Preemies
Options

NICU and preemie info in antepartum

My first son was a preemie (30 weeker) and I'm currently in antepartum with my 2nd son. When I received the packet welcoming me to the unit there was a lot of different papers in there. One about maternity photos thy come to your hospital room, one about different online or on tv child birthing classes and visits from pets. Out of the 10 pages of paper there was nothing about preemies or the NICU and this is a level III NICU and a big hospital. As a first time mom with my first son I had an emergency c-section 6 days after I was admitted. During the time the only time anyone came to talk to me about having a preemie was an hour before I delivered. By that point I couldn't even comphrened what they were saying. I'm disappointed that this hospital Dosen't offer more information or education about having a preemie. I think as a preemie mom education is key and education before you deliver is even better! 

Whats your opinion? Do you feel you got adequate information about having a preemie? What do you wish you had?  

Mom to former 30 weeker born early to Pre-E. Now happy, health and growing at home!

Re: NICU and preemie info in antepartum

• Options

I agree with you! I was in antepartum for a MONTH on bedrest before the twins were born and I didn't get any info about the NICU until my water broke a few days before they were born. At that point, a NICU fellow came to talk about what to expect and answer questions. I feel like it was helpful, but it should've been done much earlier. I was already way to stressed and stuff to really let all her info sink in. I think mother's should be educated as soon as they are admitted into antepartum.

Best of luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I 100% agree with you also.  I was on hospital bedrest for 10 days before I had my 2nd daughter.  I was admitted because my water broke at 30 weeks 1 day and was in the antepartum, but my Dr. told me that he had already spoken to one of the NICU dr.'s and that they would be stopping by.  I loved the fact that they did this as MH and I had no idea what to expect. 

Our first was not a preemie and came home with us so this was all new to us and we were scared sh*tless!  This really gave us an understanding, but to be fully honest even with that you really don't understand it all until you are in the situation. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We received the regular hospital folder with information as well as a NICU folder full of papers just for moms that will use it.  My husband was visably worried while I was in labor, so they took him down and showed him around the NICU to try to calm him down.  I agree every hospital should be proactive about letting parents know, but parents can also ask.  Just a lot don't know what to ask if they are not already partially informed.
  • Options
    The day I was admitted (24 weeks) into antepartum before spending almost 5 weeks there, someone from the NICU came down to talk to me and scared me to death. They sat with me for an hour and explained what would happen if I went into labor that day on in that week.  They also told me I could tour the NICU, but my doctor would not let me get up and sit or stand, so that was not done.  I think each week I spent a lot of time googling what the odds were for each gestational week age. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member

I didn't spend any time in the antepartum unit, so my situation is a little bit different. I was admitted to the hospital and delivered that afternoon, but while they were trying to stop my labor, a neonatologist from the NICU came to talk to us to tell us what to expect if she was born that day. I found that to be really helpful, but I agree with above poster, that I really couldn't process it or understand it until I was going through the experience. I got a couple of brochures that explained the policies and procedures of the NICU, too.

I felt it was enough at the time, I couldn't really think about what else I would need. I really learned as I went as far as how the NICU worked and what a preemie would mean.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

imageiristony:
    The day I was admitted (24 weeks) into antepartum before spending almost 5 weeks there, someone from the NICU came down to talk to me and scared me to death. They sat with me for an hour and explained what would happen if I went into labor that day on in that week.  They also told me I could tour the NICU, but my doctor would not let me get up and sit or stand, so that was not done.  I think each week I spent a lot of time googling what the odds were for each gestational week age. 

This. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I was in for 4 days before my son was born. The day I was induced the nicu neonat. Came to see us and explain everything. He answered any questios we had and was really helpful. They also gave us a nicu binder with FAQ and information on the unit as well as information on preemies   I have a feeling I'll use it for a long time to come. I feel like I was given all the info I could have been. I was on bedrest with a mag drip so I couldn't have toured the nicu but I wish dh would have been able to. Although I'm not sure it would've helped... May have actually scared us more do maybe it wouldn't have been a good idea. Although I no longer think the nicu is a scary place, they perform miracles in there, the first couple times were shocking. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I must have had a much better hospital/doctors. The day that I was admitted they had two fellows from the NICU come and talk with me. Then later during my 50+ day stay they had some nurses stop in sporadically. Also, after each of the two growth ultrasounds that I received we discussed how that changed things. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"