Military Families

Adoption & military?

My husband and I are just looking into adoption. I was told that the military reimburses for up to $2k after the adoption is complete. After that you have to fill out an expense type form. My DH is NG so Im not even sure if we qualify for that. Has anyone had success with this or know of any agencies that help the military members/families adopt?
DS- 4 years old, Natural m/c @ 7 weeks-12/1/09. Infertility issues- low ovarian reserve- low AMH and high FSH. Looking into adoption. Trying to figure out where to go with your little one? My favorite website is: Trekaroo AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Adoption & military?

• I don't have any answers for you, but I'd be very interested in whatever you find out! I have been thinking about adoption as a long term possibility as well. Good luck, I hope you get some answers!
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wanted to share this link in case anyone else is interested :)  https://www.militaryfamily.org/your-benefits/adoption/getting-started/
    DS- 4 years old, Natural m/c @ 7 weeks-12/1/09. Infertility issues- low ovarian reserve- low AMH and high FSH. Looking into adoption. Trying to figure out where to go with your little one? My favorite website is: Trekaroo AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DH and I adopted last year.  We were both AD then, and I have since separated.  The $2k reimbursement has a few stipulations, but you should be able to get that info through your finance office.  We haven't sctually submitted ours yet, so I'm not a ton of help on that.

We didn't really find any services or agencies geared specifically to help military members adopt.  We did know that we had the possibility of moving during the process, so there were a few things we were looking for in an agency/attorney.  Before you commit to working with anyone (ie hand over cash), make sure that they can work in other states or that you can transfer the services somewhere else.  We had our home study done independently so that we could take it to a different agency if we needed to.

There is also an allowable 21 days of PTDY for adoption-related travel.  My DH didn't use all of his since our baby was born close to home, but it can be a big help for interstate or international adoptions.  Paternity leave, however, does not apply to adoptive fathers.  I have heard of some units allowing it, but don't plan on that time off.  The regs state that it is only for married fathers when their wives have given birth.  Don't get me started...

If you have any specific questions that I can answer, let me know.  Also, the adoption board is great, and you might get some other answers over there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicbr>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMauidAims:
    Wanted to share this link in case anyone else is interested :)  https://www.militaryfamily.org/your-benefits/adoption/getting-started/

Thank you for sharing this link.  I have found it incredibly helpful.  My DH and I are expecting our first child any day now, but it has always been a dream of mine to adopt one of my children internationally as one of my best friends was adopted at the age of 9 from Vietnam and from the time she got to the US I knew that was something I wanted to do as an adult.  My DH and I had been planning on starting the adoption process sometime within the next year or two, and this link has a lot of useful information on where to start.  We sat down together yesterday and read through it.  Thanks again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"