Preemies

Would you let a friend...

.... borrow your maternity clothes?

This may sound incredibly silly but I figured if anyone would understand it would be you guys...

A close friend of mine is about 8 weeks pregnant. She asked if she could borrow my maternity clothes and I immediately said yes. The more I think about it...I'm not sure. Some of the clothes I never even got to wear. Seeing her in them, huge and pregnant, might sting a little. I see MFM on July 26th to talk about risks of future pregnancy and if they think I should. I feel like if they tell me my odds are too high and that I shouldn't get pregnant again, that would hurt even more to see her wear them. What do you ladies think? Am I being irrational? Obviously, I still have some PTSD issues from all of this even if it has been over a year. I'm still so bitter about missing out on the third trimester and not getting to bring my baby home with me. It's not that I'm not happy for her, I am...I just don't know if I can handle seeing her in the maternity clothes that were meant for my pregnancy and huge belly that I never got. :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you let a friend...

• I had no issues giving my maternity clothes away. I actually told my friend to keep my clothes, because I don't want them back. I can understand that you never got to wear them and that may make you upset. How often are you going to see your friend? I don't see my friend every day, so I have no issues there.

• I would feel the same way.  I am actually going to return one dress I got that I never got to wear and I have to make myself return the dress I got for my shower... because it won't do me any good now and I am not sure if we are having any more kids... DH is against it right now but things are still really fresh.  I wouldn't want to see someone else wearing that dress... it would kill me. I bought the dress picturing myself with the big belly in it... not someone else. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • kck329kck329 member
    I gave all of mine to my SIL to wear and now we just have a big box of maternity clothes to share. I bought new maternity clothes a few days before C was born so yeah, it hurt a little to see her get to wear them but I didn't want them hanging around my house either.
  • imagejcsntms06:
    I had no issues giving my maternity clothes away. I actually told my friend to keep my clothes, because I don't want them back. I can understand that you never got to wear them and that may make you upset. How often are you going to see your friend? I don't see my friend every day, so I have no issues there.

I don't see her on a daily basis but I do see her regularly on weekends. Not to mention, pictures and such on facebook. I know myself and I think it would kill me but I don't want to be irrational and let good maternity clothes just sit in a box because I can't get over it, ya know? I guess everyone feels different ways about it. I think I will see what MFM says in July and go from there. Heck, I had to buy my own maternity clothes...she can too. Zip it!

• Pips09Pips09 member
    I wouldn't have a problem with it, I'm not that attached to the clothes, ( I would be more worried about not getting the nicer things back in good condition, should I need them again.) There's only one dress, that I might have a problem with. I bought it for my shower, but gave birth 3 weeks prior, so I never got to wear it. There isn't that much variety in maternity clothes, so she would probably end up with similar items anyway. It wouldn't matter that they came from me instead of a store/someone else.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• i would give them to a friend. I have a bunch of maternity clothes with tags on them that i never got to wear still hanging in my closet and I keep meaning to try to sell them because I hate seeing them. I'd gladly give them away!
  • I can understand your second thoughts on the matter. Maybe you could set aside a few items that you didn't get to wear and hope to another time, then loan the rest to your friend? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm with PP.  I think I would probably loan the items that I actually got to wear (minus a few of my favorites) but keep the stuff that I didn't get to wear (which is actually is most of it since I was barely showing :/).  Like you said-you bought them and if anyone should get the chance to wear them first it should be you.
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I shared my maternity clothes with my sister (she was preg first, and then whatever new stuff I got, I gave back to her when she was pregnant after me). I cried packing them up. I cried putting them in my car. I cried putting them in her car. I cried seeing her in them. I get it. I really hated the whole thing. But now they are at her house and I don't have to deal with seeing them anymore. It burns at first, but it is ok now. ((hugs))
  • I actually did let a friend borrow my maternity clothes from DD1, and turns out, her son was a preemie too! I wore them again with the twins, who were also preemies...maybe it's the clothes bringing bad luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lent mine to my cousin.  No big deal.  But if it's something you would have an issue with, just don't do it.  You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
  • KadyraKadyra member

I donated mine to a very unfortunate patient of mine.  She was homeless, pregnant, deaf, brittle diabetic, and in the hospital from about 18 weeks until delivery.  While she was there, she was evicted from her apartment, her identity got stolen along with the last $52 in her bank account.  All she had to wear were hospital gowns.  I felt bad.  I'd had DS 6-8 months before she was admitted and I didn't think I'd be having anymore kiddos after all that drama, so I brought her all my stuff-- except work clothes, since she didn't need them.  She cried.  We hugged.  It was nice.  I never had to see her as I went to a different rotation, but when I did see her, I felt good about what I'd done.

This time around I don't fit into those maternity clothes.  Too fat when I got my BFP, so I couldn't use the ones from DS anyway.  Had to buy all new.  I did get further along in my pregnancy than many of you (36 weeks), but I'm now facing the same issues this time around.  Already on and off bedrest since 12 weeks.  Got put back on it last week.  I may never get to wear my work clothes again!  So who knows what will happen.  As this will be the last baby no matter what, I'll probably donate them all to goodwill.  My thought is they're just clothes.  Your memories shouldn't depend on them.

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I gave everything to my BFF saying it was a borrow sort of situation just in case we have another...that said, it was more depressing to have them in a sad pile in my house. I had major issues with giving them away but once I saw the joy on her face that made me feel good. Someone should get use out of them...heavens knows I didn't. The belly bands were harder - I was seriously attached. It was the only maternity I actually needed and wore every day. I gave them to another BFF who sat in NICU once/week with me. She gets it. Anyway, she wore one (my fave) for her last bump shot and another surprising affect: JOY! I don't know how else to describe it - I don't know if I'd feel that way if I wasn't close to these girls - differently, I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"