Military Families

PCSing to Bragg - SAFE place to live for Family

Hello our family is moving to the  Bragg Area in September. Never being there I am hearing so many conflicting things about the area. I am looking to rent in Spring Lake or Southern Pines. Help on REAL advice on good neighborhoods. I would love a gated community (Single Family Home) :)

Re: PCSing to Bragg - SAFE place to live for Family

• I live in Fayetteville now and it's just like any other military town...some good and some bad places. Southern Pines is kind of far from base but if you don't mind a drive it's a nice area. Raeford is fairly nice, again kind of out there from base (like 15-20 mins) but not as far as Southern Pines. I am not a fan of Spring Lake. I find it kind of run down and...yeah I'm not a fan but some parts are nice. Like I said, I live in Fayetteville right near the center of town. It's not a bad place but I live in an apartment. They have some gated apartment complexes around here but I'm not sure about houses. I did live in a quiet neighborhood off of Ramsey st (also in Fayetteville) for awhile and did not have an issue. You just have to look around. Definitely avoid Bragg blvd and Murchison Rd though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LyseeHLyseeH member
    we have been here for 3 years we lived in a neighborhood called wessex place that has a ton of rentals and we love our new neighborhood we bought our house here in a neighborhood out near hope mills where its all new construction and theres a ton of for rent and for sale here its called acorn ridge! still in fayetteville but a nice area i love it here!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in Raeford but close to the Cumberland county line and love it. It takes me exactly 20 min to get on post in moderate traffic. The taxes are less in Hoke county also. I recommend living in a housing development since its mostly military families, which typically means its pretty safe. Our neighbors are all pretty helpful and friendly and we all look out for each other in terms of home security. Good luck!

Oh, and I completely second what the pp said about Spring Lake. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagechizekgeena:

I live in Raeford but close to the Cumberland county line and love it. It takes me exactly 20 min to get on post in moderate traffic. The taxes are less in Hoke county also. I recommend living in a housing development since its mostly military families, which typically means its pretty safe. Our neighbors are all pretty helpful and friendly and we all look out for each other in terms of home security. Good luck!

Oh, and I completely second what the pp said about Spring Lake. 

My friend has a beautiful house in Raeford. She PCSd to Texas and they rented it out but yes, I would love to live in Raeford should we ever decide to move. It's very quiet and peaceful.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • RN5406RN5406 member

When we lived in NC, we lived in Pinehurst. LOVED it! Southern Pines is beautiful too. It's a EASY drive through the range road (no lights, usually no cops). When my husband commuted, it took him 40-45 min from Pinehurst. Southern Pines would lessen the drive by 10-15 min. It's nicer out there, very family friendly and not hear the hustle and bustle of Fayetteville. I am a nurse and worked at Moore Regional Hospital and had my son there. Great hospital compared to what I have seen and heard of Cape Fear. If we had to go back we would prefer Southern Pines (a tad closer) or Pinehurst. And if you or your family golf, you're in the right place! I miss living there so much! If you need any info just message me and I'd be happy to help! 

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We're PCSing to Pope next week and will be living north of base/post in Cameron.  It's a little more rural.  My BIL and his family live in Southern Pines and love it there.  It's a bit more expensive, just like Pinehurst but it's VERY nice. 
  • We live right outside of Sanford (on the Bragg side) and love it.  We bought a new house.  I haven't seen rentals out this way, but I'm sure they're here with all the military turn over.  It takes my DH about 20 minutes to get to work.  The closest gate to us is only about 15 miles away from our house.  

There are a lot of bad areas, but a lot of good too.  There are even good parts of Fayetteville.  Have you considered living on base until you get to know the area? 

GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you everyone for your input. I have narrowed it down the Anderson Creek and southern pines (I think) we are only there for a short time. Hope one works out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"