and I appreciate the talent that goes into that (since I have none of that particular talent). However, I sorta wished some people would have focused on some items I really need off the registry. And now my MIL informed me I probably have yet another blanket on the way lol... oh geez
  • Options

I understand your frustration, but I think different people have different ideas about the purpose of a registry.  DH and i have kinda treated ours like a wish lst/shopping list, which has been good, since my mom didn't mention it to anyone invited to the shower she threw.  Return what you can, and look into consignment shops and women's shelters in your area for the things you can't return or use.  

One of the most rewarding  things for me about my pregnancy has been the service project my National Honor Society students and I have done collecting for a local women's shelter.  Once I started to see how much stuff my baby was getting, but wouldn't need, I began setting aside donations.  I bought more items myself, and spread the word to my students and their families.  Twice, I have completely filled my station wagon with items and met with young moms who have shown strength and courage in ways I will probably never have to.

"Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
  • Options
    I totally get it! I was so so frustrated at my first shower, the only thing I got off my registry was my crib bedding from my Mom who helped me pick it out!  ALL I got was clothes!  I literally got 2 small packs of newborn diapers. I thought everyone got you diapers?!  I got a few random items, such as toys and a safety set,  but none off of my registries.  At my second shower, same thing! Nothing off of my registry!! I got diapers but not the kind we plan on using so I had to exchange them.  I got a pack-n-play but not the one we picked out so I had to exchange that too.  And soo many tubes of destin that I was able to buy a $50 item off my registry!  I appreciate the clothes, but how many of the same outfit does she need?!  A few blankets would have been nice and summer dresses size 6mo for our July baby don't work so well.  I didn't even get 1 bottle!  Ugh! LOL Well, I feel better now.  But, yes it would be so very helpful if people would buy off of the registry that they bug you about.
  • Options

Meh, I don't think this is worth getting upset over (or mad, even, some of you?!  lol!)  People like to buy cute tiny things for babies.  People don't like to buy a Diaper Genie or spend $25 on a box of diapers.  We didn't even have a "real" registry for #1, I didn't have a shower, so our registry was a list of 20 things we used as a shopping list.  The only functional gifts we got were the biggies from our parents - the stroller and crib.  Everything else, we got ourselves, and people who sent gifts sent blankets and outfits and little toys.

I shop off registries for baby showers, but that's probably because I'm in my baby-having years and get the need for functional things.  But when I'm 50 and 20 years past the baby-having years, yeah, I'll totally be buying cutesy little things for showers and would expect the receiver to be grateful to get a gift at all. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
  • Options
    imagemlf625:

Meh, I don't think this is worth getting upset over (or mad, even, some of you?!  lol!)  People like to buy cute tiny things for babies.  People don't like to buy a Diaper Genie or spend $25 on a box of diapers.  We didn't even have a "real" registry for #1, I didn't have a shower, so our registry was a list of 20 things we used as a shopping list.  The only functional gifts we got were the biggies from our parents - the stroller and crib.  Everything else, we got ourselves, and people who sent gifts sent blankets and outfits and little toys.

I shop off registries for baby showers, but that's probably because I'm in my baby-having years and get the need for functional things.  But when I'm 50 and 20 years past the baby-having years, yeah, I'll totally be buying cutesy little things for showers and would expect the receiver to be grateful to get a gift at all. 

This x 1,000.  I think this thread is the most ridiculous I've ever read on TB. 

• Options

lots of whiners in here.  Listen, your family and friends are under no obligation to provide for your baby.  You get pregnant?  You need to have money set aside for baby stuff. 

many people just don't do registries.  They wait until 2 hours before the shower to buy a gift, swing by Target/Walmart/whatever, grab something cute, throw it in a gift bag, and go :)  Especially true if you are having a girl.  

I spent about $400 completing my BBB registry last week.  Probably will spend the same completing my amazon one once the coupon arrives.  It's NBD.  If I want my baby to have that stuff, I have to spend the money.  

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Options

I understand completely!  I received a few gifts from my registry but most of the stuff came from elsewhere.

I appreciate the thought but I had done a lot of research on the items I chose for my registry and chose the ones with the best ratings for my child.  I'm also trying to go with natural products and such and received a lot of stuff I won't use.  I also want to cloth diaper and told my friends and family.  My mom and my friends made me a diaper cake... WTF?  My mom thinks that you only cloth diaper at home and when you go to the store you use regular diapers.   Yeah... so I'll take the baby out of a clean diaper right before leaving?

Most unusable gift is silver spoon and fork set and what looks like a very expensive ceramic bowl and cup set.

• Options
    imageHuskieFanUW:
    imagepugznploons:

lots of whiners in here.  Listen, your family and friends are under no obligation to provide for your baby.  You get pregnant?  You need to have money set aside for baby stuff. 

many people just don't do registries.  They wait until 2 hours before the shower to buy a gift, swing by Target/Walmart/whatever, grab something cute, throw it in a gift bag, and go :)  Especially true if you are having a girl.  

I spent about $400 completing my BBB registry last week.  Probably will spend the same completing my amazon one once the coupon arrives.  It's NBD.  If I want my baby to have that stuff, I have to spend the money.  

AGREED!!!!! It's your kid and not anyone who was invited to the shower.  Are you going to get mad in a year when your kid's first birthday comes along and people don't get your child things that you wanted???

So I take it you didnt have a shower because your so self sufficent?  

• Options
    imagereinedecajun:
    imageHuskieFanUW:
    imagepugznploons:

AGREED!!!!! It's your kid and not anyone who was invited to the shower.  Are you going to get mad in a year when your kid's first birthday comes along and people don't get your child things that you wanted???

So you're admitting you're relying on others to provide for your own child?  I don't think PP is bragging about being self-sufficient.  She just planned well.  And no, not everyone gets a shower.  It's not an entitlement.  It's a gift.

• Options

Registries help you keep track of what you want and need for baby and also you get a discount coupon.  

• Options

Did you announcy to everyone it was a GIRL or BOY?  I have to say when you know the sex of the baby PRE baby shower that's what happens.  People buy you clothes.  It's easy...you're not required to go to a baby store to get them.  They're cute and people CAN'T resist.

I left my pregancy a suprise and only registered for white onsies...and ended up getting way better stuff.  I did get a lot of swaddles and stuff but I also got some of the big ticket items and I really think it's because I don't know the sex. 

• Options
    imagepugznploons:

This!  OP, boo-freaking-hoo. Be grateful you got any gifts at all.

• Options
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagereinedecajun:
    imageHuskieFanUW:
    imagepugznploons:

So you're admitting you're relying on others to provide for your own child?  I don't think PP is bragging about being self-sufficient.  She just planned well.  And no, not everyone gets a shower.  It's not an entitlement.  It's a gift.

LOL...Not at all...my point is that when people are asked if im registered anywhere they should at least take the time to get something that is on the registery.  Not just grab the first cute outfit they see and call it a day. I just think its inconsiderate. 

• Options
    imagereinedecajun:
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagereinedecajun:
    imageHuskieFanUW:
    imagepugznploons:

LOL...Not at all...my point is that when people are asked if im registered anywhere they should at least take the time to get something that is on the registery.  Not just grab the first cute outfit they see and call it a day. I just think its inconsiderate

Apparently, you are confused as to the meaning of this word.

They took their time and hard-earned money to buy you something, simply because you got pregnant.  And you're b!tching because they didn't get you the right thing.

Yup, they're the inconsiderate ones.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagereinedecajun:
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagereinedecajun:
    imageHuskieFanUW:
    imagepugznploons:

LOL...Not at all...my point is that when people are asked if im registered anywhere they should at least take the time to get something that is on the registery.  Not just grab the first cute outfit they see and call it a day. I just think its inconsiderate. 

Inconsiderate to spend any kind of money on you? Fo realz?!? Look at what you just wrote. 
  • Options
    Be grateful that you get anything at all, end of story. 
    V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagereinedecajun:
    imagesjgurl784:
    imagereinedecajun:
    imageHuskieFanUW:
    imagepugznploons:

So you're complaining about the breath you used telling them where you were registered then?  There are a million and one reasons why people do or do not buy off of registries, the top one usually being that clothes and cutesy items are more fun to buy.  You do not get to dictate how people spend their money.  Registries are to be used as suggestions for your guests. 

• Options
    imagereinedecajun:

No, dear, you're missing the point.  Some people have showers for the right reason.  Which is to celebrate the baby and mom to be with people who care about you, and be grateful for their presence.  Whether or not they shopped your VERY IMPORTANT registry.

I'm dying at the "inconsiderate" statement.  Hauling their ass to your lame shower probably took a lot of consideration.  And let's face it - 90% of showers are pretty lame. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
  • Options
    For one WOW take a fing chill pill. My point is if your going to take the time to buy a gift then put some thought in it is all. I got a shower as a gift and I appreciated every gift I was given. Does that mean I didnt plan/finance the arrival of my own child? NO  My only issue was it would have been nice to get something on the registry that everyone questioned me about instead of 15 infant bath towels. Again doesnt mean im not greatful...or asking for people to finance what I wanted for my child. (its a simple annoyance vent on a website folks))

• Options

I also don't understand being bothered by this. I had a really fun shower, got a bunch of cute clothes, including some wonderful handmade clothes and blankets. The handmade stuff is awesome- it's so special and thoughtful. I got very few things from my registry, although I was so lucky to get some big ticket items. A bunch of my friends went in on a Pack&Play, my mom got my my stroller, and SIL bought the car seat. Other than those and about 1-2 other small items, I got nothing else from my registry. I went and spent a bit over $600 completing it.

I regret none of it and didn't even think to get upset or even mildly bothered. I didn't "need" any of the clothes I got for my shower since I am fortunate to have an entire wardrobe of hand-me-downs for her from someone who has had two girls. I was surprised I didn't get a single receiving blanket (just because I heard people like to buy those, and I registered for them), but not disappointed. 

I still had a blast opening all the gifts people got me, and won't be returning any of the new clothes (maybe I'm lucky I like it all?). My shower was super fun and I wouldn't change a thing.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Psh! You're ridiculous.

• Options

I just had my first shower yesterday and I had the same issue in that maybe 20% of my gifts came off my registry.  I didn't get that many clothes (no more than I expected) but I got several things I would deem useless like beautiful embroidered fancy burp cloths from a baby boutique.  I got at least 3 of those from 3 different guests and it's not like you can return those once they'e been embroidered.

What I didn't get was a diaper bag, the burp cloths I registered for, pacifiers, bibs, bottles, thermometer, first aid kid, etc...you know things that I might actually need.  I really was lucky that some of my friends that have recently had babies put together fabulous baskets with stuff I didn't even think to register for so I did get some things that were good.

I still have another shower next weekend so we'll see if people use my registry more (although I doubt it) and if not, I'll just use some of the gift cards I got. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageufmelissa:

I just had my first shower yesterday and I had the same issue in that maybe 20% of my gifts came off my registry.  I didn't get that many clothes (no more than I expected) but I got several things I would deem useless like beautiful embroidered fancy burp cloths from a baby boutique.  I got at least 3 of those from 3 different guests and it's not like you can return those once they'e been embroidered.

What I didn't get was a diaper bag, the burp cloths I registered for, pacifiers, bibs, bottles, thermometer, first aid kid, etc...you know things that I might actually need.  I really was lucky that some of my friends that have recently had babies put together fabulous baskets with stuff I didn't even think to register for so I did get some things that were good.

I still have another shower next weekend so we'll see if people use my registry more (although I doubt it) and if not, I'll just use some of the gift cards I got. 

::headdesk::

Does anyone hear how bratty they sound? 

• Options
    I hear ya. Baby shower #1 that my family gave me.... 2 items from the registry and 29 articles of clothing. TWENTY-NINE. I complained about this at work. Baby shower #2 hosted by co-workers, every gift was from the registry. :)

Anniversary
  • Options
    imageufmelissa:

If there are things that you "actually need," as you put it, go out and freaking buy them yourself. Showers are nice, and it is wonderful to have people that can help you, but ultimately it is up to you to supply the things you need for your child. Not everyone around you.

• Options
    PS - I'm willing to bet those being the moral police had the same thoughts.. or will have the same thoughts about not receiving any items from their registry. Of course we're all grateful for things we receive... but can we not vent about the fact that we would have rather received things we registered for. My thought it.... even if you don't want the hassle of going to a store, printing out a list, and shopping for specific items for me... just grab some diapers at your next trip to the grocery store. I won't be offended if you even spend just $10 as long as it's something useful like diapers and not a $10 or $15 outfit he will wear a week or month and puke on.

Anniversary
  • Options

imagebrandyleighxx:
    PS - I'm willing to bet those being the moral police had the same thoughts.. or will have the same thoughts about not receiving any items from their registry. Of course we're all grateful for things we receive... but can we not vent about the fact that we would have rather received things we registered for. My thought it.... even if you don't want the hassle of going to a store, printing out a list, and shopping for specific items for me... just grab some diapers at your next trip to the grocery store. I won't be offended if you even spend just $10 as long as it's something useful like diapers and not a $10 or $15 outfit he will wear a week or month and puke on.

I'm just saying... if you're going to spend your money, I'd rather you spend it wisely. Then we both win.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"