June 2011 Moms

I seriously don't understand baby shoes

First, it seems like there are about 3 different sizing systems. Second, all these brands ppl are talking about cost upwards of $25 a pair. And they're supposed to grow out of them w/in 3 months? Are we really supposed to be okay with paying $100 a year in baby shoes?! Shoes that, at least for DD, won't be kept on for longer than 30 minutes at a time? I went to Once Upon a Child and got 4 (FOUR!!) pairs of shoes for Emma for a combined total of $10.50. She walks in them just fine, they fit and protect her feet, and they didn't break the bank. I just don't get paying store price for the Roobeez or the Pedipeds or the Nikes or Stride Rites or any of the others. I don't know, maybe this should have been my UO. Stick out tongue
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
DD born 5/15/11
DS born 11/12/12

Re: I seriously don't understand baby shoes

• I definitely know what you're talking about!  We get Robeez, but usually from Once Upon a Child like you said or I search the internet for the cheapest ones on clearance (so I definitely don't go for the cutest ones...).  I've been able to get some slightly used or new ones on ebay for decent prices too.  I will not pay $30 for them!  Though, with taxes & shipping I usually pay around $20...  When we move on to Stride Rites I'll be doing the same thing.  Tongue Tied
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only buy kid shoes on extreme clearence, with tons of coupon deals or at Once Upon a Child.  The most expensive pair I bought for DS1, who wears his shoes a little longer now, were $7 at a Reebok outlet store.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • nfrtnynfrtny member

This is my personal opinion, and why I'm okay buying new, expensive shoes for Cole... I've read that it's better to buy new shoes, because that way they can make their own impressions in the shoes, and not be forced to walk in the footprints of someone else. 

Also, my dad wore crappy hand me down shoes, that were definitely too small at most times, and didn't support his feet. His feet are seriously messed up now. He has tremendous lower back pain, arthritis in his hips, and his feet at constantly in pain. I understand that arthritis runs in my family and the shoes cause it, but I know that if his feet weren't so jacked up, he would be in less pain overall.

I believe that good shoes are incredibly important, and that's one area I'm willing to spend. And trust me, we have hand me down everything. I rarely buy new. Our exersaucer, our stroller, our walker, our rocking chair, our pack and play, all hand me downs. Hell, my couch, my lounge chair, my dining room table, my recliner, my tv stand, my coffee table, my dresser, all used by family given to us. I'm all for used stuff, especially if it's free. But, this is just one area I think is important to buy new, like buying new underwear lol 

• imagenfrtny:

This is my personal opinion, and why I'm okay buying new, expensive shoes for Cole... I've read that it's better to buy new shoes, because that way they can make their own impressions in the shoes, and not be forced to walk in the footprints of someone else. 

Also, my dad wore crappy hand me down shoes, that were definitely too small at most times, and didn't support his feet. His feet are seriously messed up now. He has tremendous lower back pain, arthritis in his hips, and his feet at constantly in pain. I understand that arthritis runs in my family and the shoes cause it, but I know that if his feet weren't so jacked up, he would be in less pain overall.

I believe that good shoes are incredibly important, and that's one area I'm willing to spend. And trust me, we have hand me down everything. I rarely buy new. Our exersaucer, our stroller, our walker, our rocking chair, our pack and play, all hand me downs. Hell, my couch, my lounge chair, my dining room table, my recliner, my tv stand, my coffee table, my dresser, all used by family given to us. I'm all for used stuff, especially if it's free. But, this is just one area I think is important to buy new, like buying new underwear lol 

Okay, so that's definitely one side I hadn't thought of or heard yet. And now it makes a little more sense, especially to have problems like that in your family. I definitely made sure the used shoes I got were in good condition though and none of them look like they had been worn much. But I think I'll probably consider this more and more as she keeps growing into new shoes.

DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • I am usually ok with used baby things but for some reason used shoes are something I am not comfortable buying! I have heard about used shoes not being good because of what pp said about impressions already being left in the shoe. I have feet problems and so does my brother so I really want to get lo off on the foot! I don't blame you for being annoyed about the price though, it is expensive. Babysteals and babyhalfoff and momabargains have lots of sales it just stinks to not be able to try them on.

Image and video hosting 
by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nfrtnynfrtny member

New vs. used: Although it might be tempting to use hand-me-down shoes from friends or family to save a few bucks, this is one area that requires you buy new. "Kids' shoes mold to their feet," Cox says. "If you use a hand-me-down pair of shoes, you are forcing your child's foot into a shoe that has already molded to the shape of someone else's foot, which means your toddler could end up with blisters."

https://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/buying-shoes-for-toddlers?page=3

Im pretty sure that's what I read right before I decided to buy Robeez. Idk though. I'm sure it wouldn't cause some great amount of pain/discomfort to use used shoes at this age, especially since my DS isn't in them much. But I think the cost is worth it, especially since we save so much money in other places from hand me downs, garage sales, and once upon a child. 

Im really frugal at the grocery store too, but when it comes to ice cream, I just have to have my Ben and Jerry's cookie dough, something's are just that important ;) lol 

• All good points, but my kid won't keep shoes on for more than 5 minutes, so I understand buying used for this age.  I will go with new when he actually keeps them on.  We're OK going barefoot most of the time.  Smile
  • I'm also fine paying more for shoes. While I would rather Nikolai be barefoot, there are situations where he needs something protecting his feet.  But in my opinion, that is all shoes should do - protect from cuts, punctures, that sort of thing.  Our feet evolved to work perfectly without shoes supporting them.  It's actually been proven that shoes mess up our feet, ankles, knees, hips, back more than if we had just gone barefoot.  So if I'm going to get him shoes, they will be the barefoot type shoes with wide toe boxes.  Yes, they cost a bit more, but it's worth it to me for proper foot development.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree, but we caved and bought DD shoes at Stride Rite. She is a 4 1/2W, and I couldn't find any reasonably priced shoes that fit her. In fact, I have a stack of relatively inexpensive 4s and 5s that I wasted money on because they don't fit right, she can pull them off, or they slide off her feet. We went to the Stride Rite Outlet and found two 4 1/2Ws in the store and paid $40 total. Money well spent, even if she only wears them for a few months, because they stay on and she actually likes them.

So, while I agree with your sentiment, I can say for us, we haven't been able to find inexpensive shoes that work. She has been walking for two months now, so shoes are a must at this point...so the bargain shopper in me had to cave and get Stride Rites. I really like them and will buy them again.

• I'm with you, at least until DS starts walking.  I absolutely will not spend full price on shoes at the moment.  He usually goes without shoes, but he wears socks and tennis shoes at day care when he plays outside in the sand and we have some hand-me-down sandals he wears when we go to the park.
  • Some of it may depend on how often/long they wear shoes. I am cheap as they come, but I shelled out $25 per pair for Lexi's pedipeds and see kai runs (and we found two brand new pairs of pedipeds/stride rites at consignment!). Her daycare requires her to wear shoes all day every day, even before she started really walking, so it is pretty important to me to have her in good shoes. If they were just for runs to target or whatever, I think I'd feel a lot differently.

But she's also been wearing the same pairs since she was 6 months old, and they still fit fine. She's still in the smallest size! I do think stride rite banks on telling parents to replace every 3 months. I'd guess they aren't going to outgrow them quite that often.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I guess it's really just like everything else - everything seems to cost too much. And Emma isn't walking w/o assistance yet or required to wear shoes all day in a daycare so I'm sure those factors, along with the points of not walking in someone else's footprints, will cause me to rethink what I get in the future. I'll certainly be trying to find the best deal possible when it does come time for a high quality pair of new shoes! I'm glad I posted this, I learned something new today and don't feel as up in arms about the whole thing anymore.
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • kas80kas80 member
    Well we don't have a Once Upon a Child here and the cosignment stores we do have don't have Robeez brands for any cheaper then buying them new.  And Caroline cannot wear any other brand because her feet are so narrow.  Since the alternative is having her toddle around outside barefoot and possibly puncture her foot, I am okay with paying the prices we have to.  I buy one pair of shoes in each size in a neutral color and she wears them with everything.  That's the way I deal with the sticker shock.  If her feet stay this narrow I better get used to it since Stride Rite is pretty much our only option even as she gets older.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I get what you are talking about, yet I am one that buys the brands you mentioned. Unfortunately we have had very little luck at Once Upon a Child in the sizes we have needed. We spent over 4 hours trying to find something that fit him and started at Once Upon A Child. They seem to have way more for girls than boys. It sucks, but he needs shoes so I will pay if I have to...
  • The first new shoes, not just new-to-us, we decided to buy after he'd been walking for a bit and we started letting him roam on cement. I think it helps them stay on that these were sized in a store instead of me guessing and wedging his fat foot in there! We had some that looked great that I got second hand and he could flip them right off. I didn' teven put shoes on him until he was standing outside. 

You are right...kiddo better love them because he has 1 pair of shoes for the next 3 months. 

• akayfakayf member

A has actual Robeez sandals that I found at Home Goods months ago for $10.   I bought them in hopes that they would fit him by summer.   And they do!  

My older son has extra wide feet so I have to buy him Stride Rites.   He only gets 1 or 2 pairs each season and I try to either buy them during a BOGO, using a coupon, or at the outlet.    The only time I've paid full price for a pair of Stride Rites was when he finally was potty trained.   He really wanted a pair of race car light up shoes so that was his reward and they unfortunately were not on sale when he finally was trained.  

Since these are the only shoes they wear, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars.   I would rather spend $$ on 1 pair of better shoes for them than buy several pairs of Payless or Target shoes.

• vigurlvigurl member
    The most expensive pair of shoes LO has ever worn are $4.  And I put them back ln the shelf 3x  before buying them.  I buy new or barely worn shoes from the consignment stores or sales and that wont change anytime soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"