1st Trimester

cradle or bassinet for first 3 mos?

So ladies I'm thinking I want to have my LO in my/my hubby's room for a while after he or she is born. I was looking online and just wondering what do you all think...will you use a bassinet or a cradle and if so any suggestions on brands or types? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it as the baby will move to a crib after a while, but looking for some suggestions/advice:-)
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: cradle or bassinet for first 3 mos?

• We had a bassinet (which my husband referred to as the Bassett hound). DD never slept a night in it...she hated it and we ended up bed sharing until she was 6 months. This time I p,an to try a co sleeper or a rock n play.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used a wooden Eddie Bauer bassinet someone gave us. I kept it beside my side of the bed and pulled DS into bed with me when he cried at night. It worked pretty well until we were ready to move him into his own room, around 3 months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • We used a Co-Sleeper. I loved it because I could just roll over and see the baby and didn't have to worry about having him in bed with me (hubby is a very very heavy sleeper!).
  • We tried everything under the moon and nothing worked- our daughter slept on our chest while we took shifts in the recliner in the living room for almost 6 weeks. I would get what you think logistically will work best, but be prepared for baby to decide.
  • We used the bassinet feature in our PNP and plan to do the same with this LO.  Ours also came with a changing table so it made it really easy to change him and put him down really easy.  

He slept fine so nothing else was necessary.  

• DD slept in her bassinet for almost 5 months. I got it cheap off Craigslist, but for this baby I want to get a new one.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• We have a bassinet we will be using, however we plan to try to have LO take at least 1 nap a day in the crib in the nursery so it gets used to room a little
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • We used a fisher price bassinet for the first 6 months or so. Hindsight I wish I would have got a co sleeper!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did the PnP with the bassinet insert, and it worked well. 

Hey cupcake, have you looked at co-sleepers?  That may also be a good option for you if you can score one at a good price.

• We had a bassinet that my parents got us.  We used it for about 8(ish) weeks or so.  My pedi actually recommended that we get him to his own crib as soon as possible.  He said that the sooner we do that, the better we'll all sleep.  While DS didn't sleep through the night or anything crazy, he did sleep better (and so did I - I wasn't waking at every tiny noise).  I'll use the bassinet again for awhile, I'd recommend not spending an arm and leg on it.
  • nattnnattn member
    We had a bassinet and PNP for DD and she slept horribly in both. Then we bought a Rock N Play and it was seriously the best purchase I made for DD, ever! She slept SO good in it. She had reflux issues and vomited all the time during the night until we bought the RNP. She never once vomited in the RNP. It is also extremely easy to take with you pretty much anywhere you go. I could go on all day about it!
  • JJsMumJJsMum member
    We did a pack 'n' play with a bassinet feature.  Chicco Adventure Playyard.  I wanted to get something that I could use beyond the newborn phase.  Now this is DS's bed when we travel, or an extra bed when my friend and their LOs are over.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• My side sleeper was amazing.  Pick baby up, nurse, and put back down to sleep without getting out of bed.. :)
  • I thought a cradle was a bassinet?  Learn something new!  ANYWHO!

We were given a bassinet before DD was born and used it for a short time before getting one of the Rock n Play other posters are talking about.  I love it!  Only downside was my bed is a bit higher unlike the bassinet which was pretty much the same height.  No biggie though, she slept well in it.  Its lightweight and folds up flat.  I used it several times during roadtrips and when we had to rush to my mothers once bc of crazy severe weather. 

I sold the bassinet at a yard sale so I'm debating on purchasing another bassinet or just starting with the Rock N Play.  We won't need to purchase much for this LO as we were team green last time and received TONS of gear instead of clothes...great perk of team green btw :]

• Kie310Kie310 member

Bassinet that attaches to the PnP for the first 2-3 months. He was still in his room, just in there instead of the crib. 

Will do this same for this one. 

• I know everyone loves the RnP but I would HIGHLY recommend that whatever you get is flat. We used a bassinet and when we decided to transition to the crib we had no problems at all.  Others who have there Lo's sleeping on an incline usually have a harder time transitioning to a flat surface. Some babies do get reflux and have to sleep on an incline but if you have a LO who has no problems have them sleep flat from the start.  You will be sooooooooooo grateful later.
  • We have a bassinet we used with DD for the first 6 weeks. She was an early roller so she was in her crib quick because it freaked me out.  Hoping to use the bassinet again this time.
  • we used a cradle, worked great an DS slept in it until was literally too big 4 it!!! they get longer use than a bassinet bc the r much bigger (or at least mine is)  both of my babies were looong so they got about 2wks outta a bassinett bc there is NO room in those things. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We tried so many things with ds. We finally had luck with the Rock n' Play and that lasted until he was about 4-5 months. Before that, we only had success with him sleeping on us. We'd take shifts.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagelilnugget:
    We used a Co-Sleeper. I loved it because I could just roll over and see the baby and didn't have to worry about having him in bed with me (hubby is a very very heavy sleeper!).

I'm unfamiliar, what is a co-sleeper?

• We have a Delta bassinet.
  • We loved the Fisher Price Rock-N-Play with DD and are planning on reusing it with this one.  It is perfect bed height, can easily be moved around the house, & it's affordable - PERFECT.  I just hope our new one loves it as much as DD did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • We will be using the Fisher Price Rock N' Play by our bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • DD slept in a bassinet insert in a PnP in our room for 5 months. I'm considering a RNP this time.
  • i used a bassinet for my 2nd baby so will most likely do so or a pack n play depending on which is cheaper, im not sure a brand name i usually get what is cheaper but also looks safe and is recommended by others. i usually shop walmart and they usually have really good ones.  my 2 yr old still sleeps in her pack n play cause she likes the inclosed space, the small space, but we also have a crib that hasnt been put up yet for new baby.good luck to all the moms to be.
    amanda hewitt
  • also how do i post my ticker on my profile and stuff it wont let me grab it or anything.
    amanda hewitt
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"