Multiples
Options

To b/f or not to b/f...

Throughout my whole pregnancy I thought I wanted to try b/f but mostly pump so dh or others can help me feed the girls. I just dont want to be the only one who the girls get fed from, I think this will help with my stress level.  Now for this past week or so I have been debating if I want to try b/f at all. I am worried with how difficult this might be after I go back to work or I might feel like I always have a baby or a pump latched onto me. I know this is a personal choice that I have to make. Tell me I am not going to be a bad mom if I choose not to b/f.
M E L I S S A My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To b/f or not to b/f...

• Options

I am not a MoM yet but breastfeeding is a very personal choice and I think it's something that if you decide to do it, it takes a lot of commitment.  I don't think anyone is a bad mom for not breastfeeding and anyone that trys to guilt you into breastfeeding should be ashamed of themselves.  I have chosen to breastfeed purely for financial reasons.  If formula did not cost an arm and a leg I would totally be going that direction. 

Another idea is just to wait and see.  You don't have to make a choice now, you could give it a shot and make a decision later.

Good luck with whatever you choose. 

• Options
    I will preface this by saying that breastfeeding has been extremely rewarding for me, but definitely a very challenging thing, so I understand your reservations. With twins, everything you do will be more challenging. If you decide to formula feed, I don't think anyone can fault you for it. You have to do what works to keep you and the babies happy and healthy. I

will say, though, that if you don't try breastfeeding, and you think that you might want to, you may find that you have regrets later. If you do try, with the attitude that it doesn't have to be all or nothing, you may find that it works to breastfeed some and formula feed some. Or, you may find that breastfeeding works for you. At least if you try, going into it with an open mind, there is less of a chance of you having regrets later.

Just my opinion, feel free to take it or leave it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I B/F in the hospital and on the second day home, we switched to breast milk bottles and it was the BEST decision for us, life was much better.  IT was a special thing to do with the boys and I am glad i did it in the hospital.  I am really tired of pumping at this point and am switching to just formula soon.  good luck!!
  • Options
    You're right that it is a personal decision, but you won't be wrong with either choice...as long as the babies are fed and mom is happy then the babies will be great!  I never BF at all, and to this day I know that I made the right decision for myself and my babies.  I have FF since they were in the NICU (born at 29 weeks -  even if they were full term I had not planned to BF), and they have done fabulous with it.  It has allowed me to have someone else help me feed them at almost every feeding since they were born, which gives me a lot more freedom and less stress. Plus, I work about 60 hours per week and started back when the babies were 12 weeks old....I knew that with my job where I am running around all day, sometimes too busy to eat lunch myself, that there was no way I could pull off pumping without really stressing out.  My babies are 18 months old....perfectly healthy and happy boys!  HTH!
  • Options
    I bf while the babies were in the NICU (when they were able to)... did it for a little while at home but then went to pumping.  Pumping has been easier for me but it is still difficult as I have had a lot of problems with my breasts and pumping.  Now I only pump twice a day and have to supplement with formula.  There are so many options for you.  You will figure out what works best for you and what ever you decide is best for you will prove that you are a good mom!  Good luck!
  • Options
    I pumped for 6 mos and it was time consuming and sometimes stressful when I was solo w/ the babies.  I'm very proud of how long I was able to do it but will say it was a huge relief when I stopped.  It's a great thing to be able to bf your babies and it's also a great thing that science has allowed us to create something as close as formula.  You're not a bad mom if you choose to ff and don't let anyone else tell you different.
  • Options

As the pp have stated, it is a personal decision.  I chose not to BF or pump at all and I don't regret that choice a bit.  I knew all along I would not be into it and I also knew I'd be going back to work FT 8 weeks after they were born.  My twins were born 7 weeks early and I had a long discussion with the NICU dr.  My twins would need have formula supplements regardless and he said that there are pros & cons to both FF & BF.  My twins have been FF since day one and they are totally fine -- healthy & big (and you'd never know they were "preemies").

I took the path that my gut told me was best for us and it has worked well for us.  I wish you the best of luck with your decision! 

• Options

I am not a MoM yet, but I did b/f my son Anakin. Of course my circumstances are utterly different because Anakin was in the NICU 32 out of 34 days of his life, I chose to b/f because it was the one thing that I could do for my son that no one else could. He did not get formula too.

Also, I agree with others that maybe you should wait and decide after the babies are born. I didn't decide to pump for Anakin until he was 4 days old, but I pumped so much breastmilk. I feel that my body told me that I was meant to b/f. That may sound stupid, but even the lactation consultants were shocked by how much I could pump. I think my body really helped make that decision. And, it was easy for me to stop even though I was pumping so much (took me a week to stop).

So, it's up to you, but they say that a little breastmilk is better than none and maybe you'll just want to pump before you go back to work. Definitely don't feel bad though. Stressing about it just makes things worse than they have to be. As long as you're comfortable with your decision, that's what matters.

• Options
    Thank you for the words of support. I think it might also just be me needing to get nervous about something as my due date comes closer. Also, I have a pump already, it was my SIL and there are a few parts I need to buy so I wanted to make the decision before the girls get here so I can be ready. Thanks again for the advice going in both directions, I have a lot more thinking to do and at some point I will know what is the right thing for me to do.
    M E L I S S A My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You're not a bad mom if you choose not to do it. Your body may choose for you- mine did. After 10 days of nothing, I had zero let down. Didn't realize it until Molly had her appt and had lost weight while Lilly gained (Lilly refused the boob and went straight to formula).
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"